• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Instant Orchestra 24 Bit Ever Going to Happen?

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Instant Orchestra 24 Bit Ever Going to Happen?

I have owned Instant Orchestra for quite a while now. I wonder if the team is going to ever release a 24bit version of the library. I recall hearing back when I first joined the community that they never did release a 24 bit library due to the size. However, this day in age high speed internet is very common. Other sample libraries with huge samples such as East West offer downloadable versions to their products which are like 40GB. I am hoping that the Garritan team will release a 24 bit version to Instant Orchestra.

Regards,

Richard

Re: Garritan Instant Orchestra 24 Bit Ever Going to Happen?

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    I have owned Instant Orchestra for quite a while now. I wonder if the team is going to ever release a 24bit version of the library. I recall hearing back when I first joined the community that they never did release a 24 bit library due to the size. However, this day in age high speed internet is very common. Other sample libraries with huge samples such as East West offer downloadable versions to their products which are like 40GB. I am hoping that the Garritan team will release a 24 bit version to Instant Orchestra.

Regards,

Richard
    I'll put in your suggestion for IO v2

Thanks Chad, greatly appreciated. IO is one of my main libraries that I use, and I'd love to see this in 24 bit to match the my other libraries.

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I'll put in your suggestion for IO v2

Is it going to make any real difference?

From what I remember reading, 24-bit samples wouldn't make any audible difference, since those last 8 bits are right down in the noise floor, and since these are samples and not a live recording where you would have very quiet sounds to worry about. Also, once you start mixing with other samples, the signal will typically be well above the noise floor, so you really can't hear it at all at that point (and you could get away with even less bits without hearing the difference).

At least that's my understanding of the science. I remember reading virtual instrument developers admitting that they sell 24-bit versions just because their customers asked for them, not because there was any actual advantage in having the 24-bits.
    -- Matt Wong

Here's a good article on 16bit. vs 24bit.
    http://tweakheadz.com/16-bit-vs-24-bit-audio/

For me, it's just a personal thing, I;m one of those consumers that want it. 24bit is still higher quality and it does have it's advantages over the 16bit. It would just be nice to have the 24bit samples like most other companies are offering. Given the size of IO, the size of the download would be still pretty small with the 24bit samples as compared to the massive GBs we see in almost any other library these days. Heck, one cello I own is like 4GB just for one instrument! It just feels warm and pleasing to have that thought of having the highest quality available to you!

Regards,

Richard

If you're recording something live, 24 bits for sure. For the internal math of the mixing engine, well, that's all floating point these days, so the point is moot.

However, for the samples themselves, once you start mixing them, the whole advantage of the extra bits disappears because while those extra bits of resolution provides a lower noise floor (recording conditions notwithstanding) and potentially greater dynamic range, your resultant mixed signal is so much higher than the noise floor that it makes no difference. That's the reason I can still dig out some of my old 8-bit samples and use them without them sounding horrible. (And you can't say the same about an 8-bit recording)

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind the extra bits myself as well, and I can think of a few edge cases where it *may* make an audible difference, eg. one solo note with absolutely nothing else mixed with it, but if the sample is of good quality to begin with, it would be no worse audio quality than a properly mastered 16-bit CD audio in any case, and probably better since you're likely not triggering the sample at full volume in any case... so again, any advantage of the extra dynamic range gets lost there too. I'm just saying that it's not really going to make a difference in most cases having 16-bit instead of 24-bit (if the samples are clean and the programming done well).
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum