• Register
  • Help

Topic: Von Elise geklaut

Share/Bookmark

Von Elise geklaut

Another piece, based on Fuer Elise. Poor Ludwig!

https://soundcloud.com/richard-wayland/von-elise-geklaut

Re: Von Elise geklaut

Hi Richard,

What a well crafted approach. The title gives it away, but the middle piece is the most clear hint to Ludwig. I like the way you play with the rhythmic patterns and the harmonic basis of the original, without falling into copying. Fantastic.

If I'm allowed to utter my preference: the piano sounds a little dark. I would like it a bit more shiny, the lower parts would benefit from it. Of course that doesn't say anything about your creative efforts and the wonderful result. Maybe our 'old and fatigued' ears demand too much brilliance to compensate the loss of it...

Wonderful job!
    Max

Ditto to Max, Richard.
    It is wonderful. I do not know how you are working, or your equipment either, but I see sometimes your actual score of your work, so you do have your left hand score available to you, can you apply 1./ some slight reduction in volume to the left hand, and 2./ could you apply some EQ separately to the left hand to reduce the "darkness" ( as Max put it). The right hand, to me, is just sounding very nice.
    The whole work is just so inventive, so SMART, it is just great.

Ted

Thank you, Ted & Max. Very pleased you liked it, as I consider it a pretty good piece of work!

You both noticed the matter which gave me the most trouble. I can alter the balance between than hands, not a problem except a bit tedious. What I will need to do is take a short segment of each hand individually and adjust the levels. This can be done by opening two instances of the piano, and assigning one hand to each. The imbalance is not consistent throughout. When that is done, I can then adjust the master volume easily. I had also considered equalization, but have not liked previous results. l I like a piano with a strong bass and mellow treble, and that to me is the dominant characteristic of Baldwin grands, my favorite piano for as long as I can remember. Back in the sixties, in Germany, a friend asked me to describe my ideal piano. I did, and his response was "you have just described a Baldwin grand." Well, I knew that, of course.

Richard

I just educated myself in using an EQ, and realized that what ever I was doing before with the EQ available in Sonar, and how I was using it was all wrong.
    I am in the process to get a proper EQ, and then try to use it properly.
    Can I download your piece as a wav- file? I would love to use it as a good place to start, and would promise to report to you the results, either posting it on Box or sending the file back to you. Certainly if you wish, we could do this directly via e-mail. I would send you my address via PM if you are interested.

Ted

Very enjoyable Richard. I'm typing this as I listen so I better not say it is pretty traditional for you quite yet. Oh! There you are off and running.

I found a Kickstarter for someone who was planning to create a Baldwin grand piano sample library using their "beautiful Baldwin grand piano". It looks like the last update was the 31st of August 2015 though. Clicking on the round picture brings up a contact option.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...in-grand-piano

Phil

I just uploaded a new version. Only changes were in levels and balance, which greatly enhances clarity. It took me too many hours to do this. Somehow the gremlins got in and messed over the audio, and it took a grand effort by me to send them packing. So I will now recover my strength by taking a nap.

I tried some equalizing, but it was detrimental. My ancient ears are about the only part of me that are still nearly meet my original specs. I started with extremely high frequency sensitivity, which was both a problem and an asset. It was great for repairing tv sets from the rear without needing a mirror because I could hear the horizontal frequency oscillator, which is generally beyond human hearing range but it hurt my ears. My hearing has now deteriorated down to the normal hearing range. Did you really need to know that?

Richard

Go Back to forum