• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Piccolodeon"

Share/Bookmark

"Piccolodeon"

This is my uncomplicated, little piece for piccolo and harpsichord, "Piccolodeon".

It's not a simple task to compose music for piccolo since it has a very limited playing range, especially in the lower frequencies, of course.

It may sound difficult to perform but it's a "piece of cake" for an experienced player.

I hope that you will derive at least a tad of pleasure from it.

My best to everyone.

Larry Alexander

Re: "Piccolodeon"

Hi Larry

Quite right, not so terribly difficult, but the player will have to breathe sometimes... Or do you intend to kill piccolo players? (LOL )

A wonderful piece, almost a study for the little flute, but a very musical one. Could be a challenge for more advanced students. Well done!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Larry

Quite right, not so terribly difficult, but the player will have to breathe sometimes... Or do you intend to kill piccolo players? (LOL )

A wonderful piece, almost a study for the little flute, but a very musical one. Could be a challenge for more advanced students. Well done!

Max
    Some breathing techniques are known that allow amazing results. One of them is called "circular breathing" which allows for the intake of air into the lungs while simultaneously blowing air out of the mouth to play the instrument. It isn't easy. I could never master it.

Thanks for listening, Mister Max.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post
    Some breathing techniques are known that allow amazing results. One of them is called "circular breathing" which allows for the intake of air into the lungs while simultaneously blowing air out of the mouth to play the instrument. It isn't easy. I could never master it.

Thanks for listening, Mister Max.

Best,

Larry Alexander
    Hi Larry,

I know the circular breathing. It works well with a recorder and the-like little (soft) flutes, but with a full flute or piccolo? Maybe, but I could never do it. The flute spills too much air for that (because of the rather big oval blowing hole). But I don't say it is impossible, only I could never achieve it (on flute or piccolo). But this is besides the issue. A good piccolo player will find a way to perform the piece without continuous breathing, it's too beautiful not to play the piece at all!
    Max

I would have loved to have this excellent selection for my contest-bound piccolo players. You really should approach a publisher of contest music with this. They will eat it up. The kids will love it. Simply put, it is mature and fun. A perfect combination.

As for the breathing issue, while the presentation here may not show it, the places are clearly indicated and between the student and the band director they will flow along very nicely.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post

This is my uncomplicated, little piece for piccolo and harpsichord, "Piccolodeon".

It's not a simple task to compose music for piccolo since it has a very limited playing range, especially in the lower frequencies, of course.

It may sound difficult to perform but it's a "piece of cake" for an experienced player.

I hope that you will derive at least a tad of pleasure from it.

My best to everyone.

Larry Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I would have loved to have this excellent selection for my contest-bound piccolo players. You really should approach a publisher of contest music with this. They will eat it up. The kids will love it. Simply put, it is mature and fun. A perfect combination.

As for the breathing issue, while the presentation here may not show it, the places are clearly indicated and between the student and the band director they will flow along very nicely.

Tom
    If I were younger and in better health I would probably "go commercial" with some of my original music, Mister Tom.

As always, your input is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Go Back to forum