• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reaper Is Getting A Notation Editor

Share/Bookmark

Reaper Is Getting A Notation Editor

It's finally happening, Reaper is getting a notation editor. Right now it's in testing. Folks are running it and reporting bugs and making suggestions. The forum is alive with several threads on it. They seem to be making quick progress, for such a complex feature. There a lot of incredibly knowledgeable people on that forum, and the developers are very responsive. All this portends success, or so I hope. I've been stuck on Sonar 8.5 for several years, so I'm really looking forward to this. I need notes to compose, like most here (I assume). Another issue is that Reaper can run on Wine, the Windows emulator that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux. So my dream of making music on Linux may turn into reality soon. And the devs there are also expressing interest in making Reaper run natively on Linux. I've become a devotee of Linux and use it for everything but music at this point. Microsoft has lost me with Windows 10. I'm still on 7, and won't upgrade beyond that. So a complete transition to Linux will be needed at some point. now I'm beginning to see light finally at the end of the tunnel.

Re: Reaper Is Getting A Notation Editor

You are using Sonar 8 now, and also Reaper? Or did you just tried Reaper?
    My questions are because I am getting tired of Sonar x3 Professional. It is loaded up with so many things I will never use and crashes often.
    I am still looking on the available info on Reaper, but your experience would help a lot to decide to try it or not.

Ted

I just downloaded Reaper last night and am engaged in figuring out how to make it work. I want to know how to use it when the notation is ready to roll. Reaper is the opposite of bloated. It is only 10mb, installs in a few minutes. Starts fast. But it does everything Sonar does, or so I am told. If the notation is usable for me, I will probably be switching. Especially since it can be used on Linux.

Thanks Michael, I'll explore too

Ted

Reaper is really the only DAW I've ever used, so I can't say how it compares with others, but I like how it works. It is extremely customizable (though some have considered that as 'too many options' or 'too complicated'). But as for trying it out, you might as well go download it and try using it.

The 'trial' version is not crippled in any way, and even after the 60-day trial period is up, it remains fully functional, and all it does is pop up a nag window when you first start up the program.

Given that gesture of goodwill from the developers, and that the price is very reasonable, I purchased it the day my trial ran out, back in the 3.x version days, which gave me updates all the way to the end of 4.x, and renewed it with the release of 5.x (which includes all updates up to the end of 6.x).
    -- Matt Wong

Thank you Matt. I am playing around with it, but can't figure out how to load up the Aria player, so that I can have all 16 channels working. Like, flutes on 1, oboes on 2, etc. All I get is flutes on everything. I am very experienced on Sonar, and have been able to get demos of other DAWS up and running, but Reaper is confusing me. And so far, no help from their forum. Some suggestions, but no help. If you have successfully set up the Aria player on Reaper, using one output, 16 channels, played from a midi keyboard, with all 16 channels playing something different, I sure would like to know how you did it. It does not seem like a very intuitive DAW. I don't care about that. As long as I can get it to work, eventually I will be OK with it, I'm sure. but it's a tough nut to crack so far.

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Thank you Matt. I am playing around with it, but can't figure out how to load up the Aria player, so that I can have all 16 channels working. Like, flutes on 1, oboes on 2, etc. All I get is flutes on everything.
    Insert a new track, click the FX button and load ARIA player into it. Configure your instruments/channels.
    Insert as many new tracks as you need. On each track click the ROUTE button (between the volume and pan dials) and under - Sends - add a new send, find the ARIA player track. Route MIDI out (lower right) to the coresponding channel in Aria.

Quote Originally Posted by nordensten View Post
    Insert a new track, click the FX button and load ARIA player into it. Configure your instruments/channels.
    Insert as many new tracks as you need. On each track click the ROUTE button (between the volume and pan dials) and under - Sends - add a new send, find the ARIA player track. Route MIDI out (lower right) to the corresponding channel in Aria.
    Thank you for the input. Pun intended. Unfortunately, something very weird is going on here. I suspect it's my midi keyboard, which is ancient and only has an on/off switch. But it works with sonar and a few other DAWS I have tried, so who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Thank you Matt. I am playing around with it, but can't figure out how to load up the Aria player, so that I can have all 16 channels working. Like, flutes on 1, oboes on 2, etc. All I get is flutes on everything.
    Hmm, sounds like everything from the keyboard is only on channel 1?

For the track that has ARIA player loaded in it, what is the input set to? It's the box underneath the horizontal volume slider, to the right of the phase invert button (which is to the right of the automation box). On mine when I'm running it from the keyboard, it's:

Input: MIDI -> {keyboard device name here} -> All Channels

That should send all the MIDI data from the keyboard on all channels to ARIA player. Though question which came to mind, if your MIDI keyboard is 'ancient and only has an on/off switch', how do you change which channel it's sending?
    -- Matt Wong

Hi Matt, thanks for replying. The input is set for Midi: all midi inputs: all channels. My keyboard is actually showing up. I'm going to try changing it to my sound interface, since my keyboard is connected to it.

Nope, no luck there. I also tried changing it to the virtual keyboard in Reaper. It only plays channel one, won't play any other channel.

I'm going to continue tinkering with it, sooner or later it has to work.

Go Back to forum