• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigues

Share/Bookmark

"Modern" Gigues

All,

The gigue is a very old formal dance style from a time at least two-hundred years ago. It was usually written in 3/4 meter. (My gigues below impart a feeling of 6/8 and the tempo is quite a bit faster than the original gigues of the eighteenth century.)

Here are three of my "modern" gigues in various forms:

"Gigue In E Minor" (Two Guitars)

"Gigue In E Major" (Woodwind Ensemble - Flute, Oboe and Bassoon)

"Gigue In C" (Solo Steinway Model D Piano)

Regards to everybody.

Larry Alexander

Re: Gigues

I liked them all, but the third, the piano version is what I like most.
    Lovely writing again, usual of you...

Ted

Hi Larry,

They are aal 3 very beautiful and worth listening to, but I prefer the second.

In my experience, a gigue is (in many cases the end of a suite) a rhythm dividable by 3 (¾, 6/8, 9/8, ⅜...), not necessarily a ¾. Most baroque gigues have a 6/8 meter. Bach is (as usual) the contrary one and has written gigues in 2/4. That is unusual, but of course triplets can have the same rhythmic result.

Wonderful and uplifting job, Larry!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Max

Every once in awhile, a piece of music comes along that just lifts the soul. These pieces clearly fall into that category. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I liked them all, but the third, the piano version is what I like most.
    Lovely writing again, usual of you...

Ted
    I appreciate your comments, Mister Ted. Thanks and pasa buen dia!

Best,

Larry Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Larry,

They are aal 3 very beautiful and worth listening to, but I prefer the second.

In my experience, a gigue is (in many cases the end of a suite) a rhythm dividable by 3 (¾, 6/8, 9/8, ⅜...), not necessarily a ¾. Most baroque gigues have a 6/8 meter. Bach is (as usual) the contrary one and has written gigues in 2/4. That is unusual, but of course triplets can have the same rhythmic result.

Wonderful and uplifting job, Larry!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Max
    I agree with you concerning all of the specifications and meter varieties of gigues, Mister Max.

Thanks for listening.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Every once in awhile, a piece of music comes along that just lifts the soul. These pieces clearly fall into that category. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Tom
    Good day to my North Dakota friend. Are you up to your nose in snow yet, Mister Tom?

Thanks and best regards.

Larry Alexander

Larry,

We have about 3 inches of snow still on the ground. It melts very slowly when nightly temperatures drop to 14 below zero and the winds bring a wind chill of 50 degrees below zero. But I have a well insulated house, a fire place, a cup of hot chocolate and a warm puppy. All is well.

Only the frustration of the music software to still chills the heart. Something has gone very very wrong. Even Finale 2014 no longer maintains correct pitch among its parts. And the EWQL Symphonic Choirs are so out of tune they have become useless.

Then again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with pen and paper. I wrote that way for 50 years; all will be fine.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post
    Good day to my North Dakota friend. Are you up to your nose in snow yet, Mister Tom?

Thanks and best regards.

Larry Alexander

Very nice work Larry!

All different but they communicate the same basic feeling.

The piano was the most enjoyable but maybe that's because it sounds the best for a sampled instrument but also the dynamics.

You're probably having pretty nice weather down there. I guess El Niño has arrived here bringing more moderate winter temps and rainfall for awhile. But I wouldn't know since Iv'e never met the guy.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Very nice work Larry!

All different but they communicate the same basic feeling.

The piano was the most enjoyable but maybe that's because it sounds the best for a sampled instrument but also the dynamics.

You're probably having pretty nice weather down there. I guess El Niño has arrived here bringing more moderate winter temps and rainfall for awhile. But I wouldn't know since Iv'e never met the guy.

Phil
    We're having alternating spring-like and then Yankee-type weather. Hurry Springtime, hurry!

Thanks for having a listen to my gigues, Mister Phil.

Good day to you!

Best,

Larry Alexander

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast