• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harp glissando in Sonar?

Share/Bookmark

Harp glissando in Sonar?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for creating harp glissandi in Sonar Platinum with GPO5? I've been looking around and I'm seeing some posts referring to "packet" files, but these are pretty old, and I'm not sure if they would apply to either GPO5 or Sonar Platinum anymore. I'm a little disappointed so far with the documentation for GPO5 because on my machine anyway the pages load really slowly. I really liked having the .pdf file locally on my machine. Anyway, any direction would be appreciated.
    I use elevators purely for the music.

Re: Harp glissando in Sonar?

Quote Originally Posted by mkuehlok2 View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for creating harp glissandi in Sonar Platinum with GPO5? I've been looking around and I'm seeing some posts referring to "packet" files, but these are pretty old, and I'm not sure if they would apply to either GPO5 or Sonar Platinum anymore. I'm a little disappointed so far with the documentation for GPO5 because on my machine anyway the pages load really slowly. I really liked having the .pdf file locally on my machine. Anyway, any direction would be appreciated.
    Hello Marv my Friend,

Do you mean something like this?

My Midnight Clear Harp Clip

..... also I just threw the following clip together very quickly in Sonar Platinum with GPO5.

Sonar Platinum GPO5 Harp Glissando Example

If these are the sort of thing you want, unfortunately there is no plugin or tool in Sonar to generate glissandos, they have to be created manually.

I've uploaded the Sonar file I made if you wanted to look at it in your Sonar there. The PRV will show how I used short duration notes and built up the audio file above. The notes duration used will, to some extent, depend on the speed of your music. Here is the zip file.

Sonar File and Examples Zip

You could always edit and/or extend the sample to your needs or I'd be happy to put together a file for you if you let me know what you need. I expect you would like to experiment and try it yourself but my offer is there if you need it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Best wishes,

Michael
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thumbs up Re: Harp glissando in Sonar?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello Marv my Friend,

Do you mean something like this?

My Midnight Clear Harp Clip

..... also I just threw the following clip together very quickly in Sonar Platinum with GPO5.

Sonar Platinum GPO5 Harp Glissando Example

If these are the sort of thing you want, unfortunately there is no plugin or tool in Sonar to generate glissandos, they have to be created manually.

I've uploaded the Sonar file I made if you wanted to look at it in your Sonar there. The PRV will show how I used short duration notes and built up the audio file above. The notes duration used will, to some extent, depend on the speed of your music. Here is the zip file.

Sonar File and Examples Zip

You could always edit and/or extend the sample to your needs or I'd be happy to put together a file for you if you let me know what you need. I expect you would like to experiment and try it yourself but my offer is there if you need it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Best wishes,

Michael
    Yes, Michael that is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was talking about. I just had a chance to listen to the examples tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time to look at the Sonar file. While I was looking for some posts on the subject, I came across some that referred to "packet files," but I think that was for older versions of Sonar, and I'm not sure that the people posting were using Garritan instruments. I rather thought I'd have to build it up manually, but I just wanted to check with others to see if I was missing something (not unusual for me). Thanks SO much for the examples and help!

Quote Originally Posted by mkuehlok2 View Post
    Yes, Michael that is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was talking about. I just had a chance to listen to the examples tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time to look at the Sonar file.
    Hello Marv,

OOooops .. I uploaded the wrong files .. in my haste. Apologies.

Please redownload the zip file. This new Sonar file should load the GPO5 harp I used.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

FWIW, the new Pedal Mode Glissando Harps included in GPO5 don't need to use MIDI packets. But instead you setup your desired 'gliss' pedal tuning via the Pedal Mode tuning sliders. Each of these sliders can be automated with MIDI CCs #39-#45. You can send these MIDI CCs as automation within your instrument track inside of SONAR. Then the custom tuning you've setup will be locked to the white keys, slide up and down for realistic harp glissandi!

You can see a demo of this from the Garritan Harps library videos:

Watch around 2:30 within this video:
    https://youtu.be/gDfCaYxmjNE

The new harps which use the Pedal Mode are:

Concert Grand Harp 1 KS
    Pedal Mode Glissando Harp 1
    Pedal Mode Glissando Harp 2

We believe the new Pedal Mode harps give the most realistic virtual Concert Harp experience. I don't believe any other virtual harp offers the same amount of flexibility when it comes to performing custom pedaling, and gliss.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    FWIW, the new Pedal Mode Glissando Harps included in GPO5 don't need to use MIDI packets. But instead you setup your desired 'gliss' pedal tuning via the Pedal Mode tuning sliders. Each of these sliders can be automated with MIDI CCs #39-#45. You can send these MIDI CCs as automation within your instrument track inside of SONAR. Then the custom tuning you've setup will be locked to the white keys, slide up and down for realistic harp glissandi!

You can see a demo of this from the Garritan Harps library videos:

Watch around 2:30 within this video:
    https://youtu.be/gDfCaYxmjNE

The new harps which use the Pedal Mode are:

Concert Grand Harp 1 KS
    Pedal Mode Glissando Harp 1
    Pedal Mode Glissando Harp 2

We believe the new Pedal Mode harps give the most realistic virtual Concert Harp experience. I don't believe any other virtual harp offers the same amount of flexibility when it comes to performing custom pedaling, and gliss.
    Thanks Chad! Terrific example of what GPO5 harps can do. Not being a harpist myself, it seems a bit daunting, but I'll sure enough have some fun rummaging around amongst the strings.

Go Back to forum