• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop solutions for GigaStudio/GigaSampler

Share/Bookmark

Laptop solutions for GigaStudio/GigaSampler

There is some new info on the NemeSys website about laptop solutions for GigaSampler and GigaStudio. http://www.nemesysmusic.com/support/laptop.html#LaptopTop

The Magma sounds very nice for serious work, but if you just want to run it on the Laptop\'s audio chip you must first replace the WDM driver with the Win9x driver - so make sure this is available for your laptop.

Not mentioned is the RME PCMCIA audio card/breakout. It is the only PCMCIA that I am aware of that claims to have a GSIF driver for Giga. Has anyone tried it?

Re: Laptop solutions for GigaStudio/GigaSampler

Well the Magma is just a PCMCIA->PCI \"breakout box.\" So you spend $1200 for a Magma and have barely enough left over for a Soundblaster! :-)

I think a better solution that\'s GS/GSIF ready is the MOTU 828 firewire audio box. I had one but unfortunately I had a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop which was useless for digital audio (fan turning on/off \"stutters\" the machine causing hideous glitches in audio/video). So I sold everything and never really got to test the MOTU 828 (but there are GSIF drivers).

A PCMCIA firewire card is $50 and the MOTU is about $750 retail so for less than the price of a magma breakout box you\'d be all set with 8 analog I/O, ADAT & SPDIF digital I/O etc.

Go Back to forum