• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Should negative posts be deleted?

Share/Bookmark

Should negative posts be deleted?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I have to say, it seems on Northern Sounds there is a clear policy to remove any posts that are less than enthusiastic about any given library marketed by NS sponsors. Clearly these boards are valuable marketing tools but if any negative post gets deleted then the credibilty goes out the window. All you end up with is gushing and hype. I\'ve got to respect developers that allow nearly unmoderated discussion about their products on their very own site (Like say, Apple, Cubase) These boards are full of post from users with complaints and criticism and real opinions. Even very unfair ones. The posts remain.

Dissatisfied customers get pissed off. It\'s a fact of life and is quite understandable.

The Northern Sounds boards are a great place to discuss sample libraries but not if all you get is hype and watered down opinions.

Re: Should negative posts be deleted?

I think it´s the Vintaudio post you are refering to. To my understanding this post was not deleted because it was negative but because emotions went far too high and there seemed to be nothing more to discuss.
    I think sometimes it´s good to press the \"reset button\" and start again and that´s why NS did well in deleting this post.

Just my 1.8 cents

No, no.

Disrespectful and unconstructive personal attacks (like the one posted a while ago) are the ones that aren\'t tolerated here, and even then you\'re only going to get warned. People also fight here all the time and it\'s only healthy for clearing the air and is completely allowed, right?

If I download a demo I don\'t particularily like, I usually keep my mouth shut, but not because I\'m scared of someone taking a jab at me or banning me(like some \"patriot\" who lowered my rating propably because of a recent half-political post I wrote). I love it when people are critical, but some can\'t draw the line of \"being honest\" and \"being rude\" where it should be. I get constructive criticism each time I post something on my website and it\'s from people I know and respect. For a lot of people, this forum is the place for that, so they should expect to be treated fairly and not be hit below the belt.

And saying there isn\'t \"free speech\" in this forum is only silly [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Certain restrictions and the individuals posting here make this forum a pleasant place to be in. Very much like a school without bullies.

Ok that\'s what I think anyway.

I\'m not only refering to the Vintaudio post but more about what I\'ve seen around here in the past.

I see the Vintaudio post was moved here in the OT section. That\'s cool.

If some customers have complaints about a product or something, I want to hear it! I want to hear praise as well. But if criticism is filtered out then I can\'t take positive reviews too seriously. I want to know the good AND the bad.

If anything, criticism creates an opportunity for a developer to defend (and promote) his product.

Hi,

I think your remarks about the behavior on the forum are well-founded. I was part of the Vintaudio thread and found it to be a terrible personal experience. I hope that that doesn\'t happen to me or anybody else on NS ever again.

Hi Motley. Hope you and Franky worked out your differences.

Originally posted by Motley:
    Hi,

I think your remarks about the behavior on the forum are well-founded. I was part of the Vintaudio thread and found it to be a terrible personal experience. I hope that that doesn\'t happen to me or anybody else on NS ever again.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s kind of strange you would feel that way, inasmuch as you\'re the one who started the thread and set its tone with your hostile and misguided public airing of dirty laundry. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Hi,

I understand your saying that it seems strange I feel this way. My original post did set the tone and you know what? I was pretty upset. I\'ll admit it. It was obvious - I was upset. Did anybody consider why I felt that way? It didn\'t seem like it.

I really felt that I received poor service from the other party and felt that putting a warning out to others on the forum would be a way to let people know about my experience. That was my intent. I\'ve spent a lot of money upgrading my rig and its always a bummer when you put money into it and you get less than optimal results. I\'m sure you can relate. I\'m tired of soaking money into my rig and feeling like its a roll of the dice whether the products I use are going to actually deliver what they promise.

I don\'t want this to be a rehashing of the other thread. I just really felt that my side of the story was lost in some kind of quagmire. I firmly believe that people who provide service to people should treat their customers with more respect than I received - even if I was wrong. Even if I was wrong. I\'ll say it again. Even if I was wrong. I worked in a customer service related retail business for six years and the kind of treatment I received yesterday would have gotten me fired if I talked to customers that way. Think about how you would feel if the cable company or the phone company or the salesperson at Best Buy treated you the way I was treated. How would you feel if you called the phone company and they told you the problem you were reporting didn\'t exist because no one else had it? Huh? You\'d feel blown off and you\'d be pretty darn upset about it.

So yes, if I had it to do over, I would rephrase the wording of my original post but I\'d still post it. I think people should be made aware of problems they experience with audio products and the companies that make them. Put youself in my place and consider what I was going through. If the people on the boards give me a chance, they\'ll see that I\'m a pretty nice guy who actually knows a lot about music and is interested in sharing ideas and learning new things. I\'m just trying to make it in the biz like everyone else, and I don\'t want to get ripped off along the way. Again, I\'m sure you can relate. So, I hope I\'ve explained why the tone of my original post was the way it was.

Originally posted by Motley:
    Think about how you would feel if the cable company or the phone company or the salesperson at Best Buy treated you the way I was treated. How would you feel if you called the phone company and they told you the problem you were reporting didn\'t exist because no one else had it? Huh? You\'d feel blown off and you\'d be pretty darn upset about it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bad example.

First off, I live in a country where \"Customer Service\" is an alien concept. Here, the motto seems to be \"The customer is full of poopie.\"
    [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (I hope that wording adheres to forum policy).
    Actually, I had the exact experience you describe with the phone company...I screamed a bit, demanded the supervisor, and 20 minutes later the repairman was at my door.

The problem with your analogy is that the phone company and BestBuy have millions of customers. If you have a bad experience and you feel the need to slag on them and hurl accusations in public, they\'re not going to feel it. And even if they were to lose a few customers, there are many more ready to replace them. And nobody\'s livelihood is likely to be endangered as a result.

Unfortunately, sample developers don\'t have millions of customers---they have hundreds, maybe thousands TOPS (and I\'m sure you can count those developers with 1000\'s on one or two hands). You dump on them in public, and the damage could be immediate and permanent. We are members in a small community.

You should have picked up the phone.

Point taken, but I do think my analogy fits any situation that involves a buyer and a seller. I hope we can all learn from this. Others may feel they need to take the same approach I took, but they should definitely consider all their options before acting. I wish you well and I hope the negativity dissipates on the boards.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast