• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: Movie opening

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Movie opening

    As I continue exploring where I'm going in music composition this year, I've put together another piece for what I would interpret to be the opening part of a movie, possibly a Romantic Comedy or something like that. Karen and I could see the film starting out with bicycles traversing along bike paths. It would be a good tune to bike to, it has that kind of energy. In any case, all feedback is welcome. Thanks for listening.

    https://soundcloud.com/serenity-musician/movie-opening
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

    Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

  2. #2
    Senior Member tedvanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada,winter Mexico
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Movie opening

    i think I wrote earlier that "all I can say it is beautiful" to your movie closure. This time I'll add "brilliant".
    I assure you, you are going in the right direction with your composing. I have no knowledge what it means business-wise for you, but if I would be a producer I would have my writer to write in a bicycle scene just to be able to include this piece in my movie.
    Beautiful... again.

    Ted

  3. #3

    Re: Movie opening

    Such a pity that making a film to the music is rather rare... This is very inviting though...
    Max

  4. #4

    Re: Movie opening

    Quite interesting. As Max said it is inviting and I hope that he didn't mean riding the bike in this present stormy weather. Your building up to some climax is really good. Maybe you can add some variation in the every present "pedalling" with the piano using other instruments (harp?).


    Raymond

  5. #5

    Re: Movie opening

    It is indeed perfectly evocative of the subject matter. We occasionally take the bus to Boston to catch the train, and they have movies en route. They are always moving movies (multiple puns there). Family-oriented, heart-warming, etc. This feels like one of those movies. Definitely the start of a journey of some sort. And yes, the bicycle imagery works. Who knows? Maybe one day we will be starting out on that Boston trip, and this music will be playing. If so, I am sure I would want to watch that movie.

  6. #6

    Re: Movie opening

    I finally have a chance to reply to all the wonderful comments made.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I think I wrote earlier that "all I can say it is beautiful" to your movie closure. This time I'll add "brilliant".
    I assure you, you are going in the right direction with your composing. I have no knowledge what it means business-wise for you, but if I would be a producer I would have my writer to write in a bicycle scene just to be able to include this piece in my movie.
    Beautiful... again.

    Ted
    I have had many pieces of my music be described in many ways, but never "brilliant." Ted, this means so much to me. Thank you so very much!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Such a pity that making a film to the music is rather rare... This is very inviting though...
    Max
    Your comment made me think of the movie Mr. Holland's Opus. The music written by the Michael Kamen was one of those the producers for the film asked Kamen to compose the music first before filming began. It's sad he is no longer with us, but his music for this movie was incredible and he left a lasting legacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    Quite interesting. As Max said it is inviting and I hope that he didn't mean riding the bike in this present stormy weather. Your building up to some climax is really good. Maybe you can add some variation in the every present "pedalling" with the piano using other instruments (harp?).
    I like your suggestion of using the harp. Would make for a nice variation over just using the piano. Thank you!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It is indeed perfectly evocative of the subject matter. We occasionally take the bus to Boston to catch the train, and they have movies en route. They are always moving movies (multiple puns there). Family-oriented, heart-warming, etc. This feels like one of those movies. Definitely the start of a journey of some sort. And yes, the bicycle imagery works. Who knows? Maybe one day we will be starting out on that Boston trip, and this music will be playing. If so, I am sure I would want to watch that movie.
    To be on a train or a bus and to hear music I've worked on be played would be an incredible dream. One can always hope, eh? You wanting to watch a film where I may have composed the music means a lot to mean, Michael. Thank you!

    Thanks again everyone for all of your wonderful feedback!

    Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

    Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

  7. #7

    Re: Movie opening

    Very nice. Very nice. Did I forget to say that it's very nice?

    That is some pretty music that you have created and I like it. What samples did you use if you care to say?

    I am going to save this work by you and replay it again and again, if that is OK with you.

    Keep up the fine work.

    Best,

    Larry Alexander

  8. #8

    Re: Movie opening

    Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post
    Very nice. Very nice. Did I forget to say that it's very nice?

    That is some pretty music that you have created and I like it. What samples did you use if you care to say?

    I am going to save this work by you and replay it again and again, if that is OK with you.

    Keep up the fine work.

    Best,

    Larry Alexander
    Thank you so much for your kind words, Mr. Larry! Please feel free to replay this as often as you want. I'd be honored! Most of the libraries were EastWest libraries. I did use GPO4, especially the oboe. I personally love the sound of that oboe, better than the one from EastWest, though you have less control with GPO4. The piano is Alicia's Keys from Native Instruments. Only problem with EastWest libraries is they are resource hogs and take a long time to load, even on an SSD drive. I can't wait for the GPO5 coming out soon!

    Thanks again, Larry!!!

    Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

    Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

  9. #9

    Thumbs up Re: Movie opening

    Hi Gary, I quote the others and say it's nice and going in the expected direction.

    I may add some musical and technical comments, in case you are interested in something more than just prise

    - the "motion" rhythmic pattern of the piano is ok for the beginning when the instrumentation is light, and it's nicely mixing with slow long notes of the orchestra, but later when the dynamics build up, the piano is no longer enough, and I feel the need of some more fast texture in the instrumentation as well (e.g. you may play with patterns in the high strings while the low strings and winds keep the long notes, or you may create colours with fast patterns in the high winds etc.)

    - the panning of some instruments sound excessively "lateral" listening with earphones: the horn on the left and later even the strings, sounds too much "one channel" in my very personal opinion, and I would make them a bit more central for a better stereo mix.

    Keep doing, never give up, and who knows, sooner or later somebody will make the movie for you

    ciao, F.

  10. #10

    Re: Movie opening

    Lovely thematic writing, Gary.

    I especially enjoyed the sense of harmonic ascension so effectively written in the first third of the piece.

    Now, it certainly depends on the intended use of the piece -- but I might suggest considering greater contrast through the center section... perhaps a darker sentiment, say, later returning to that propulsive, elevating opening.

    The melodic work in this, though, is golden!

    All best,

    David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •