• Register
  • Help

Topic: final

Share/Bookmark

final

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Privacy advocates continued to raise objections on Tuesday to a new Google Inc. free e-mail service, which is slated to include targeted advertisements based on e-mail content. A list of 28 privacy groups called on the firm to suspend its plans to scan the text of all incoming e-mail in order to target the ads. Meanwhile, a European privacy organization has asked the British and German governments to investigate the service.

Re: final

Well, as long as this is explained clearly to anyone considering signing up for the service, I don\'t see the problem. If you don\'t want your e-mail scanned and you don\'t want ads, then you\'re free to choose another service.

Well, as long as this is explained clearly to anyone considering signing up for the service, I don\'t see the problem. If you don\'t want your e-mail scanned and you don\'t want ads, then you\'re free to choose another service.

Brady, as long as it\'s explained clearly to everyone, you mean... maybe you forget that it needs 2 sides for communication: sender and reciever. So if you send an email to someone who got Gmail your mail would be scanned as well even though you never sign-up an agreement.

Just some thoughts on this one....

Re: I am god

In retrospect, go to www.google.com and type in \"weapons of mass destruction\" and click the button that says \"I\'m feeling lucky\"

I\'m not so sure... When I send an e-mail to someone, whatever information I\'m sending them I expect them to treat responsibly. If they know they have a coworker who frequently reads their e-mail over their shoulder, then it\'s up to them to inform me of this so I can take it into account when writing my e-mails. That being said, I don\'t think it would be a bad idea to append to the bottom of every out-going e-mail from one of these free accounts a notice that all e-mail through that service is insecure.

But let\'s look at this realistically. E-mail providers already have the capability to snoop through your e-mails. Every time they serve you up a page of web-based e-mail, there\'s an opportunity for them to take a peek if they want to. The only real difference in this case is that you\'re being told about it up-front and it is for advertising purposes. I can certainly think of alot worse things. For instance, laws that have been passed and are being passed to make it easier and easier for the government to spy on you - through e-mail and otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]

But let\'s look at this realistically. E-mail providers already have the capability to snoop through your e-mails. Every time they serve you up a page of web-based e-mail, there\'s an opportunity for them to take a peek if they want to. The only real difference in this case is that you\'re being told about it up-front and it is for advertising purposes. I can certainly think of alot worse things. For instance, laws that have been passed and are being passed to make it easier and easier for the government to spy on you - through e-mail and otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I think a lot of folks are under the illusion that email has the same confidentiallity as a private letter. In fact, clear text emails are about as private as a shouting match at the public library.

If you don\'t want Google reading your emails, use PGP. The NSA can probably still read it but nobody else can [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Lets keep it real simple.

No matter who you use for email, no matter who you talk to, just pretend that everything you say is open to scrutiny to everyone. That is the rule with email. Don\'t say anything online or in email that you are not proud for everyone to see. (The boss, the wife, the CIA etc..) Otherwise, anything you say can and will be used against you at some point. I know I\'ve learned this the medium-hard way when a private tech support email comment or two got posted all over the forums in the past.

\"David Govett of NemeSys said...\"

No damage done but it was an eye opener and hammered my point home.

Have fun
    Dave

Go Back to forum