• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO5.01 available to download.

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb GPO5.01 available to download.

Hi all.

This is NOT an April Fool's joke. Sorry, yes it is an April Fool's joke

I've just downloaded GPO5 again (a clue from elsewhere) and I've discovered that the installer is now version 5.01.
    It installs the latest update to ARIA, namely player 1.872 with the same engine.
    There's no visible sign on the download page that it's a new version (that I can see).
    Maybe I'm going blind as well as deaf. (Daft is a foregone conclusion.)

It also reloads all the samples again, which is a pain in terms of time taken, and I'm not sure yet whether it's necessary.

Quite what has changed, apart from the ARIA player version, I'm not sure at this time.
    If I discover what, I'll let you know.

If you discover please post your findings.

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Re: GPO5.01 available to download.

Downloaded, installed, but no attack or release controllers yet... Maybe next update...

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Downloaded, installed, but no attack or release controllers yet... Maybe next update...
    Don't hold your breath, will you?

If you want ADSR controls on everything, it may be quicker for me to do them, and that won't be very quick.
    The question is, if you want a row of ADSR controls, how does one fit all the other controls in the space available?
    If some controls have to be sacrificed, then which ones?

Warning
    Please if you've downloaded the update read this.

Apart from the updated ARIA player I can't find the things in the press release they say are there.
    In my copy I find no Stereo Stage controls in any of the new brass instruments as they say in the press release.
    Ah, it was April the first, all fools day.

The html manual in the help folder has been refreshed, it seems. It's now dated 15/03/2016.

What a waste of time.

Just sent in a bug report.

Don't bother with the download. (IMHO)

What I really want the most is the release controller for all of the pianos. It would also be nice to have attack and release on the solo strings. If you can do this, thanks man! I just don't have the patience to edit those files. I'm still waiting patiently so I can properly use GPO5. I need these in order to get the most of it. Until then, I'm just mainly using my other libraries.

I agree, this update is not worth the full download of the library and that LONG installation process.

Regards,

Richard

Richard,

It's certainly possible to create those controls (now that I understand how the xml works and, to a lesser extent at the moment, the sfz), but where I am right now, I wonder whether Chad has already done a good deal of the work and it's just the release of the xml and sfz files that has been messed up by their exclusion from the update.

I've already created a subroutine with the ADSR controls within it and another with the newly positioned mute control, which could then be inserted on any of the three available lines on the right of the GUI. But, what I don't want to do, is put the effort in only to find that MM release an official version of the same thing in the coming week. Especially so as the official xml and sfz files will then have been updated.

So meanwhile, I'm going to continue my learning process and see what transpires this week. Then pick up the gauntlet again at the end of the week.

I'll keep the forum posted.
    Regards,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    Richard,

It's certainly possible to create those controls (now that I understand how the xml works and, to a lesser extent at the moment, the sfz), but where I am right now, I wonder whether Chad has already done a good deal of the work and it's just the release of the xml and sfz files that has been messed up by their exclusion from the update.

I've already created a subroutine with the ADSR controls within it and another with the newly positioned mute control, which could then be inserted on any of the three available lines on the right of the GUI. But, what I don't want to do, is put the effort in only to find that MM release an official version of the same thing in the coming week. Especially so as the official xml and sfz files will then have been updated.

So meanwhile, I'm going to continue my learning process and see what transpires this week. Then pick up the gauntlet again at the end of the week.

I'll keep the forum posted.
    Regards,
    John.
    I would like the ADSR for the winds in GPO5. How do you program the XML for that? Any links to show some tutorials on that? I'm REALLY hoping that Garritan will add this feature, for me it is really needed. - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by grpetz View Post
    I would like the ADSR for the winds in GPO5. How do you program the XML for that? Any links to show some tutorials on that? I'm REALLY hoping that Garritan will add this feature, for me it is really needed. - Gary
    Hi Gary,
    No, sorry I don't have any tutorials for xml.
    I just read the code and worked it out. (I used to be a programmer.)
    It's only a mark up language like html.
    The xml just specifies what is placed in the GUI and where, that is, how it appears to the user.

