• Register
  • Help

Topic: Major Minor Dance using Garritan Strings from GPO5

Share/Bookmark

Major Minor Dance using Garritan Strings from GPO5

I put this together yesterday just to see what the new GPO5 had in it. I haven't gone through all of it yet, but these new Garritan Strings have a real nice quality to them. They also work well in Finale. This was exported straight from Finale into a wav file with no fancy engineering tricks to make it sound better.

Here is:

Major Minor Dance
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Major Minor Dance using Garritan Strings from GPO5

Considering how quickly you made it, sounds great, hope you'll let us hear it when you are finished.
    Ted

I'm not getting really good crescendo or de-crescendo results with the strings. What human playback setting are you guys using?

Tom

Thanks Ted,

I will do some work on it and expand it to a full piece but I did want to show some of the new things (which aren't many yet) that I have found in the new GPO5.

Tom,

To answer your question, I am using the Classical HP setting. I did have to exaggerate on the dynamics to make them sound good which is not the best thing if you are going to have the music printed when done. There is probably some tweaking that can be done in the settings of HP but I have never gotten into that very much. I am of the belief that it should work right out of the box. Overall, the dynamic range of everything (including playback) is on the very low side. When I convert the Finale file to audio, it is overall low in volume.

[steps on soap box]
    I know that classical music has very soft passages and also very loud but Finale really only presents the sounds in medium loud ranges. And I know it is a program for writing music and presenting it in written form but, more thought could be put into the workings of Finale with thought towards the audio part of music especially in the electronic form that we work in (even in Finale).
    [steps off soap box]

So, I hope that kind of answer your question Tom. Sorry to be so long winded.

Rich

Rich,
    Thanks. It seems that the human playback selected has a varying effect on dynamics. I have found it helpful to go into the Studio View and slide all the switches to the farthest-most right position. That seems to help the over-all volume.

Tom

I don't know what you mean by "Studio View". Is that something in Finale, or the ARIA player, or something else? These programs have gotten so complex over the years it is really hard to know everything about them.

Thanks for the comments, though!

Nevermind! I just started Finale and looked for Studio View. It is basically the same thing as using the Mixer from the "Windows" drop down menu except each staff has its mixer sliders next to it. What you are doing is just raising the output volume of each mixer channel. It is not always a good thing to do it that way. You could get some louder notes or chords that will actually digitally clip. That won't help the sound at all. Also, your softs won't ever really be soft. But, as you said, it is a work-around or compromise no matter what we try. Nothing really beats a group of real musicians interpreting the markings on the musical page.

Rich

That's why I have two of everything. One for the play back and one for the printed copy. They look entirely different; especially in the shown dynamics.

Tom

Go Back to forum