• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best D/A converters?

Share/Bookmark

Best D/A converters?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi,

I am currently using an Aardvark direct pro 24/96. I love the line in\'s and A/D converters, but the outputs...well, I want to get some outputs that aren\'t quite as hot. I would like a sound card with some good Analogue outputs. Any suggestions?

I would prefer something that had a low floor noise. Does having an external breakout box with the converters outside of the PCI card really make a big difference?

Thanks in advance

Re: Best D/A converters?

Originally posted by MusicalCharities:
    Does having an external breakout box with the converters outside of the PCI card really make a big difference?

Thanks in advance
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have 2 sound cards in my daw - one with a breakout box(Soundscape Mixtreme) and one without (Yamaha sw1000xg) - both used to be in the price range of $ 1000.

In my case it makes a big difference: When using the Mixtreme, sometimes I get a surprise when complete silence is interrupted by some regular Windows sound. I am really happy about the Yamaha for many other reasons.....But I don\'t get those surprises - there is no such thing as \"complete silence\" when using that card

How much are you willing to spend for \"x\" number of inputs? I\'d definitely trade out number of inputs for quality a/d converters if you are just layering tracks one at a time (as in most studios these days).

Without a doubt Apogee. Try the rosetta series. For 2 channels of a/d it is about $1100. However, they range up to $3800 for more channels.

You just run the outs of the a/d converters to the digital ins on your card. Buy some good pre\'s though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ahhhh....now I see you are talking about d/a converters. Nevertheless, same case. Apogee.

Benchmark DAC1

Benchmark are the best converters I sell. They are truly the best sounding and highest quality D/A and A/D converters in the world and they are very reasonably priced.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

The Benchmark DAC1 does have a stellar reputation and is on my shopping list. If you\'d prefer a sound card option, the Lynx cards are known for having excellent converters.

Originally posted by seanmccoy:
    The Benchmark DAC1 does have a stellar reputation and is on my shopping list. If you\'d prefer a sound card option, the Lynx cards are known for having excellent converters.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I very much agree that the Lynx cards are excellent, and are my first choice and recommendation to my customers for quality PCI audio cards.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

What lynx card would you recommend? Sounds awesome, certainly better S/N ratios than what I\'ve been using so far.

I am looking for something that I can record a maximum of 2-3 analogue sources from, in Sonar 3.0.

Do lynx cards offer GSIF support?

Yes, Lynx cards do provide GSIF support. The LynxTWO \"A Model\" provides four analog ins and outs.

Here is a link for more information...
    http://www.lynxstudio.com/lynxtwo.html

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Thank you for the info!

I checked cakewalks hardware comatibility page, but I think that it is old. Can I use the card in Sonar 3.0? And would the L22 be good enough, if I just needed to analogue I/O\'s?

I might just have to break down and get a get set of converters soon. I just got a new grace preamp, and really need gear that will help make it shine.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast