• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Topic: "Four Days"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    "Four Days"

    Dear friends,

    it has been a while since I have been here, and even longer since I posted an original composition. But now I have something, well, it is in draft status and needs some more work, but I gladly share this with you.

    It is a little piece called "Four Days". Simple and traditional, sometimes a bit obnoxious with its musical references to well known music clichees. Never mind the ending, that is still work in progress.

    https://soundcloud.com/reinhold-behringer/four-days

    The recording was made with GPO5, but does not yet use any of the additional features of that sound library.

    I hope some of you enjoy this!

    Cheers,
    Reinhold
    Last edited by reinholdbehringer; 03-21-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: forgot to mention GPO5

  2. #2
    Senior Member tedvanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada,winter Mexico
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: "Four Days"

    All this is in 20 days?

    Just wonderful, and I really mean it. Maybe it is still in the works, but to my sense, it is done, and done very well.
    Using GPO5, you should (if you would have time?) give us a lecture, how did you manage this?
    I am going to listen a few more times, to learn as much as I could.
    Please visit here and let us enjoy what you are doing....
    Congratulation Rheinhold.

    Ted

  3. #3

    Re: "Four Days"

    If you mean a Mahlerian ancestry for those musical clichees, well, play on!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

  4. #4
    Senior Member tedvanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada,winter Mexico
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: "Four Days"

    I did not realize that I liked your 4 days because it was "Mahlerian" as Fabio puts it. I listened again and again this morning, I still like it very much. I takes some talent (yours) to be Mahlerian. Please do not forget us when you finished it to your liking, wish to hear it again.
    Ted

  5. #5

    Re: "Four Days"

    Hi Reinhold,

    How nice to hear something from you again.
    Your 'restart' is at once a hit! Fantastic piece and composition.

    One small remark however (you say it's only a draft version...) The orchestral balance is not quite right. As far as I can judge, the woodwinds play in front of the strings and have too much clarity (as a consequence). That's not abnormal with the GPO woodwinds. They are so good and powerful, that they always tend to come on the foreground. The attacks in the strings (at 5'50" and further) are a bit too powerful and therefore seem unnatural (to me).

    But apart from that, I really like your composition. Mahlerian or not, it's a delicate orchestral piece, most enjoyable.

    Max

  6. #6

    Re: "Four Days"

    Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    All this is in 20 days?

    Just wonderful, and I really mean it. Maybe it is still in the works, but to my sense, it is done, and done very well.
    Using GPO5, you should (if you would have time?) give us a lecture, how did you manage this?
    I am going to listen a few more times, to learn as much as I could.
    Please visit here and let us enjoy what you are doing....
    Congratulation Rheinhold.

    Ted

    Thank you, Ted!
    I am very glad that you enjoy this little piece!

    Re. GPO5: not really any problems there. I just installed it, together with the new ARIA player, and now I can use the older GPO4 and the GPO5 - which does have the same sounds and structure as the GPO4, but these new/old sounds seem to be a bit more refined in GPO5.

    I wrote the whole thing in GPO4, and just when it was about done, end of Feb, GPO5 came out. So a bit tweaking, that was all that needed to be done.

  7. #7

    Re: "Four Days"

    Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    If you mean a Mahlerian ancestry for those musical clichees, well, play on!
    Thank you, Fabio! Yes, I can promise there will be more of that coming!

  8. #8

    Re: "Four Days"

    Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I did not realize that I liked your 4 days because it was "Mahlerian" as Fabio puts it. I listened again and again this morning, I still like it very much. I takes some talent (yours) to be Mahlerian. Please do not forget us when you finished it to your liking, wish to hear it again.
    Ted
    I did actually not deliberately use "Mahlerian style", it is just what I have learned over the years now, so it is hard for me to change and write differently.

    The piece is actually supposed to be extended into 8 days, but I ran out of steam... need some creative break to continue with this.

  9. #9

    Re: "Four Days"

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Reinhold,

    How nice to hear something from you again.
    Your 'restart' is at once a hit! Fantastic piece and composition.

    One small remark however (you say it's only a draft version...) The orchestral balance is not quite right. As far as I can judge, the woodwinds play in front of the strings and have too much clarity (as a consequence). That's not abnormal with the GPO woodwinds. They are so good and powerful, that they always tend to come on the foreground. The attacks in the strings (at 5'50" and further) are a bit too powerful and therefore seem unnatural (to me).

    But apart from that, I really like your composition. Mahlerian or not, it's a delicate orchestral piece, most enjoyable.

    Max

    Dear Max,
    thank you for sharing your impression of listening to this with a fresh ear, and noticing the imbalance. Since I have listened to it very often, I tend to neglect this and not hear imbalances anymore. Maybe my ear adapts to the idiosyncrasies of the sound samples, and I do internally an automatic listening adaptation and normalisation.

    In any case, you are of course right, and I will change this at the next revision. I will also have a look at the string attack. Of course I did want it to be a bit "attacky", with strong emphasis, but it shall be played within the reasonable instrument range.

    One reason for the over-emphasis of the woodwinds is probably my work method: I usually put down first all the strings, then add the other instruments on top. And there is where I seem to put them too loud.

    So thank you very much for the constructive comment!

  10. #10

    Re: "Four Days"

    Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Dear Max,
    thank you for sharing your impression of listening to this with a fresh ear, and noticing the imbalance. Since I have listened to it very often, I tend to neglect this and not hear imbalances anymore. Maybe my ear adapts to the idiosyncrasies of the sound samples, and I do internally an automatic listening adaptation and normalisation.

    In any case, you are of course right, and I will change this at the next revision. I will also have a look at the string attack. Of course I did want it to be a bit "attacky", with strong emphasis, but it shall be played within the reasonable instrument range.

    One reason for the over-emphasis of the woodwinds is probably my work method: I usually put down first all the strings, then add the other instruments on top. And there is where I seem to put them too loud.

    So thank you very much for the constructive comment!
    That's right, Reinhold, it is like reading your own text to correct possible typos and grammar errors. In most cases you won't even notice them because the text is so clear in your mind that you don't read every syllable, every word, but a whole of phrases. The same happens with music. What you hear (after intensive compositors activity) is what you intended to hear, not what is really there... And the Garritan woodwinds are really strong (as a result of the recording technique???). They are so clear and good that they could easily pass the test for soloing instruments.
    But I'm sure you will eventually normalise the final balance to a realistic performance.

    Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •