• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New ARIA controls for GPO5 SAM brass completed.

Share/Bookmark

New ARIA controls for GPO5 SAM brass completed.

Howdy all,

This morning I set to and recoded (minimally) the xml for the new SAM Brass instruments.

The ARIA new SAM brass interface (for the new instruments) now looks like this:

I wonder whether anyone would like to try it out before I release it?

There is one new tiny xml file called "toggle_mute_new.xml" which replaces toggle_mute.
    Two files have been changed "brass.xml" and brass_legato.xml.
    They all live in the GUI folder of your new GPO5.

This concerns those using GPO5 on a PC, I haven't got the relevant files for the Mac.

Any takers?
    Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Re: New ARIA controls for GPO5 SAM brass completed.

Any thoughts on the following for a completely new layout?
    Stereo Stage returned to its previous position for all instruments, but nudged slightly to the left making a little more room for ...
    three rows of five instrument controls.
    This would allow a complete new line of ADSR controls, plus Tone control and ...
    the restoration of the controls that used to be available in GPO4, as follows.

It's true that with five to a line they're a little closer together, but too close?
    Do we need to restore Var1 and Var2, etc.?
    Feedback welcomed.

I love the way it looks - excellent! Sadly I am totally deficient in such matters and wouldn't dare presume to understand how to incorporate it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I love the way it looks - excellent! Sadly I am totally deficient in such matters and wouldn't dare presume to understand how to incorporate it.

Tom
    Thanks for the feedback, Tom. So pleased you like it.

What I've done so far is just to create the look that I like.
    This just means altering the xml files that control, in this case, how some brass instruments appear.

What I need to do next is to alter the xml for all brass instruments.
    Then I have to go to each instruments sfz file and insert the extra code needed to make the buttons and knobs activate. I would have to release the altered xml and sfz files an instrument group at a time.

For the end user it would mean gradually replacing the xml files in the GUI folder, and the sfz files in the Instruments folder of GPO5. I'd try to keep the number of files changed at one time to the minimum.
    But I'd write a detailed "how to do it" text to go with each section.

Of course one would have to back up the original files so one could regress to the default GPO5 for support purposes.

Regards,
    John.

John, so let me see if I have this right: The SAM brass don't have stereo stage yet, but you can get it with a CC event? and you are working on (and may have succeed in) fixing that? I wondered why they sounded too up close and personal.

Also, so I need to reinstall GPO5 to remedy this problem? Jeez, you would think they would fix it themselves. Good thing we have you.

Hi Michael,

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    John, so let me see if I have this right: The SAM brass don't have stereo stage yet, but you can get it with a CC event? and you are working on (and may have succeed in) fixing that? I wondered why they sounded too up close and personal.

Also, so I need to reinstall GPO5 to remedy this problem? Jeez, you would think they would fix it themselves. Good thing we have you.
    Thank you Michael, let me try to clarify this for everyone.
    (So this refers to the first picture I posted.)
    There are two aspects to the ARIA instrument controls section.

The first is the xml files (the GUI folder contains most of them) that tell ARIA where to display pictures (e.g. Gary's hand conducting), where to display text, e.g. the words "Stereo Stage" and, most importantly, where knobs and switches are to be placed, and what controls their clockwise position or on and off status.
    These changes apply to the 'controls' section/tab.

Secondly, there are sfz files (mainly within the Instruments folder and its many sub folders) and they tell ARIA which sample to play back depending upon which MIDI note has been 'played', how to play it back, and define which MIDI controllers control what element of the sound (e.g. expression).

GPO5 release .01 added the Stereo Stage controls, that were completely missing in 5, to the sfz files.

So, from that release, if you had sent a MIDI cc#103 'on' message (value = 65 to 127) then the stereo stage would be switched on. If you then sent a CC#36 message with a value of 0 to 127, the depth of the instrument would be set.

However this setting isn't/wouldn't be visible on the ARIA controls window.
    So they work, but you can't see that they work.

What my modification to the xml files does is to place the Stereo Stage control back where it is for all the other legacy instruments from GPO4. So we can now see it.
    In doing that I would have overwritten the new MUTE control. So I moved that from left to right, putting it within the Instrument Controls group, bottom left.
    In summary, my modification allows the Stereo Stage controls to be seen again. The underlying work has already been completed (in GPO5.01) to make the controls function.

Again, this the first picture of the two, from above.

Finally, to make this work you must already have installed the GPO5.01 update.
    That gets the reworked (by Garritan) sfz files into your set up.
    There's no need to do it again.

There are three files involved in my GUI (xml) modification, one of which is completely new (toggle_mute_new.xml), the new look of the MUTE button and its surrounding text.
    The other two files "brass.xml" and "brass_legato.xml" are replacements for the original files of the same name.

The normal procedure is to rename the existing two files (e.g. brass.xml becomes brass.bak, and brass_legato.xml becomes brass_legato.bak), no need to move them, then copy the replacement files and the new file into the GUI folder once they have been downloaded. They're about 8 or 9kB each.

Thereafter, without even a reboot (and ARIA stand alone can be running at the same time) one can load a new SAM brass instrument, and BINGO!

Hopefully that clarifies the current situation and what needs to be done to get the controls restored.

Kind regards,
    John.

I tried adding stereo stage for the SAM 'bones using cc events. It appears to have worked. I used the same depth as for the regular trombones. They do sound better, they were way too out-front before. For the time being I'm just going to continue doing that, it seems easier than downloading GPO5 again. Thanks to Sysex John for all his hard work, Make Music should consider hiring him.

Michael,
    Good to know that you've found they're now working. We move forward a little.

No, you didn't read my post properly.
    You do NOT have to re download GPO5.01 again, just apply my three xml files.
    They're just a few kilobytes in size. The download would be seconds.
    They're in thorough Beta testing.

Anyway, after some E-Mail exchanges with the Garritan team, they've accepted the missing controls as a "software defect" and will apply the correction at the next release, I'm told. Another step forward.
    Hooray!

Regards,
    John.

"Anyway, after some E-Mail exchanges with the Garritan team, they've accepted the missing controls as a "software defect" and will apply the correction at the next release, I'm told. Another step forward.
    Hooray!"

Extremely well done. John. All of us less technically oriented salute and thank you for making a major effort to bring needed improvements to our software products.

Tom

Uh Oh, I think I'm confused again. I just re-read your post above, John, and it says that stereo stage for SAM brass inst's. was missing in GPO5, but they fixed it in .01, but they forgot to put the knobs on the Aria player. I have not done the update yet to .01, so presumably my use of cc events to add SS should not have worked. But it seemed like it did. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Anyway, it looks like, in order to fix this, I first must do the update, correct? Then I should at least be able use cc events, and if I want the actual controls, I can apply your XML fix. Do I have it right now?

Go Back to forum