• Register
  • Help

Topic: Feedback needed re: GPO5 new layout.

Share/Bookmark

Feedback needed re: GPO5 new layout.

Hi all new GPO5 owners.

I would very much appreciate your feedback with reference to some work I've been doing on one GPO5 xml file.
    The work has influenced the appearance only of the new SAM brass legato patches.

What you'll see is the MUTE control that was on the left hand side of the controls section (underneath the equaliser) moved over to the right hand side, lowest row, and relabelled slightly.

In addition I've reinstated the Stereo Stage controls in its former position, underneath the equaliser, as follows:

What I'd be grateful for is some feedback as to whether you think this layout works?
    Does the stereo stage need to go left a bit?
    Does the mute control look correct?
    How do I stand legally modifying someone else's code. (Given that the xml and sfz specifications are public domain.)

Most importantly, should I be tackling this at all? (I did it just to see if I could do it!)
    I have no prior xml experience, but I am a trained and qualified assembler/machine code programmer from as long ago as the late sixties, and xml is just a simple mark up language, as is sfz. This bit took just a few hours this afternoon.
    (it should have taken just a few minutes, but I did have to work out how the xml code works, and how to modify it.)

N.B. Because the xml is done for this one file does NOT mean that I can apply it yet to all new instruments.
    Neither does it mean that I have completed the alteration of the sfz file(s) to reinstate a working stereo stage.
    That will follow next. (At the moment that looks a little more challenging, but not rocket science.)

I made a start with the brass legato simply because it was the first one in an alphabetical list.

However, it may be more appropriate to implement the work, a section at a time, commencing with another choice.
    If at all! Your choice.

If you would like to see this work go ahead, please let me know what your priorities would be in terms of the new instruments. I.E. What should come first, 2nd, etc.

In due course I may turn my hand to adding ADSR to all the older GPO4 instruments and whatever else catches my eye. Suggestions (clean ones!) readily accepted.

Finally.
    Don't expect a rapid turn around, I'm only a one man band.
    But what I intend to do, should the project go ahead, is to complete a section, e.g. brass, test it extensively and allow one or two others to do the same, then post the modifications privately to those who'd like them.

Comments, keep them clean, gratefully received.
    Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Re: Feedback needed re: GPO5 new layout.

Hi John,

This looks great! Thanks so much for doing this. If you want some help with some of the gruntwork, let me know. Many years ago, I also occasionally did some assembly language programming. This seems somewhat similar. My time is pretty much taken up (the trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off) until mid-July but after that , I may have some bandwidth.

Although the upgrade is quite nice and very much worth it, GPO5 strikes me as a rush job that wasn't sufficiently tested. There are too many odd bits missing or in error. I wonder if the team doing the work is quite small, maybe even only one person(Chad?) doing both the programming and the testing. It is usually best to have testing done by a separate team if at all possible.

Chris

Having been a fan of GPO since its beginning, I very much appreciate any and all efforts to improve it as time allows. Bravo on your efforts and keep me in mind as your project continues.

Tom

Chris, Tom, thanks very much for your feedback.

Chris, thanks for the offer of help, I'll let you know once I have clearer idea of what's needed myself.
    Like you I believe that it was a rush job to get GPO5 out by the end of the month when there was clearly some work left uncompleted. The lack of consistency of the GUI of various instruments is one key area of concern. My own desire would be to have total consistency across the interface for all instruments, e.g. stereo stage and ADSR everywhere Room allowing).

My feeling (judging by feedback to date) is that Chad was/is a prime mover in the ARIA GUI and the underlying XML code, as well as SFZ, but my understanding is that Chad is now part of the company PatchArena so would need to be contracted to work on this. (There's a Chad@PA over in the KVR forum. See http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...=gpo5#p6421733)

Wasn't Chad one of the casualties when the takeover occurred?

Judging by past experience it may be quite some while (end of the year?) before we see a significant upgrade to the product, rectifying faults / creating more consistency right through the instruments. I hope I'm wrong.

Do you have any preferences in the order in which I carry out modifications? I.e. should I have started with the strings?
    If you have found faults in loop points of long held notes or incorrect operation of controls please let me know.

Otherwise I'll carry on with sorting out SAM brass and get the stereo stage control working asap. I think I worked out how the SFZ code works yesterday.

Tom, I'd be very grateful if you could let me know what niggles you about GPO5 at the moment, and what you feel is needed first.

Tom and Chris, I do wonder whether this chat is best held in public view or would be better taken off line? Please go ahead and PM me if you feel the latter.

Today's task: get stereo stage working in SAM brass.

Regards,
    John.

I am using Finale 2014 and GPO5 with ARIA Player v1.860 and ARIA Engine v1.872

Mostly I have trouble with percussion samples - when used with Finale 2014 many of the volumes are so low (even with ffff dynamics applied and sliders in studio view fully to the right) that the instrument simply cannot be heard over the quietest flute. At highest speaker volume, Snares, bass Drum are very faint and virtually not there once the other orchestra members are added.

Tom

Interesting, Tom,

I'll take a look at those.

On another note, I've just learnt that an update to GPO5 is imminent. Version 5.01.
    It will bring with it an upgrade to v1.872 of the ARIA player.
    It'll mean another complete download I believe.
    As soon as I know more I'll post the details.

Regards,
    John.

Here's another one. Writing for trumpet with a quarter note followed by 3 8th notes in triplet form, the first of the triples does not sound - or at least does so very very quietly regardless of volume or articulation settings. This makes elaborate brass fanfares virtually impossible.

I wonder if loading samples as standard rather than notation would make a difference. I have been told repeatedly that the notation settings were designed specifically for Finale interface and that standard setting would not work.

Tom

Update: I just went in and tried a variety of articulations and techniques using standard rather than notation settings. The difference is amazing. I mentioned this on another site and was told that things like dynamics and slurs won't work in Finale 2014 if standard settings are used. I will research that later this evening. But clearly the production of triplets and other fast tonguing effects on the trumpet are vastly improved using standard settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Update: I just went in and tried a variety of articulations and techniques using standard rather than notation settings. The difference is amazing. I mentioned this on another site and was told that things like dynamics and slurs won't work in Finale 2014 if standard settings are used. I will research that later this evening. But clearly the production of triplets and other fast tonguing effects on the trumpet are vastly improved using standard settings.
    Tom,

I understand that in Finale certain articulations can be associated with MIDI commands to get the best out of the libraries that one has available. It would appear that some sort of merging has to be done to the xml code that governs this process, and I'm no expert on that. (Something I MUST look into.)

Over on the MM Finale forum there was a series of posts attempting to resolve this.
    It's called something like the GPO5 preferences file.
    Try about 4 pages deep into here:
    http://forum.makemusic.com/default.a...5&p=1&m=468836.

Go Back to forum