• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Active Monitors

Active Monitors

sponsored links

I\'m investigating some active monitors. If I had my way, I\'d have some Mackie HR-824\'s in addition ot some NS10\'s. That\'s what I learned on and I really like the combination of those 2. BUT!!! I can\'t afford those. I need some cheap accurate reference monitors, preferably active. The Behringer Truths look pretty good and get rather positive reviews. Any testimonials about reference monitors would be great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks in advance [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Active Monitors

With all due respect to Bruce, who writes for ProRec (but didn\'t write those reviews), my opinions are 180 degrees opposite to the ones in many of those write-ups. I saw that series of reviews a few years ago, and I\'m chagrined to see it still around.

Speakers are very subjective, but giving the V8 an F and the Mackies an A+?! It makes no sense.

I recently purchased a \"starter\" pair - Yorkville YSM-1\'s.

I work on pair of Truth\'s for about 2 years now, and well...I didn\'t changed the still, altough I could if I wanted to... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For the price they are amazing, especialy now where you can find them for 300$ a pair..

www.Audiomidi.com is having a sale on the Mackie HR624\'s currently for around $350 each. I have a pair of them, and the imaging is quite nice. The low-end is clean and distinct as well. Just my 2c.

Hi Micheal, I\'m using a pair of M-Audio BX8 monitors. They are active and very good for the price range. (I wanted some HR824\'s too!)

These speakers have been given very good reviews and have some nice features like frequency rolloffs. They also have an acoustic space switch that you can set depending on whether or not the speaker is in a corner, near a wall etc.

Hi Michael,

Speakers are tricky I think. There are studio monitors that make all your music sound wonderful, and then there are monitors that better replicate what your music will sound like once it\'s burned to cd and played on the consumer home or car stereo.

I have k-rok - which are older, but they still offer them.

They tend to lean toward emulating the \"after burn to cd, consumer play\" that I like and mix to.

Hope that helps.

My studio is equiped with mackie hr 824, all i can say is those are great, very good bass response too, amazing, you would think there\'s a subwoofer in the room, sometimes i think they sound TOO GOOD, but that isnt the monitor\'s problem, it is my problem, when your monitors sound too good, it is hard for inexperienced ears to find flaws, , , so yes, it is still true that if it sounds good with ns 10s, it sounds good anywhere, whereas, if it sounds good, on your mackie\'s it may not sound good out there, but really it is a matter of getting used to them, getting used to the sound of your room, listening to hi fi cds through your monitors, and getting to know how a very good mix is supposed to sound through them

I\'ve heard that the 624\'s are actually better for transients, due to their smaller cone size, but that may not be true. All I know is that I don\'t need the 824\'s. I think my house would collapse! Lol. MAYBE for the few extra Hz the 8\'s offer, but that\'s about the only reason I\'d get those over the 6\'s. (I think there\'s a sub in the room too, sometimes. Especially while playing around with Trilogy!) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast