• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is this the way the film music indusrty is going?

Is this the way the film music indusrty is going?

sponsored links

I recently had a discussion with the director I have just worked with about our career paths, how much to charge etc, and although I agreed with most of what he said, he said one thing that made me think: he said it is too easy for a director to go to a studio where there are in-house composers and get a job done for a good rate and quick (like Media Ventures I guess). I said to him that although this might be the case, the actual music wouldn\'t be as good as from a single composer. Then he said that for me to enhance my career I should think about getting involved in one of these studios, as that is the way the film music industry is going. Is this true?

Re: Is this the way the film music indusrty is going?

I had a chat with a guy at Sounds Expo, and he mentioned that UK advertising agencies are now creating in-house composing teams in order to bypass individual composers fees and publishing/PRS residuals. So, the MV way seems to be the way of the future.

However, it does mean that individual composers could stand out from the \"supermarket\" crowd if they\'re really good and savvy enough. Such a composer\'s Unique Selling Point could be that he/she is unique! It\'s a risk though. But so is everything.

It\'s not that new really. Don\'t forget that in old Hollywood, guys like Henry Mancini, Max Steiner and even Jerry Goldsmith (for a while) were rostered, in-house staff composers.

Thanks for your reply Heath - I\'m surprised that no-one else has replied as well though. I guess you are right, this sort of thing has been going on for a while and there is still enough sole-composers about.

Anyone got a few names/URLs of such studios that keep a roster of composers on staff (particularly in the UK)? Would such a setup be generally found in large advertising agencies, post production houses or others?

Just make sure you have a \"Team\" to work with that you can advertise. I try to make it known that I have access to the whole Team Fat when bidding for work. The team does the same in thier quest for gigs. We freely share each others best work as an example of what we can provide to a client and its the truth. We each have our specialties that the others can\'t do very well and we use each other where appropriate and at the very least help each other with the marketing. For example, when the Fatman is working to get a gig that will need some major orchestrations, he can use my tunes. When I need to show off some comical music with lyrics, I\'ll use his tunes. If either of us gets a gig, we will will collaborate.
    Find a diverse group and you can do the same thing. That doesn\'t address the in house composing thing where they keep the publishing. It just allows you to be able to offer more variety of music talent. This is a good way to fight this kind of stuff. It does however require trustworthy individuals to work with. You want to make sure that someone doesn\'t hog the gig to themself that they won with your music. We have been working together for a good 15 years (Me, Kevin Phelan the other Giga Guru, The Fatman-George Sanger & childrens music celebrity Joe McDermott)so we know we can trust each other. Just an idea.

Go Back to forum