• Register
  • Help

Topic: When Robots Fall In Love-Techno Opera

Share/Bookmark

Red face When Robots Fall In Love-Techno Opera

This is my techno opera sketch.

Scenario: The scene opens with a gathering of droids, robots, cyborgs and humans that are celebrating some coming wonderful news. One of the robots sings of their new found emotion of love for another robot. The powers decide that this goes against traditional robot law and it cannot be. A mood of great sadness overcomes the lovers and all until the powers be, in there wisdom, change their minds. The lovers then vow everlasting love. The benefit of this love is touted by six individuals. Now both lovers caress and sing of their new found love. All then join in with celebration of a new day.

Non-electronic sounds are male and female singers, timpani, bell and cymbal in the chorus.

When Robots Fall In Love

Re: When Robots Fall In Love-Techno Opera

Very imaginative! This would make Asimov very proud. I really am looking forward to hearing more of this project. Are you designing it as a video project or for live performance?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Very imaginative! This would make Asimov very proud. I really am looking forward to hearing more of this project. Are you designing it as a video project or for live performance?

Tom
    Thanks Tom.

I guess I've had this basic sci-Fi idea in the back of my head for a while but no immediate plan to act on it. So this was basically a work of day dreaming evolution and things sort of falling into place.

I'm envisioning this as a live stage performance right now. I haven't thought about video but that is also a real possibility.

Yes, I think it looks promising so I'll continue to work on developing more scenes. I don't have any over-all story line in mind yet but hopefully that will materialize later.

Phil

It is not too often that I replay postings, but this time I did, twice.
    By your picture you are not a teenager, but your spirit is young, your imagination is great, just loved especially the first 1;15 of the piece. Great story line too.
    It is blowing on the Gulf of Mexico at 50-60 km/hr, and listening to your story just made my day.

Ted

Another intriguingly seductive techno fantasy, Phil. I'm wondering, will the parts be played by actual robots? From what I can see, they're getting pretty sophisticated. If not, I'm sure humans could do a good job with the appropriate costuming. Of course, if Hollywood gets hold of it, the sky's the limit. but even the SciFi channel would do a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    It is not too often that I replay postings, but this time I did, twice.
    By your picture you are not a teenager, but your spirit is young, your imagination is great, just loved especially the first 1;15 of the piece. Great story line too.
    It is blowing on the Gulf of Mexico at 50-60 km/hr, and listening to your story just made my day.

Ted
    I'm glad I helped out on a windy day down there. Not much wind here lately but heavy rains off and on. I'm no spring rooster but I still have lots of energy and a curious mind.......well, you're not doing too bad yourself.

Thanks for commenting.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Another intriguingly seductive techno fantasy, Phil. I'm wondering, will the parts be played by actual robots? From what I can see, they're getting pretty sophisticated. If not, I'm sure humans could do a good job with the appropriate costuming. Of course, if Hollywood gets hold of it, the sky's the limit. but even the SciFi channel would do a decent job.
    Thanks for the supportive words Michael.

Performed live, something like this could vary quite a bit as far as technical sophistication. From good costuming to large marionettes or even holographic imagery, which is being done in Japan. For vocals, there could be treated and non-treated voice, vocaloid and software like Phonem, which I'm using. Also robots and others wouldn't neccesarily be using any human language or even human like sounds, as any needed words could be projected above the stage.

Yes, video opens up a completely different world by using varying levels of computer graphic technology and even analog imagery and special effects. Well, it's fun to imagine.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Thanks for the supportive words Michael.

Performed live, something like this could vary quite a bit as far as technical sophistication. From good costuming to large marionettes or even holographic imagery, which is being done in Japan. For vocals, there could be treated and non-treated voice, vocaloid and software like Phonem, which I'm using. Also robots and others wouldn't neccesarily be using any human language or even human like sounds, as any needed words could be projected above the stage.

Yes, video opens up a completely different world by using varying levels of computer graphic technology and even analog imagery and special effects. Well, it's fun to imagine.

Phil
    In college we performed Karel Capek's 1920 futuristic play R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) The costumes were simple grey slacks and a modified grey pull-over; the female robots had the astronomical symbol of Venus on the upper left chest and the male robots had the symbol for Mars. The sets were light blue and the lighting and sound effects were stark. Believe it or not that simple staging carried it through. By-the-way, it was this play that coined the term robot. (from the Czech word roboti) Our performance in 1963 was the first time completely electronic music was used at the college. Some attendees said the play was excellent, but the music scared the beejeezus out of them. The four involved student musicians considered that high praise.

Tom

Re: When Robots Fall In Love-Techno Operar

Tom,

That's pretty amazing that a college would have the courage to use only electronic music for even a play such as R.U.R. in 1963. The technology at that time was still experigmental and the results could be quite strange even by today's standards. I bet you were all really excited about being in such a musically radical theatrical performance.

I've been trying to learn how to use Wolfgag's Palm's new advanced voice manipulation software Phonem beyond just the stock sounds. It's quite complicated and the file saving is very confusing but one nice feature is that when you type in a word or phrase it either works at least some what or it tells you the words are not possible. It seems they have to be standard English words. It believe it can also be set for other languages or at least German. Interestingly, I found a tutorial for it on YouTube by Simon Stockhausen which I discovered is Karlheinz Stockhausen's son. There haven't been very many views but I hope he continues with more tutorials as he has promised.

I'll see if I can find a performance of R.U.R. on YouTube or a least something about it with a search. My electronic music conversion is a fairly recent event but like many I went through a science fiction book phase many years ago which included every thing written by Isaac Asimov. I remember he was quoted as saying that the only person he knew that was smarter than him was Carl Sagan. His son Jeremy is the developer of my old DAW Metro 7. It's a small world.

Phil

Go Back to forum