• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does latest Gigastudio work w/ win2000??

Share/Bookmark

Does latest Gigastudio work w/ win2000??

Lots of people are wondering about this.

Re: Does latest Gigastudio work w/ win2000??

Unfortunately it will not work in Windows 2000. But in October or so Windows XP (Windows 2002) will come out and Nemesys has said they will have an XP capable 2.5 version of GigaStudio ready then.

Nemesys originally promised win2k support by end of last summer, so who knows when the 2.5 version will actually be out.

But one thing is clear, Nemesys better come out with XP support fast because there won\'t be any new PCs sold with Windows Me after XP comes out. No XP product = diminishing market share for Nemesys, so that should be a good incentive for them...

I\'m just coming back to Gigasampler after a year layoff from keys; but I am a little surprised that there is no W2K support yet. Is the disk-streaming technology that hard to port over? Still, it was worth making my system dual bootable to get back to Gigasampler. I like Sonar & the stability of Win2K but the Win2K samplers available (e.g. DXi or whatever) just can\'t touch GS. Now if they came out with a Gigastudio DXi instrument I would be in heaven (and they would probably sell a million copies ;-)

This issue frustrated me to no end. I purchased a computer to function as a dedicated gigastudio computer. Thinking I\'d be super hip, I purchased windows 2000, formatted the disk (which contained windows ME preinstalled) and installed windows 2000. After learning, to my shock, that it wouldn\'t run on win 2000 I tried to reinstall windows me from the system restore disk that came with my computer only to learn that that disk was corrupted in some way.

Nemesys needs to get its act together about this. I\'m running windows 98 now, which I bought off ebay, my brand new copy of win 2k sits in its box, unused. I\'ll admit, if it required I wear corduroy bellbottoms and grow a mullet to correct latency problems, I probably would, but that doesn\'t make it right.

My apologies for ranting.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bilbur:
    This issue frustrated me to no end. I purchased a computer to function as a dedicated gigastudio computer. Thinking I\'d be super hip, I purchased windows 2000, formatted the disk (which contained windows ME preinstalled) and installed windows 2000. After learning, to my shock, that it wouldn\'t run on win 2000 I tried to reinstall windows me from the system restore disk that came with my computer only to learn that that disk was corrupted in some way.

My apologies for ranting.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don\'t think you should blame Nemesys for you not reading the system requirements of Gigasampler/Studio....

Afterall the program works fine under Win98.

Nemesys aren\'t (weren\'t) a huge company.

When Win2k came out, there was very little driver support for it in the music industry, and people were already talking about the NEXT os from MS.

They have been working on WinXP for a while now and say that their work on XP will apply to 2k, so it should follow Giga XP pretty quickly - maybe even quicker now that Tascam own them.

I was about to post this exact question, just as a check.

People may realize that alot of the new dual Athlon machines will not run Win98/ME (I\'ve tried!!). There is no driver support for many of the built in devices, which means Win2000/NT is absolutely the only way.

I was about to buy a dual Athlon machine but will now not be able to do so. I get the impression alot of people are suddenly looking seriously at Win2K and alot of manufacturers have now released upgrades/driver support. I really hope Nemesys get it together. IMHO Win2K support is miles more important than XP. XP doesn\'t exist yet - period - and nobody knows what take up is going to be like for music.

Oh well.

Mhh ... I can assure you, WinXP works as good or even better than Win2000. With music programs and in general. I have been using it for the last few weeks and it worked right out of the box with my Windows 2000 drivers for soundcard/midiinterface. Also I have not found any problems with Cubase, Reaktor, Reason or any other music program I could find. Except for GS of course :-)))

And don´t think it´s far from being released. I am running the last release candidate. It will be finished in about 2 weeks (!) from now and will start being installed on PC´s everywhere in September already.

I really think its the best OS Microsoft has made so far. It´s the best of both worlds. Stable as Windows 2000 and much more compatible and userfriendly than every other OS from MS so far.

Since Win XP\'s core is the same as 2K\'s,the issue seems to be a GSIF compatible driver that works with/alongside WDM drivers and not be limited to the 16 bit MME emulation,whatever driver solution works for Win XP should work for 2K,so hold on to your copies.But on the other hand,GSIF is \"supposed\" to work alongside low latencey ASIO drivers,or do they.Since the sample buffer requirements for other low latencey drivers(ASIO/WDM)are in direct conflict with GSIF I wonder how their going to pull this trick off.

Go Back to forum