• Register
  • Help

Topic: Colin Powell's view on Draft Dodging during Vietnam

Share/Bookmark

Colin Powell\'s view on Draft Dodging during Vietnam

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    In his autobiography the current secretary of State said : <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">\"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed... managed to wangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units...Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country.\"

Wonder if his boss read it

ed [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Colin Powell\'s view on Draft Dodging during Vietnam

This statement does not sound at all accurate. I was in two different National Guard units (both Air Guard and Army Guard) from 1970 to 1976 and less than 10% of the Guardsmen in my units were from upper income families, while the other 90% were from middle to lower middle income families. Obviously there is a higher percentage of upper income people in the Air National Guard, as opposed to the Army National Guard, because there are many pilots in the Air Guard, and Air Force pilots are commissioned officers who have to have college degrees. Even in the Air National Guard there is a high percentage of middle and lower middle income people among the enlisted ranks.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0216-07.htm

Edit: I\'ve never been in the service. I have no idea if the above link is representative of anything or not.

Kip,

Powell\'s not saying that the National Guard was 50 or 70 or 90 percent rich man\'s kids. He\'s saying that a lot of rich man\'s kids went into the Guard to avoid service in Vietnam. His disgust is with guys like Bush, who failed the entrance exams but got admitted anyway (over thousands of more qualified applicants) because his father was rich and powerful. That power and influence bought Bush and guys like him cushy wartime assignments, while poor and middle class kids were dying in the jungle.

Frankly, I\'d have no bone to pick with Bush if he wasn\'t strutting around in uniform now, sending our kids off to be killed for no reason, and telling the Iraqi\'s to \"bring it on.\" He showed where his true heart lies when he avoided going to \'Nam. He\'d probably wet his pants if he was ever in a real combat situation.

Since most of the citizens of this country are NOT rich, your observation of the National Guard is correct. But it does not negate Powell\'s statement.

They\'re two different things.

None of this is relevant. What\'s relevant is that this administration just has to go. People need to realize how insane these lunatics are. I hope Kerry speaks out about that rather than carrying on a defensive campaign.

I believe Colin Powell is right, by the way. The armed forces are not made up of aristocrats.

No question that this administration has to go, but if it takes irrelevant facts like the above to help do that, then they suddenly become very relevant.

Kerry is known to be an extremely tough campaigner, so if he\'s attacked, I expect him to attack back -- except when it\'s prudent not to do so. He\'s already proven he can do that, with the Drudge \"affair\" story. He simply said, there\'s no story. Period. And the thing fizzled.

And when Bush attacked him on special interests, Kerry swung right back, accusing Bush of being the biggest special interests president we\'ve ever known. AND the biggest spender.

The only thing I\'m worried about is the October surprise. What will it be this time?

> \"The only thing I\'m worried about is the October surprise. What will it be this time?\"

A previous one was that Bush was arrested for drunk driving, and had tried to cover it up. But the media and many voters thought Bush was such a swell guy that they pretended it never happened. Too bad no one came up with the mug shots and handcuff photos of Mr. \"Honor and Integrity\". Image (and a good score) is everything.

I think the story that this administration is rotten to the core will overpower most any reasonable surprise. Let\'s hope the world doesn\'t get too unreasonable.

Well, the October surprise I\'m expecting is the sudden capture of Osama Bin Laden. They\'ve probably got him in the same dungeon they were holding Saddam in before they \"captured\" him.

As a Marine recently said, no sane soldier would have gone into that hole (where they found Saddam \"hiding\") without tossing a grenade in first.

Go Back to forum