• Register
  • Help

Topic: Money Making Idea

Share/Bookmark

Money Making Idea

There is a fortune to be made by someone who would create an engine and sample libraries designed solely for those who compose without a music keyboard. Remove all the interactions that require a physical music keyboard and highlight and magnify input from the computer keyboard and interaction from the notation software.

Of course the great majority of users use midi controllers to input, for those of who can not or elect not to use such input, the development of such software would be wonderful Because of the perceived small number of computer-only composers the price of such new software would be expensive. I understand that. Well, maybe someone such as Gary would again arise from the depths and decide to make it available at reasonable prices.

Tom

Re: Money Making Idea

I actually do not find Garritan all that odious an effort. 80% of my workflow begins and ends with Finale/Garritan and one or two other VST packages that I have picked up over the years, and I've created a number of ad-hoc templates that are 'pre-loaded' with the virtual instruments, already tweaked to blend as I wish them to in the composition.

I have my "full" symphony orchestra, a 24pce "big band", two "theatre orchestras", two different Irish/Scots variants, a Caribbean rhythm section with steel drums and marimbas, a "party band" and my stand by "folk-rock" template.

They save me time, because most of the tweaking in Aria has already been done. It did take some time and dedication to get to this point, but the easiest way was to just delete the music from a song where the layout, sound and fury , reverb, echo, panning, etc all sounded the most realistic.

Because the music is generally "in my head" beforehand in almost finished form, I tend to write with a sound in mind before I start. Beginning with one of the above gets me part-way there before I put a single rest onto the screen...
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    I actually do not find Garritan all that odious an effort. 80% of my workflow begins and ends with Finale/Garritan and one or two other VST packages that I have picked up over the years, and I've created a number of ad-hoc templates that are 'pre-loaded' with the virtual instruments, already tweaked to blend as I wish them to in the composition.

I have my "full" symphony orchestra, a 24pce "big band", two "theatre orchestras", two different Irish/Scots variants, a Caribbean rhythm section with steel drums and marimbas, a "party band" and my stand by "folk-rock" template.

They save me time, because most of the tweaking in Aria has already been done. It did take some time and dedication to get to this point, but the easiest way was to just delete the music from a song where the layout, sound and fury , reverb, echo, panning, etc all sounded the most realistic.

Because the music is generally "in my head" beforehand in almost finished form, I tend to write with a sound in mind before I start. Beginning with one of the above gets me part-way there before I put a single rest onto the screen...
    Probably IO is the best example of what I am looking for. Without a midi keyboard the changes within any voice is virtually impossible without the manipulation of the wheel. Also, I wish we could use various articulations like pizz, legato, on the same line by notation input. You can do that only if you are using a music keyboard input.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Also, I wish we could use various articulations like pizz, legato, on the same line by notation input. You can do that only if you are using a music keyboard input.

Tom
    You can do this in Finale without any midi keyboard.
    You can also create a text expression in Finale and give it any midi value/parameter/CC# that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    You can do this in Finale without any midi keyboard.
    You can also create a text expression in Finale and give it any midi value/parameter/CC# that you want.
    How is this done? So far any time I specify a particular articulation, it changes allots on that staff to the new articulation.

If I'm not mistaken, you use Finale. Which version?

The easiest way to test this is to use Finale's setup wizard to create a score. Just choose one instrument during setup, violins. Finale should load the violin 1 ks patch by default. Now enter some quarter notes in ms. 1. Now enter some 8th notes in ms. 2. Enter a whole note in ms. 3.

Pick a dynamic and attach to the first note. Add an expression to the first 8th note from the technique category, pizz. Now on the whole note add an expression arco, also from the technique category.

Now as long as you haven't altered Finale's default Human Playback preferences, it should be done. Press play. I just did this with no midi keyboard and it plays back perfectly. Switching between pizz and arco.

You can switch between whatever techniques are available on any KS instrument.

I have never needed a wheel. All can be easily handled in Sonar.

Richard

Go Back to forum