• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO5 snippets

GPO5 snippets

I took the plunge and also got the GPO5 upgrade. While there are still some rough edges here and there (seems a bit rushed out), there are some impressive improvements for the prices.

Like others, the Intimate D piano is just something (worth the money by itself). So, here are two bits of work that highlight what GPO5 can do.

1) The intro to a piece called Why Me? (All GPO5 strings but took some blending and EQing, GPO choirs (boys and full), Kontakt VSL choir, and Ivy Audio - Clare -- which is free and really nice).
    2) In salute to Ennio Mariccone (and my parents 50th). Gabriel's Oboe ala GPO5 Intimate D and Embertone Cello. Both tracks were played live (piano on keyboard) and cello on the EWI.

The strings are pretty good improvement and quite usable with a bit of fiddling. Again, for the budget well worth it.

Re: GPO5 snippets

I like Gabriel's Oboe a lot! Very nice work. You are right the Intimate Piano sounds great and especially in this setting. "Why Me" is interesting but way to short. I know it is an intro. I really did not hear the strings. They were overbalanced by the vocal part. Oh, and Ivy Audio - Clare is not really free. You have to have the FULL Kontakt player for it to work.

You are doing nice work thanks for the demos.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

I listened to the strings on many speakers. What is your setup like Rich?

That intimate piano pretty much sounds worth the price of admission on it's own.. I gotta stop procrastinating and get on with the updating!

Nice work, esp the second snippet.

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

I listened to the strings on many speakers. What is your setup like Rich?
    I am using an Alesis RA100 amp, Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer and ASIO sound card,and Polk Audio book shelve Monitors.

It may not be my set up more than my old ears which have lost a lot of the upper frequencies (and I do mean a lot). So, everything may be just fine except for my old ears.

I do like the sound of both pieces and would really like to hear the complete works or maybe I missed those being posted already.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Really liked those demos too. Excellent work. Thank you for sharing.

Like RichR I've lost a huge amount of my high frequency hearing.
    A recent test showed it to start disappearing around 4KHz, being about 3 or 4 dB down at that point and doing a steep dive thereafter. So the higher register of the violins get completely lost.
    Sadly that's also coupled, in my case, with increased distortion in these higher frequencies, so I can't turn the volume up without pain.

Looking at the Steinway soft sus samples in GPO5, I find much in common with the basic Steinway that was discontinued some while back.

My summary to date of what's in GPO5:
    A complete copy of the GPO4 sample library with one or two of original sfz files removed/deactivated, so not everything that was in GPO4 is playable, but most of it.
    A copy of a large amount (all?) of the full Garritan Steinway. I only got the basic version just before the product was discontinued.
    A copy of much of the original GOS library with new sfz files. I never had this, so it's just a guess, but it seems logical.
    If we take a look in the Solo Strings library we find "Del Jesu, Klotz, Montagnana, Palotta and Stradivarius". So, who knows, maybe we have some of the original Strad library.
    Lots of added SAM samples in the brass section.
    Some new percussion, and some useful new choir samples.
    Oh! And I almost forgot, loads of samples from the GCPO library with a new interface in ARIA for it.

(No oboe da caccia nor violoncello piccolo. Boo hoo!)

So, a good chunk of new material in all instruments except woodwinds.

What has changed, and in some cases quite markedly so, is that the new material, compared to GPO4, almost exclusively has multiple samples per note, from piano to forte. Particularly so with the new solo strings and pianos. Some notes at the outer ranges of the instrument with just two samples, a few with three, but most of the central range having four.

Hence "Sonic Morphing".

However, I'm still in the process of examination, moving the MUTE control and re-instating the stereo stage, where missing. (And that d**n oboe d'amore has started clicking again on low B/C.)

¿ADSR controls? We'll see.
    Maybe they'll beat me to it, he said hopefully.

Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Go Back to forum