• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO 5 review: light and darkness...

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation GPO 5 review: light and darkness...

Hello dear friends,
    so finally I got the upgrade... I really didn't need it at all, but I decided to buy it as a tribute to the glorious past, for curiosity, and because upgrading from GPO4 isn't so much expensive (50$).

I have to say first of all to all the owners of GPO4, if they like the product concept and still use GPO, upgrade! It's a no brainer. Really the new ARIA interface and the nice new Garritan Orchestral Strings patches are totally worthy of the upgrade price.
    - the new piano is as good as the basic version of the Authorized Steinway, very good sound and playability, but also the re-editing of the GPO piano is sounding nice and responsivly expressive to play live.
    - the GOS patches are rising the quality of strings to a quantum leap: defined sounds, a variety of articulations, small ensambles... oh gosh if i just had them 10 years ago... :P
    - as all the users are pointing out, the patch navigation system, the new controls, and the Organ consolle are amazing.

I have to say as well the experience is not just made of highlights... there's quite a bit of frustration, and a bit of troubleshooting to do:

this release is obviously delivered under pressure (do you remember the delay in delivery and the lack of news... and the final release the 29th of February... ahah) and still lot of bugs are in the programs and some collateral software
    e.g.
    - the downloaded file wasn't installing properly on my Mac Pro El capitan, I had to unzip and expand on PC first, then transfer it to mac, and suddenly it started working.

- several patch of the Garritan Strings have errors in pan, velocity or dynamic management and need to be adjusted to work fine.

- the Finale Human Playback technics have to be updated manually (that's so crazy: other 3rd party lybraries offer just a finale file with the preferences already enbedded, why Make Music didn't the same with GPO5???)

- the instructions to make the new Human playback XML file are wrong: I had to carefully read the XML syntax to understand where was the error and I spent a bit of time being an expert... Make Music has to urgently fix the wrong guideline or they will make users very very upset and frustrated ahah...

- once I had finally my Finale Human playback preference updated with all the new GPO5 technics, I discover they still are wrong and they don't include several basic articulations like tremolos or detachè, because the KeySwitch are not coherent...

All of the bugs are not so hard to discover, and not so hard to fix as well... I simply hope Make music will dedicate time and resources to debugging, and deliver better support as soon as possible.

For the price, the product is still good and competitive (well, for less than 300$ one had the chance of buying during promotions excellent modern products e.g. from VSL and EWQL, with sound and technolgy definitely superior to GPO. But at this 150$ price GPO5 is superior to any competitor for the brilliant and uniform concept, and the unbeatable quality/price rate).

Re: GPO 5 review: light and darkness...

Great review, Fabio. Thanks.

In addition to your observations, I see that some GPO5 samples include a stereo stage setting and some don't. If this is an error, it's a huge oversight.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Great review! I also did noticed that soundstage option isn't available either. This kind of gets tied in with the attack and release controls. These options should be included with all instruments. I am glad they replied though and that they will be working on a future update for this.

@gogreen1:
    You may want to send a support ticket to Garritan in regards to adding the soundstage to all instruments. I sent a ticket about the attack and release controllers a little while ago, and I got a swift reply with them passing on the info to the team.

Regards,

Richard

Thumbs up Re: GPO 5 review: light and darkness...

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Great review, Fabio. Thanks.

In addition to your observations, I see that some GPO5 samples include a stereo stage setting and some don't. If this is an error, it's a huge oversight.
    Well I assumed this is due to the different recording method: the old GPO samples were recorded close and dry, some other included now, seem to be recorded in the stage position, so they had no artificial stage simulation.

But to make the collection coherent, since almost all of the samples are manipulated to be as dry and central as possible (escluding some of them, appearing as incongruences, as I reported) I agree with you it should be nice to get same controllers for all of them.

You may want to send a support ticket to Garritan in regards to adding the soundstage to all instruments. I sent a ticket about the attack and release controllers a little while ago, and I got a swift reply with them passing on the info to the team.
    Yup. I created a support ticket yesterday. Still awaiting a reply.
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

MM responded only yesterday to my support ticket:

I did want to let you know that your case had been put in a researching status pending investigation of this issue. Currently, I have checked with our Developers and they agree that this controller message should be there. I am now awaiting their updated information to see if this is something that will be resolved in the future, or if they have other suggested workarounds.
    Adding in the mess with GPO5Prefs.xml, I'm guessing an update will be issued. I just hope an update corrects both oversights.
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

I received a response from MM concerning both the GPO5Prefs.xml file and the stereo stage missing controls. I was assured that both problems have been referred to the "QA team."
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Go Back to forum