• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mea Culpa- my machine was invaded.

Share/Bookmark

Mea Culpa- my machine was invaded.

Some of you may have rec'd some spam email from me in recent days. I apologize. I was hacked by someone purporting to be in Eastern Europe (quite cleverly- the fellow pretended to be interested in a piece of kit I am offering for sale, and during the -failed- negotiations, something slipped by). Shortly after- my phone and email began to ring with warnings.. Oddly, only about one in six on my contacts list was sent anything.

If any of you were so afflicted and have unbidden letters from my email containing drivel, ads for unseemly services, or worse, please accept my apologies. I have repaired the damage and all should be well.

Until the next time, at least.

Kev
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Re: Mea Culpa- my machine was invaded.

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    Some of you may have rec'd some spam email from me in recent days. I apologize. I was hacked by someone purporting to be in Eastern Europe (quite cleverly- the fellow pretended to be interested in a piece of kit I am offering for sale, and during the -failed- negotiations, something slipped by). Shortly after- my phone and email began to ring with warnings.. Oddly, only about one in six on my contacts list was sent anything.

If any of you were so afflicted and have unbidden letters from my email containing drivel, ads for unseemly services, or worse, please accept my apologies. I have repaired the damage and all should be well.

Until the next time, at least.

Kev
    Very sad to hear of your invasion. It is extremely frustrating. Last month something went terribly wrong here as well. I have lost the use of virtually every piece of music and video software I owned. Take care and don't assume the problem is gone even after weeks of apparent calm.

Tom

Re: Mea Culpa- my machine was invaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Very sad to hear of your invasion. It is extremely frustrating. Last month something went terribly wrong here as well. I have lost the use of virtually every piece of music and video software I owned. Take care and don't assume the problem is gone even after weeks of apparent calm.

Tom
    For future, consider two computers, one of which is never on line for all off line use, transferring between it and a second computer, which is your on line gateway. Use a stick drive for transfer between the two as needed. Scan the stick at every use. Not directly related, perhaps, but safety is of paramount importance: Save your scores in at least two forms. i have mine in three formats; Sibelius, PDF, and staff view in Sonar. Also, redundant backups.

I wonder if restoring from a good backup might solve your problem. Also, you would benefit from a list of critical data, such as a list of keys and whatever is essential for you to open your software. Label the list with some innocuous name. You might consider writing the number in the documentation if you have hard copies.

Richard

Go Back to forum