• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT- Need advice on Soundproofing - Calling All Freaks!

Share/Bookmark

OT- Need advice on Soundproofing - Calling All Freaks!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Thanks for answering the call!

I just found a neat little 500sq.ft. space for me to relocate. However, it is in a small building that holds regular office business, so I need to soundproof it cheaply, effectively, quickly, and hopefully in an aesthetically pleasing way. (Am I asking too much? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

It\'s just my midi/writing room, so it\'s not going to be very loud - no live guys or anything.

It\'s one story, so I don\'t need to worry about above or below me, and I think it\'s an end unit, so I\'m only worrying about 1 wall. However, the main enterance to the space is a long French sliding glass door. I normally wouldn\'t be too concerned, except that when I looked at it (during business hours) you could hear a pin drop in the atrium, which is the direction all the offices face.

Thank you for any advice. Again, most important right now is fast and cheap. Thanks.

Re: OT- Need advice on Soundproofing - Calling All Freaks!

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

http://www.auralex.com/

http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_background/TE-14/teces_14.html

http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue63/soundproofing.html

Some sites are better than others. That\'s just some bookmarks I have for quick reference. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Nathan, I\'m no acoustics expert, so all I can do is offer another link;

www.acoustics101.com

Furst I\'ve been building a 1000 Sq ft space out for the last couple months. PM me and we can chat about what I\'ve done and it may or may not help [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

Hey Nathan,

Lee is correct. It\'s easy to pleasantly deaden a room inexpensively but soundproofing is a different matter completely. You are only going to stop the transmission of sound through mass and airspace. You say you are only worrying about one wall, but working only on one wall isn\'t going to stop the transmission of sound through the floor, celing and other walls. Even if there\'s nobody below and above you, floor and celing are going to transmit sound to the adjacent offices.

Acoustically pleasant sounding rooms can be created for relatively small amounts of money as compared to spaces that have to be sound-PROOFED.

I hate to say it but I don\'t know that there is a good solution to your problem aside from the obvious; monitoring at a low level during the day and then feeling more comfortable in the evening (if you work at night) to raise your levels after everyone goes home.

Good luck!

-matt mariano

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I\'m not too concerned about it sounding great. Working out of converted bedrooms has made my ears very unsophisticated. I am worried about the leakage, and I don\'t know how -ish the neighbors will be...unfortunately I\'ll find out when I move in.
    I don\'t monitor at INSANE levels, so I\'m hoping I can get away with a sort of quick fix hack job. Doesn\'t need to be perfect, just good enough.
    So I guess I\'m not realisticly looking for sound proof as much as sound resistent.
    I\'m just stoked that I actually found space in Calabassas at $1.40 per sq ft., and it doesn\'t even look like a crack house!

Having the room filled with a couple of couches, a rug, and maybe some bass traps may have to do...coupled with listening at lower levels. Maybe some tapestries. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That word always makes me think of the butler from Last Crusade.

When I built my own studio, one of the problems was to create a drummers room where it was essential that no sound reached any other part of the studio or indeed the rest of the building.

I asked Rick Wakeman for some ideas since he had had several studios himself and had much input on Brian Enos\' home studio. We sat down and discussed many possibilities and the best plan was as below:-

For the glass window from the control room, I used three double glazed units with about 1\" of air between. The door was made out of carpeted MDF with 6\" rockwool slab* in between and double seals.

For the rest I used up to 9\" of rockwool slab and double 1/2\" plasterboard. as a result even a manic drummer cannot be heard anywhere apart from in the drummers room apart from a super pianissimo whisper.

*However, it is important to use the right rockwool since all rockwoool is not alike. The stuff I used is about £20 for 5 3\' x 4\' x 3\" slabs and these are layed like bricks accordingly.

It isn\'t totally cheap but it\'s far easier and cheaper than constructing floating rooms on springs etc.

Hope this helps.

Isolating things that go boom from the floor is one thing you can do. Sealing leaks - e.g. windows - is another. Auralex makes these rubber planks you can use to build the equivalent of a drum riser, and that might be a good idea.

But you have to beware of advice from anyone selling acoustic materials! No offense in case anyone who does is listening, but you know how it goes: the world looks like a nail to a carpenter with a hammer. These companies have a stong tendency to feel the answer to everything is to foam your room from head to toe. Not only does that sound like logs, it does nothing to solve your problem.

Other than that, soundproofing requires mass. Not the religious kind.

By the way, Acoustics 101 (the link above) is Auralex\' site. Their *acoustics* are very good, but the *psychoacoustics* they believe in are open to argument. What they\'re saying is the conventional wisdom that the best sound is as much speaker and as little room as possible, i.e. the most accurate sound is going to be right next to the speaker and it goes downhill from there. The rebuttal to that is you need the room to hear the speaker properly.

In a nutshell. It\'s a long, involved subject, and it has to do with acoustics rather than soundproofing, which is what you\'re asking about anyway, so why don\'t I just shut up?

Originally posted by Furst:
    Thanks for answering the call!

I just found a neat little 500sq.ft. space for me to relocate. However, it is in a small building that holds regular office business, so I need to soundproof it cheaply, effectively, quickly, and hopefully in an aesthetically pleasing way. (Am I asking too much? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

It\'s just my midi/writing room, so it\'s not going to be very loud - no live guys or anything.

It\'s one story, so I don\'t need to worry about above or below me, and I think it\'s an end unit, so I\'m only worrying about 1 wall. However, the main enterance to the space is a long French sliding glass door. I normally wouldn\'t be too concerned, except that when I looked at it (during business hours) you could hear a pin drop in the atrium, which is the direction all the offices face.

Thank you for any advice. Again, most important right now is fast and cheap. Thanks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Conventional wisdom: \"Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two.\"

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--Eric

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast