• Register
  • Help

Topic: Email Virus Alert

Email Virus Alert

sponsored links

There\'s a new one called \"MyDoom\" and it is spreading at an expontential rate. So much so that Symantec hastily upgraded its threat potential from 1 to a 4 overnight. (Or was that 4 to 1? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] anyway....)

Dont open any attachment that is a zip file and is 22.8kb in size.

Re: Email Virus Alert

I have Mcaffe antivirus. When I routinely receive notice of updates from them, I usually click \"Ignore and continue what I was doing\". I did this with the most recent Mcaffe warning (for Mydoom), and they would not let me ignore and continue. I was literally forced (dragged, kicking and screaming) to the Mcaffe site for an update.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It´s the worst virus ever created. Read this too http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5149764.html?tag=nefd_top

Why do people open attachments from e-mail senders they do not know or e-mail that look suspicious? I have never understood this considering the amount viruses that require the victim’s participation and the level of e-mail virus education that has gone on. What am I missing?

By the way, I did a VERY extensive test of several anti-virus apps. I have a file of 7 viruses, and only two caught them all: Bitdefender 7.2 Home Edition, and Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004. The rest failed (Norton, McAfee, AVG, avast!, etc).

If you care to test your own anti-virus software, here\'s the ZIP file:

WARNING/DISCLAIMER!!! This zip file contains SEVEN KNOWN VIRUSES/TROJANS/BACKDOORS. DO NOT RUN THE FILES!! If you unzip the zip file, you SHOULD be fine. I along with many other testers have unzipped the file and no harm has come to us. Still, I take no responsibility for any damage to anyone\'s systems as a result of opening this file.

To test your software, just unzip the file to a folder and open the folder. Some anti-virus apps will catch them right away. If not, try moving the mouse over each virus... usually then, the auto-protect will catch it. If all else fails, do a manual scan of the folder.

And for your reference, if you decide to switch to Panda or Bitdefender:

PS: I am in no way affiliated with either company.

West Seneca, NY

An email was sent to an administrator here at school that was address to him and apparently sent by him. It read; “Your picture - click here”. He did, nothing appeared in the window, nothing happened. Guess what, It was the virus and thus his system was trashed. I don\'t understand how it works, but the IT tech teacher warned us about it.
    Take it for what its worth.

West Seneca, NY

Originally posted by Christian Obermaier:
    Well, what can i say. If he *as the admin* has really engaged in this totally dumb action, then he *as the admin* deserved no better than having his system trashed.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree with your views however no one is perfect! Even well educated administrators.

Go Back to forum