• Register
  • Help

Topic: Winter Scenes

Share/Bookmark

Winter Scenes

Walking through the woods near town I stumbled upon a young doe lying under a hedge with her fawn warmly snuggled up to her. She seemed totally unconcerned with my presence; instead paying attention to the fawn. They seemed content, almost regal in their posturing.

The attached is now the second movement to "Winter Scenes," a set of tone poems for young string players.

Its subtitle is "A Mothers Warmth"

https://app.box.com/s/o6axkrin2srgg9iw75i1f7t2ssxv6aop

Tom

Re: Winter Scenes

Very lovely, Tom. Did I hear a bassoon in there? It may have been violas or cellos. In any case, a nice composition for strings, one I'm sure young players would be attracted to. I did think it could use more bass, but that's just me, I love a strong bass line. Not all compositions need that, especially if the other movements have a lot of it. In which case, you could say it was "bass relief."

Thanks for listening, Michael. The piece was first orchestrated for Oboe, English Horn, French Horns and Celli. A friend that teaches middle school strings opined that it would be great for his level of student. He asked if I could arrange it for a special group that had only violins and cellos.

The version that you heard was for 3 violins and 2 cellos. The bass line is high and only rarely drops below Base Clef third space C. I would like to do some more work on the sound, but I haven't learned how to use my new DAW software.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Very lovely, Tom. Did I hear a bassoon in there? It may have been violas or cellos. In any case, a nice composition for strings, one I'm sure young players would be attracted to. I did think it could use more bass, but that's just me, I love a strong bass line. Not all compositions need that, especially if the other movements have a lot of it. In which case, you could say it was "bass relief."

I do feel how you felt seeing the deer. And that means you managed to convey your feelings. What more can yo ask for?
    If I may suggest, consider putting some rests, cutting your lovely sentences with a little separation so we can feel your structure more.
    What DAW you are using?

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I do feel how you felt seeing the deer. And that means you managed to convey your feelings. What more can yo ask for?
    If I may suggest, consider putting some rests, cutting your lovely sentences with a little separation so we can feel your structure more.
    What DAW you are using?

Ted
    Thank you, Ted. This sample is straight out nof Finale 2014 - no DAW.

I have been trying to learn Studio One3 Pro7. So far all I've gotten are some very distorted squeeks and squalks.

Tom

Thay's very pretty Tom.

I think it captures the scene and feeling well.

I thought it sounded like a notation rendering so you just have to use a little more imagination to hear it being performed.

I have the older Studio One 2 Producer which I got for half price a few years ago but I never really used it. The new Pro 3 version was quite an improvement but I had already committed to learning Logic Pro X when it was released. Studio One seems pretty user friendly but I'm sure there is still a painful learning curve involved.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Thay's very pretty Tom.

I think it captures the scene and feeling well.

I thought it sounded like a notation rendering so you just have to use a little more imagination to hear it being performed.

Yes, all of my sampled work is done in Finale 2014.

I have the older Studio One 2 Producer which I got for half price a few years ago but I never really used it. The new Pro 3 version was quite an improvement but I had already committed to learning Logic Pro X when it was released. Studio One seems pretty user friendly but I'm sure there is still a painful learning curve involved.
    I received the Pro 3 software about a month ago and have just started trying to use it. So far, after I load a piece of music, it sounds at least an octave too high (or even higher) very thin and scratchy. Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing.

Tom

Hi Tom,

This is a well written piece for young musicians, which is obviously the main goal. I don't know what library you've used but I notice that you only use sustains with a rather harsh attack. That makes the violin and cello sound a bit strange and unnatural. You can't correct this with whatever DAW (or you would have to cut the key velocity drastically). It's more a matter of choice and variation in the techniques and articulations.

I've started working with Studio One 3 Pro some months ago and must say that the results are surprisingly good, although I still have a lot to learn. You would have noticed that most of the tutorial videos deal with recorded wave files and not with midi based scores (either in Notion or in Finale...) I addressed the SO people to make them aware that most 'classic' composers still write notes. They have Notion (also in Personus) as notation program, but it doesn't work together with SO (only as slave in rewiring, which isn't directly usable for us).

Your piece offers a lot of possibilities to get acquainted with different articulations and that would encourage the students to experiment a little more in bowing and articulating. The written score is of course the most important part, but the audio example is an extra stimulus.

Well done and go on with SO, it's more than worth the while!
    Max

Thank you for the information and encouragement. I have been playing with the piece some more and found (somewhat to my surprise) that the use of the sharp shape tool to phrase notes together does in fact smooth the odd attack sounds. Much to be experimented with along that line.

Also backing off the volume level in the Studio View has helped considerably. I usually set the volume high for monitoring purposes, but have also noticed that when I transfer the sample to "Box" the volume is even louder.

Mostly I use the Finale to produce scores and parts for clients and the sampled instruments to give the client an idea of what they will be getting. Fortunately no one has expected my audio samples to be good examples of what the works will sound like with live musicians and a competent conductor.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Tom,

This is a well written piece for young musicians, which is obviously the main goal. I don't know what library you've used but I notice that you only use sustains with a rather harsh attack. That makes the violin and cello sound a bit strange and unnatural. You can't correct this with whatever DAW (or you would have to cut the key velocity drastically). It's more a matter of choice and variation in the techniques and articulations.

I've started working with Studio One 3 Pro some months ago and must say that the results are surprisingly good, although I still have a lot to learn. You would have noticed that most of the tutorial videos deal with recorded wave files and not with midi based scores (either in Notion or in Finale...) I addressed the SO people to make them aware that most 'classic' composers still write notes. They have Notion (also in Personus) as notation program, but it doesn't work together with SO (only as slave in rewiring, which isn't directly usable for us).

Your piece offers a lot of possibilities to get acquainted with different articulations and that would encourage the students to experiment a little more in bowing and articulating. The written score is of course the most important part, but the audio example is an extra stimulus.

Well done and go on with SO, it's more than worth the while!
    Max

Thumbs up Re: Winter Scenes

Very nice Tom... I hope you appreciate if i say you deserve some better sounds

No offence to the glorious tools you are using, but the opposite, take it as an encouragement.

Go Back to forum