• Register
  • Help

Topic: Formally Introducing Myself....

Share/Bookmark

Formally Introducing Myself....

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi Guys,

My name is Scott Buckley. I was informed of this forum by Philip Chance, who I suppose you might know...or not, whatever.

I am a composer, who has been doing a bit of work in game audio, as well as quite a few short films these days. I recently got contacted by Digital Illusions/Trauma Studios, the fellas behind BF: 1942 and the other guys behind Desert Combat, to compose music for their next release! Yay....now Ill stop being up myself...

Id just like to say Howdi! I am Aussie, living in Brisbane, currently doing my Bachelor of Music at QUT, majoring in Sound Composition. Im a big fan of the Edirol Orchestral Synth, having used it for quite a while, and have finally gotten sound good quality sounding pieces out of it.

If you want to check out some music of mine, you can head to www.mp3.com.au/scottbuckley, and my personal website is www.scottbuckley.tk.

I heard Jeremy Soule roams these forums...is that right? In the presence of royalty.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I look forward to having some fun [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-s

Re: Formally Introducing Myself....

\"I heard Jeremy Soule roams these forums...is that right? In the presence of royalty.... \"

Yes, along with the Fatman and my self.. You may rise young knight!

Just kidding around [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Welcome to the forum.

Cheers
    David Govett (Team fat www.fatman.com)

Hey dude, welcome from one Scott to another and a fellow Aussie too! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nice music. You seem to know what your doing!

I should bow to you.

Take care
    Dave

Bachelor of Music at QUT, majoring in Sound Composition
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Now you\'ve got me interested, what are the requirements to get into such an education?

I\'d love to get some formal schooling in composition, and I\'d love to do it in Australia, a haven for Norwegian students, according to my younger friends studying there.

Unfortunately I can\'t play any instruments, which has kept me from applying to similar studies here in Norway, where at least knowledge of one main and a secondary instrument is required to get into the academy. I can sing well, though, and I\'m using notation software for all my initial work before sending the midi to the squencer.

Awww...shucks.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-s

Originally posted by Paul K Egell-Johnsen:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    Bachelor of Music at QUT, majoring in Sound Composition
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Now you\'ve got me interested, what are the requirements to get into such an education?

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, for entry into the Bachelor of Music: production studies at QUT, you need a folio entry with three works for adjudication, and then you have to sit an interview, as well as perform a piece of music on a chosen instrument. I have been studying piano for most of my life, but when the time came to audition, I got serious tendonitis in both forearms....so I sang....and I got an A+...neato.

Point is, you\'d be able to sing...but you would require some sort of backing as well, whether it be audio cd, or a live pianist.

Similar deal applies for most other universities offering Bachelor of Music production/composition courses, especially in Ozzieland.

Getting formal education in this field is great, especially I actually get to work with professional composers and performers, who definately seem to know what they are doing.

Check it out! www.qut.edu.au...itd be great to have more overseas students!

-s

Originally posted by Scott Buckley:
    Well, for entry into the Bachelor of Music: production studies at QUT, you need a folio entry with three works for adjudication, and then you have to sit an interview,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ll read about what the folio needs to be, but what about the interview, what is their focus? Musical knowledge, or what?

as well as perform a piece of music on a chosen instrument. I have been studying piano for most of my life, but when the time came to audition, I got serious tendonitis in both forearms....so I sang....and I got an A+...neato.

Point is, you\'d be able to sing...but you would require some sort of backing as well, whether it be audio cd, or a live pianist.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So A capella is out of the question? Not a big problem, but I\'m just as comfortable doing it a capella [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Though, my pianist friend David is studying marketing (not music, he says he don\'t want to be a pro like his father) and playing church organs in Perth, he could back me if I did go for the interview and audition.

Getting formal education in this field is great, especially I actually get to work with professional composers and performers, who definately seem to know what they are doing.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">One of the reasons to do it, but another good reason is that I just plain like studies and it is 7 years since I finished CS studies, and I\'m kind of getting itchy.

As for your music, I\'ve been listening while writing this, I like it, it is a couple of levels above my own, though I\'ve been learning rapidly, and I don\'t doubt that given enough time I\'d finish a work of your level.

That\'s another reason I\'d like to study music, to learn the basics have it in my fingers, as of now I use a lot of time to just get it right, I believe I spend more time with what I\'m doing than if I\'d been better schooled in the theory.

Go Back to forum