• Register
  • Help

Topic: More Ukule Questions

Share/Bookmark

More Ukule Questions

1. Is ukulele staff notation like, like guitar, ordinarily scored an octave higher than sounding pitch?

2. Would ukulele players prefer tab over staff notation?

3. Or would they prefer both simultaneously, notation on the upper staff, tab on the lower staff?

My thought is that the notation would be the preference of the skilled player, leaving the option of personal choice of string. However, my personal choice is for both tab and notation staff.

My last problem (I hope) is how to change a fret number in Sibelius uke tab. It is nearly 5 a.m., and bed time for me, so I will not check with Sibelius till I awaken.

Richard

Re: More Ukule Questions

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    1. Is ukulele staff notation like, like guitar, ordinarily scored an octave higher than sounding pitch?

2. Would ukulele players prefer tab over staff notation?

3. Or would they prefer both simultaneously, notation on the upper staff, tab on the lower staff?

My thought is that the notation would be the preference of the skilled player, leaving the option of personal choice of string. However, my personal choice is for both tab and notation staff.

My last problem (I hope) is how to change a fret number in Sibelius uke tab. It is nearly 5 a.m., and bed time for me, so I will not check with Sibelius till I awaken.

Richard
    This one is a bit more complicated. Reading classic notation seems to be a bane for the ukulele community at large. I have no idea why, but it is. Mostly they want tabs similar to basic guitar playing. However, in most music I have for the instrument the actual notes are placed on one staff and then tabs are placed correspondingly on a second staff.

I believe the uke sounds as written - but someone else may know differently.

Tabs are categorized into three main types: chords (CRD), tablatures (TAB) and chords & tablatures (MIX). It is a lot simpler than musical sheets for piano, so it shouldn’t be that difficult to learn. Tabs show exactly where to place the fingers on the fret board and most of the time also the tempo. If you know how to read guitar tabs, you also know how to read ukulele tabs.

Tab staff isusually created with dashes.

xA|-----------------------------|
    xE|-----------------------------|
    xC|-----------------------------|
    xG|-----------------------------|

Numbers are laid over the “strings” and look like this. A tab is always read from left to right and each number refers to the fret number. In this example you would: pluck the 3rd fret of the (A) string, then pluck the open E string (open string = 0), then the open C string. Then the open G string.

xA|----3------------------------|
    xE|--------0---------------0----|
    xC|------------0-------0--------|
    xG|----------------0------------|

Simply see the chord name above the lyrics or a few chord names next to each other, or shown as below. Play all notes vertically aligned, together (= chord). Here are the chords: F, G, C, Am, D7 and G7. This is used to show the rhythm and tempo.

xA|----0---2---3---0---3---2----|
    xE|----1---3---0---0---2---1----|
    xC|----0---2---0---0---2---2----|
    xG|----2---0---0---2---2---0----|

Other symbols:

Hammer-On – “h”
    Separate two different notes by plucking the note before the “h” and then pressing the note after it. In the example, pick the 2nd fret of the C string, and then “hammer-on” the third fret, C string.

xA|----1------------------------|
    xE|----1------------------------|
    xC|--------2h3-----------------|
    xG|--------------3--------------|

Pull-Off – “p”
    A Pull-Off is opposite of a Hammer-On. Pluck the A string, third fret and then pull-off (let loose) while already holding the A string on the second fret.

xA|---3p2----------------------|
    xE|---------3-------------------|
    xC|-------------2---------------|
    xG|-------------0---------------|

Alternative Hammer-On / Pull-Off – “^”
    Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs are mainly used when it is combination of the two. Play an open E string, hammer-on the third fret of the E string and then let loose again (pull-off).

xA|----0------------------------|
    xE|--------0^3^0-------------|
    xC|----------------4------------|

Sliding – “\” & “/”
    Sliding is for funky songs. Ascending slides are displayed with a “/” symbol, while descending slides with a “\” symbol. Pluck the E string, second fret and slide up the fifth fret. Then pluck the A string, third fret and slide down to the second fret.

xA|----2/5----------------------|
    xE|----------3\2----------------|
    xC|----------------4------------|

Rhythm and Tempo In Tabs

It may be difficult to know what the rhythm or tempo is with just tabs. Sometimes putting numbers closer to each other then other numbers (the closer, the faster you play them). Some tabs will be divided in measures, but that is not common. The problem is solved if the music is on a standard staff above the tabs. But many uke players will not be able to read the actual notes.

I am not familiar with Sibelius, but like Finale it probably has a tab template you can insert below the music staff.

Gosh, I hope this helps at least a little.

Tom

Re: More Ukule Questions

Hi Richard,

If you need a nice sounding Ukulele for playback I sampled my Ukulele a couple years ago and have a .sfz Uke that you can load into Garritan ARIA Player or Plogue sforzando:

Free download here:

http://patcharena.com/downloads/comment.php?dlid=1279

https://soundcloud.com/patcharena/sfz-flukelele-demo

Cheers,
    Chad

Go Back to forum