• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rhapsody in Blue George Gershwin GPO and JABB

Share/Bookmark

Rhapsody in Blue George Gershwin GPO and JABB

I was having a sentimental journey last night listening through some of the music that I made with Garritan Libraries and came across this...
    Rhapsody in Blue
    Yes, most of you have heard it when it was posted years ago, but it is now well into the deep deep tunnels of links here on Northern Sounds.

Boy would I do some things different now

Re: Rhapsody in Blue George Gershwin GPO and JABB

Well, I am out of the "most of you", it was the first time I heard this. I am sure that you would do it differently now, but there is real value and talent behind this work of yours. I dislike Gershwin passionately, but this piece shows why his popularity. I was forced by circumstances to listen to it a number of times, but this time I listened because it was you were who posted it, and, I confess, I enjoyed it very much, mostly not because of Gershwin, but because of your brilliant work.
    So, thanks for posting it

Ted

thanks Ted, it has always been a piece of music that takes me back to when I was a kid and my Mom would be playing it on the piano in the living room.
    Thanks for the nice compliment!

I think your opinion of it is genuine and like many folks who thought that it was a disgrace that George Gershwin would write a piece of classical music. I think it was a friend of his who was in the know at the time in New York and twisted his arm to write a piece for orchestra. I think that's how it all went down

Anyway, thanks for posting!
    Dan

Hi Dan,

In its historical perspective, this is certainly a masterpiece (and I do mean your input). It was not so easy to do a mockup with only Garritan instruments, not one of that quality and transparence. The clarinet you've put down is just sublime and very personal in the interpretation. You really prove your understanding of the piece and you've added a lot more than than some subtle features, you've made it to a very own version with a clear view and firm knowledge of both the score and the use of samples. It's simply astonishing. Many, many congrats for that!
    And of course there's a lot that can be done differently now, but what you've realised has its own charm and art, mastership and craftsmanship.

I enjoyed every second of it!
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Dan,

In its historical perspective, this is certainly a masterpiece (and I do mean your input). It was not so easy to do a mockup with only Garritan instruments, not one of that quality and transparence. The clarinet you've put down is just sublime and very personal in the interpretation. You really prove your understanding of the piece and you've added a lot more than than some subtle features, you've made it to a very own version with a clear view and firm knowledge of both the score and the use of samples. It's simply astonishing. Many, many congrats for that!
    And of course there's a lot that can be done differently now, but what you've realised has its own charm and art, mastership and craftsmanship.

I enjoyed every second of it!
    Max
    Thanks Max,
    it was actaully fun listening to it after not hearing it for a long time
    Of course I kept squinting as the cringe factor kept appearing
    I am glad you got a kick out of it,
    Dan

Hi Ted,

Since I respect you enormously as both a person and a fellow musician, I would be most curious if you could share any reasons behind your dislike of Gershwin music. This piece is not one of my Gershwin "Large Work" favorites (Porgy and Bess is!), but is it his foray into classical-jazz hybrid compositions in general, or do you dislike his pop song catalog as well. What bugs you, sir?

Hi Dan,

Forgive me using your thread for asking Ted the above! I do remember when you posted this originally and my reaction today is the same: WOW!! There is a lot of music there and your recreation never fails to impress and motivate us to emulate your command of all things Garritan. Thanks for the memory lane re-post!

Regards to you both,

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Frank, reading your comments and music, I take it as a compliment that you are asking this question. The answer is not simple. One one side all, our loving a certain piece or a composer, if we love music, is just not explainable why we like a composer or why we dislike one. On the other hand, one who knows music, and love music, maybe amazed at the technical skill, organization, orchestration of a composer. I am in the first group, I listen to music with my (failing) heart, absolutely emotional about it. Mr Gershwin does not touch any strings in me. I dislike jazz, so I am a hopeless old, and old fashioned meddler in music, and with a very few exception, I do not like (or understand) music created past the early 1900. So, you see, I should not have revealed my soul about Gershwin, it just shows how square-headed old fool I am.
    ( To be absolutely honest, I do like some of the rhapsody, as I like some of the songs in Porgy, and like Copland but you would have to have me drunk to admit this)

Ted

Smile Re: Rhapsody in Blue George Gershwin GPO and JABB

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    but you would have to have me drunk to admit this)

Ted
    Hilarious Ted!!!
    I think we all respect that you just don't like certain kinds of music and hey,, that's just fine and dandy.
    The wording that you used about certain kinds of composers just not pulling your heartstrings is a great way to explain it.

There are losts of kinds of music that I can't stand either, but I will not mention what those "genres" are

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    I was having a sentimental journey last night listening through some of the music that I made with Garritan Libraries and came across this...http://www.dankury.com/music/RhapsodyinBlueDanKury.mp3
    Yes, most of you have heard it when it was posted years ago, but it is now well into the deep deep tunnels of links here on Northern Sounds.

Boy would I do some things different now
    Brilliant work done with love, Dan! As usual I must add
    I cannot imagine how much time you spent on this.

With respect,
    Slava
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks View Post
    Brilliant work done with love, Dan! As usual I must add
    I cannot imagine how much time you spent on this.

With respect,
    Slava
    HA HA HA

A lot of time
    thank you

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast