• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Good cheap pre-amp?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Good cheap pre-amp?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Can anyone recommend a good mic pre-amp under $500? (U.S.)

As much as I\'d like it, I don\'t think I can spring for a hi-level valve pre at this stage.

Does anyone own the BlueTube by Presonus or the Tube Ultragain by Behringer?

Thanks in advance.

Re: OT: Good cheap pre-amp?

Oh, and if it makes any difference, I\'m looking at running a Rode NT1 through it to record vocals and acoustic guitars.

Thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Check out FMR Audio\'s RNP (Really Nice Preamp).
    Its 2 channels for $475.00 at mercinaryaudio.com.

You wont find anything better at this price.

Jim

Originally posted by runamuck:
    Check out FMR Audio\'s RNP (Really Nice Preamp).
    Its 2 channels for $475.00 at mercinaryaudio.com.

You wont find anything better at this price.

Jim
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There\'s a DBX 386 Dual Vacuum Tube preamp on sale now for 499.99 at http://www.musiciansfriend.com. i don\'t know how good it is but i\'ve always been curious. Maybe someone else can comment?

An aquaintance of mine bought a focutsrite, I think it was under 500 bucks..., he\'s an acoustic guitar and mandolin player. He is very, very happy with it.

Rick

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Wow, I didn\'t know they\'d released that preamp.

Those guys need a better PR person. Their compressor is as good as it gets for the price, and for anything within $1k of it (in hardware, at any rate).

I\'m going to check that preamp out...thanks for the tip. I may have to find a dealer who\'s a little less disdainful of my work, though...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by RickD:

There\'s a DBX 386 Dual Vacuum Tube preamp on sale now for 499.99 at http://www.musiciansfriend.com. i don\'t know how good it is but i\'ve always been curious. Maybe someone else can comment?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m rusty on the model numbers, but I think the \"300\" series is not that amazing.

Go to ProRec.Com and do a search for \"preamp.\" Rip did a preamp shootout with a BUNCH of models, and he has a golden ear for mics and preamps.

I\'ve had my eyeball on the recently released Presonus Eureka, but so far have not heard it nor seen anything written about it (other than a few \"user\" reviews at Sweetwater). Its a $499 channel strip with pre-amp, compressor, and eq. You mentioned Presonus and this is within your price range. I\'d be interestd to know if anyone has seen/heard one up close.

Presonus Eureka

I was considering it for use as the main entrance to my DAW. (There is an optional digi card that I would run to the S/PDIF input on my current Delta 66). Does this sound like a good/bad idea to anyone?

Paul

Focusing on the word \"cheap\" I would recommend the ART V3. It has some well thought hardware presets for various uses. It uses a 12AX7 tube, which is common for preamps. You can pick those up for about $105. However, it is mono so you would need two. It has built-in phantom power and also a limiter, if needed. I also have a Behringer Mic 100. You can find those for about $40. It uses the same tube, but lacks the presets and also is a little noisier. I usually only use that for \"pre-distortion\" when running direct in with a guitar or when I\'m using a tube guitar amp and want good tube distortion at a relatively low volume. These aren\'t Joe Meek, but you said you wanted cheap!

Thanks everyone for your replies. This gives me a good deal of information to sort through. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Bruce - I haven\'t forgotten your suggestion of checking out some of the newer mics in the Rode range too.

It\'s a little more money, but definitely worth it, check out the Univeral Audio M610. It\'s a single channel tube pre - I\'m using it with the Rode NT1000 and it\'s awesome. You can find em used for around $700. It\'s not the cheapest but I think in pre\'s you get what you pay for.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast