• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO5 review and Short song

Share/Bookmark

GPO5 review and Short song

I made a video walk through of GPO5 and a short song. Check it out if you want to hear how the new GPO sounds.

Re: GPO5 review and Short song

Here is a short song using GPO5

Thanks for the very helpful evaluation and the lovely song. I very much agree about GPO5, some of it i like, some of it I feel it is the same as GPO4. Altogether, the upgrade was worthwhile.
    Looks like to me that you are on Sonar, so am I. I wondered if you did figure it out how to make a program change in Sonar. Of course sounds available as key-switches is easy to change, but most of the available variations I see have no bank numbers or patch numbers to use in Sonar as a program change. If you do, could you let us know?

Ted

Ted,

Like all libraries of this type GPO, as well as all the other ARIA based Garritan libraries, don't use bank select/program change to load the sample set into the ARIA player 'slots'.

Others I've used, like East West and Vienna (VSL) work in the same way, that is, one needs to pre-load the samples oneself. Thereafter, if saved as a 'work' file, e.g. cwp, then the loaded samples should be saved with the MIDI file.

It seems to be one of the penalties of having much more accuracy in the sample set that they must be pre-loaded rather than just switching between 'voices'.

The solution is to use another track in the sequencer to switch to another sample set on another channel (perhaps within another copy of ARIA, on another MIDI port) to access the additional bowing techniques.

This is especially true of the new GOS (orchestral strings) section, where there seem to be no key switches at all. Perhaps this is an oversight, or possibly the key switches will come later.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Thanks and suspected that this will be the answer. On the GOS they should have included key-switches, let us hope they will do it later. I can see different ways to get around the problem but all of them means more work...
    Thanks again: Ted

The last option in "section," "small section," and "solo" contains KS Groups which are, as the name implies, keyswitch instruments.

I am not very observant as I explore GPO5. Thanks, they are there of course
    Ted

Ted,

At the moment I'm revising some of the xml files (initially the new SAM brass ones) that come with GPO5, in order to move the MUTE switch over to the right hand side, and to reinstate the stereo stage controls on the left. Then test it extensively.

Once I've been through the library doing that for further instruments than brass, and trying to sort out the loop points in one or two samples that 'click' on long notes, then I plan to examine the sfz files for the new strings, especially GOS, and see whether it's possible to create some key switch groups for them.

I'm quite sure that it's possible in terms of the sfz code.
    The issue that may arise is that all of the instruments I've looked at have more than one sample per note, i.e. one sample piano, the other mezzo. (Some as many as four samples per note, e.g. 1st violin sautille.) So the physical size of loading into an ARIA slot may be an issue.
    It may mean creating more than one key switch per instrument, e.g. KS sus and KS short.

(It's interesting that with these samples, some are mono others stereo.)

Whether Chad will beat me to it, it's likely, since I'm a one man band, but I'll have a go and post my results for others to use.

Any input about the order/priority in which I should tackle some of these personal projects would be most welcome.

Kind regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful evaluation and the lovely song. I very much agree about GPO5, some of it i like, some of it I feel it is the same as GPO4. Altogether, the upgrade was worthwhile.
    Looks like to me that you are on Sonar, so am I. I wondered if you did figure it out how to make a program change in Sonar. Of course sounds available as key-switches is easy to change, but most of the available variations I see have no bank numbers or patch numbers to use in Sonar as a program change. If you do, could you let us know?

Ted
    Thanks. Unfortunately I haven't tried using program changes, so I don't know if it will work. I really like GPO5, but that doesn't mean it isn't without issues. I hope they can work these out over time, but as I said in my review it is a great update.

Thanks John for taking the time to answer and old fool like me, looking forward to any further help you can give us,but what you are doing is magic for me, clueless I am...

Thanks again, Ted

Go Back to forum