And any changes in the xml need to have the corresponding instructions to the ARIA player placed in sfz files, so you have to learn sfz code as well.
    Although much of it is a copy and paste job, you have to know what to copy and where to.

In the xml, essentially one specifies 'x' and 'y' coordinates for the various rows of text (the captions), and for the predefined buttons, for each instrument's xml file.
    Usually a group of instruments shares one xml file.
    You can find how they are assigned by looking at the 'master' xml file found in the Banks directory (standard or notation). "Personal Orchestra 5.bank.xml"
    This defines the instruments' names and points to the xml file used for each instrument, etc.

Then the xml for the instruments can be found within the 'GUI' folder.
    And the sfz for the instruments is within the 'instruments' folder.

It can all be read with a simple text editor like Notepad, in Windows.
    I use a free program called NotePad++ which formats the text to make it more legible.

N.B. You change them at your own peril. If you do, you MUST take backups before editing.

Having said all that, I have recently started to exchange posts with Chad who is trying to sort all this out.

A plan is slowly emerging in my mind, that tells me to restore the missing stereo stage wherever it's needed, first.
    Then to move on to inserting ADSR controls a group at a time.
    This 2nd is less straightforward, as one would have to move the other controls around to make room.
    One or two may have to go, or be replaced. But a potential, preliminary, new layout is sketched out mentally.

There are one or two where I need to see how the sfz code works and whether the action of one could replace the action of another, e.g. could the 'release' of the ADSR replace the 'length' control of the original?

Sfz code is very much less easy to 'get into', as it's all about sample playback, amplitude envelope generators, loop points, etc. I use the final chapter and the appendices of the book 'Cakewalk Sythesizers' 2nd edition as a reference, plus the code extensions available on the Plogue forum and information from Peter Jones' web site http://www.drealm.info/sfz/.

I'm not sure that helps much!
    Regards,
    John.

Hi Gary,

Here's a VERY brief insight to the kind of xml used/needed within the ARIA GPO5 files.

First the code that creates the original Mute button placed where the Stereo Stage control should be.
    It's a tiny subroutine that's 'called' from within the various brass xml files. Elsewhere probably too.
    The subroutine is called toggle_mute.xml

<GUI w="110" h="100">
    <StaticText x="28" y="0" w="75" h="18" text="MUTE" color_text="#FFFFFFFF" />
    <StaticText x="28" y="30" w="75" h="18" text="(CC71)" color_text="#CCCCCCFF" />
    <OnOffButton param="71" x="48" y="45" w="35" h="35" image="btn_power.png" />
    </GUI>

The code is telling ARIA that it's defining the GUI. Width and height.
    Then some text "MUTE", where to put it (X and Y locations), and the width and height of that text. Lastly the colour.
    Then the same with "(CC71)".
    Then it defines a button controlled by CC71. It's a graphic in ping format.
    The MIDI value of CC#71 will move this control.

Then my slight modification:

<GUI w="110" h="100">
    <StaticText x="28" y="0" w="75" h="18" text="Mute (CC71)" color_text="#CCCCCCFF" />
    <!-- <StaticText x="28" y="14" w="75" h="18" text="On | Off" color_text="#CCCCCCFF" /> -->
    <OnOffButton param="71" x="48" y="30" w="35" h="35" image="btn_power.png" />
    </GUI>

I changed the colour of the text to fit in with the instrument controls.
    You'll notice from the <!-- text --> that this is a remark. I changed my mind about having "On | Off" displayed.

The xml code which 'calls' this subroutine defines whereabouts this 110 x 100 'box' will be displayed.
    I had to move it from the left hand side to the right. In other words work out its exact X and Y positions.

Any use?
    John.

The upgrade offers gpo 5 and for a slight extra charge, a USB kit. What function does that serve, if it were not out of stock?

Richard

Go Back to forum