I am Vicky from India. I present, before you, two of my little pieces:

1. Solitude:
    https://soundcloud.com/vicky-lahkar/solitude

2. Sitar using raag bhairabi:
    https://soundcloud.com/vicky-lahkar/...ents-discovery

Thank you.

Re: Solitude & Sitar

Welcome Vicky!
    Very nice pieces, while they are very strange for most of us. It would be nice to know what did you use to create these pieces.
    Please keep posting for us and again Welcome!

Ted

Thanks for the shares Vicky. They were both good. I really liked Solitude a lot. It was nice and atmospheric.

Regards,

Richard

Hello Ted and Richard,
    Thank you for your kind words.

The ‘Solitude’ piece was arranged using multiple synths: Camel audio alchemy keys, and layers, East West quantum leap orchestra, East west RA using Indian violins.

The Sitar piece was made using the recently released Native Instruments Discovery series India with the Sitar (a stringed instrument), the Tanpura (another stringed instrument) and the Tablas (a kind of miniature toms, you can say). Its performed in a particular ‘raag’(chant in English)called raag bhairabi which in the Indian classical music represents a peaceful, serious and occasionally sad mood, mostly in the mornings.

Many thanks for listening.

Hi Vicky,

For us western educated composers, both the pieces sound rather 'strange', with which we mean rather 'different'. They use advanced pentatonic scales in a simple harmony. But they have so much expressive power! what we usually forget is the fact that the ancient Greeks used these scales as well, and sometimes extended to the dorian scale. That means that our western music has its origins in the-like scales. So it would be most useful to have at least some introduction to the different musical approaches around the globe.

Wonderful pieces! Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Max

Thank you Max for the feedback. Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the forum, Vicky!

My impression of Solitude: A lake in the morning mist, very serene. A sense of unfolding mystery. And a trace of sadness, longing. The ending leaves me with a feeling of calm, like after meditation. A very soothing, healing piece.

Very nice!

The sitar piece:

I always enjoyed hearing Ravi Shankar's work. He was an icon in America in the Sixties/Seventies. It's always good to expand one's horizons. And when listening to Ravi Shankar, my horizons were usually quite expanded...so I cannot help but think of him when I hear sitar music.

Wonderful to hear these exotic, yet familiar sounds, here on Northern Sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Vicky!

My impression of Solitude: A lake in the morning mist, very serene. A sense of unfolding mystery. And a trace of sadness, longing. The ending leaves me with a feeling of calm, like after meditation. A very soothing, healing piece.

Very nice!

The sitar piece:

I always enjoyed hearing Ravi Shankar's work. He was an icon in America in the Sixties/Seventies. It's always good to expand one's horizons. And when listening to Ravi Shankar, my horizons were usually quite expanded...so I cannot help but think of him when I hear sitar music.

Wonderful to hear these exotic, yet familiar sounds, here on Northern Sounds!
    Thanks Michael for the wonderful write up and appreciation!! Thanks to you!

Hello Vicky,

I'm happy to see a woman posting music here or on any music forum. It's such an unexplainable rarity.

I enjoyed your Solitude. It was a nice ambient, atmospheric piece. I listen to a lot of different types of electronic music so I'm right at home with this mix of acoustic and electronic sounds.

Your Sitar music was good although I think it needs to be developed more. I managed to see Ravi Shankar when they toured North America in 1974. Electronic music has influences from eastern music, especially early euro bands like Kraftwerk and Neu!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hello Vicky,

I'm happy to see a woman posting music here or on any music forum. It's such an unexplainable rarity.

I enjoyed your Solitude. It was a nice ambient, atmospheric piece. I listen to a lot of different types of electronic music so I'm right at home with this mix of acoustic and electronic sounds.

Your Sitar music was good although I think it needs to be developed more. I managed to see Ravi Shankar when they toured North America in 1974. Electronic music has influences from eastern music, especially early euro bands like Kraftwerk and Neu!

Phil
    Thank you Phil,
    A women posting music here in the forum still remains a rarity! How? because I am a lad!!. Thanks also for your musical input. I will keep your things in mind the next time.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast