• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ukulele Qustions

Share/Bookmark

Ukulele Qustions

1. Standard uke tuning: G-C-E-A?

2. Difficulty of playing on 17th fret or higher?

3. Number of frets? Tenor uke is my favorite.

4. Wood: Mahogany or Zebrawood?

Richard

Add:
    https://app.box.com/s/upxxjewyczra4awi7ci3gobao7mm1wca

Is this acceptable ukulele notation? Chords obviously need changing, my question only concerns the tablature.

Re: Ukulele Qustions

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    1. Standard uke tuning: G-C-E-A?

2. Difficulty of playing on 17th fret or higher?

3. Number of frets? Tenor uke is my favorite.

4. Wood: Mahogany or Zebrawood?

Richard

Add:
    https://app.box.com/s/upxxjewyczra4awi7ci3gobao7mm1wca

Is this acceptable ukulele notation? Chords obviously need changing, my question only concerns the tablature.
    There are different ways to tune a tenor uke:

The tenor is bigger than the concert uke, and has a longer fretboard. The tenor has two G-C-E-A tunings, known commonly as high-G and low-G tuning. High-G tuning is the same tuning as the concert and soprano (G4-C4-E4-A4). However, the body of the tenor is not good at producing the high re-entrant ukulele sound, although high-G tuning is popular and some tenor ukuleles are strung with all-nylon strings to accommodate high-G tuning. Low-G tuning is tuned with the G-string an octave lower (to G3). Low-G tuning doesn't sound much like a traditional uke, forgoing the re-entrant tuning and sounds more full-bodied, like a guitar but it does allow a greater melodic range, and some fingerpicking skills are transferrable between the guitar and the low-G tenor ukulele. Low-G tuned tenor ukes have a metal wound G-string, which produces a deeper more mellow sound than the harshness of re-entrant tuned ukuleles.
    There are other alternative tunings for the tenor ukulele, but these are rare. With the right strings the tenor can be tuned down to D-G-B-E like the baritone uke and the low-G string may be tuned down to a C to produce a greater tonal range. Tenor ukes can also be tuned in fifths or fourths if desired.

Most tenor ukes have 17 to 19 frets.

Uke woods are usually Mahogany, Koa, Spruce, Cedar, Rosewood or Maple. Koa wood produces a more traditional uke sound.

Re: Ukulele Qustions

Thanks very much, Tom! Your comments are very clear and helpful! The high/low G information was quite enlightening, since I always encounter range problems.

Richard

Go Back to forum