• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone here taking the MFTM Distance course?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone here taking the MFTM Distance course?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    If so, what do you think of it? Is it really worth the time or would that be better spent learning from something else?
    Chris Caouette

Re: Anyone here taking the MFTM Distance course?

I\'ve did the first edition of the course in the UK and thought it was well worth it - at the time I hardly knew any of the technicalities involved in the process of film scoring, so it taught me alot. Having said this, you can get everything you need to know from this forum [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . It has a thumbs up from me though.

Thanks Doug,
    I see that you started out going with a few freebies. How did this pan out for you? I would think that getting paid, even something, would be benificial to giving your music value. However, I am in a similar boat you were/are in. I have recordings out on a label but beyond that, little experience doing and music for media (thus why I was looking at the course as a way to add credits to my resume).
    Thanks for any input.
    Chris Caouette

Hi Chris, I\'ve done quite a few unpaid jobs but I\'m going to make the one I\'m working on now my last unpaid work (at least in theory). I think the thing with writing to film is that everyone seems to take a different approach to getting work, so there are no right or wrong answers. With the MFTM course there is a helpline that can you call where they have alot of details for new films being made, so this could open some doors. Also, I found the tutors very helpful with regards to getting work - I dont know if the US course is as good, but I would have thought so. The site Shooting People has a daily bulletin as well (I dont know if this is in the US as well). Hope this helps, though let me know if I can help more.

Originally posted by Chris Caouette:
    If so, what do you think of it? Is it really worth the time or would that be better spent learning from something else?
    Chris Caouette
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It is well worth it, it teaches you how the industry works. The biggest shock for me was to see just how unfinished the movies I had to score actually were. This is how they are devlivered though! Some have no SFX, only dialogue. Some have no sound at all.

The emergency phone call is worth it for that alone.

Ed

Go Back to forum