• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Kontak vs. Giga efficiency

Share/Bookmark

Kontak vs. Giga efficiency

Hi all,
    Can someone explain the difference in efficiency between these two?
    In other words, which one allows the most voices for a given CPU? Which one allows the most loading of instruments given a certain amount of RAM?
    I remember Bruce Richardson commenting on this recently but can\'t find that thread.

Thanks,
    Anthony Lombardi

Re: Kontak vs. Giga efficiency

Originally posted by tonylombardi:
    Hi all,
    Can someone explain the difference in efficiency between these two?
    In other words, which one allows the most voices for a given CPU? Which one allows the most loading of instruments given a certain amount of RAM?
    I remember Bruce Richardson commenting on this recently but can\'t find that thread.

Thanks,
    Anthony Lombardi
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The thread with Bruces opinion is called \"Did u see the mini-review in keyboard?\" on Page 2 of the main sample forum .Basically he feels GS streams better than Kontakt. He`s probably right for live playing since GS is a dedicated program designed for that,which isnt to say that u counldn`t play a huge piano sample live with Kontakt standalone as people do it everyday. As a matter of fact theres another test called \"Grandioso Bösendorfer 290 24bit Plug-in\"on the main sample forum that Micheal Post has made with his Bosey comparing the KOmpakt plug,Kontakt, And Halion. 85 stereo voices with the Kompakt-plug!!! Thats not bad! I believe GS 160 voices are mono(i could be wrong). System specs and set ups are another factor. Kontakt needs more RAM than GS. So in that way GS is more efficiant.
    The debate continues..Rich

Boy, I have yet to max out either Kontakt OR GigaStudio. Both seem very effecient (in streaming, voices and RAM usage) and, if you\'re using that basis to make a decision on which to buy, then I think you\'re looking at the wrong thing.

Kontakt has so many features that go above and beyond the current version of GigaStudio that it\'s no contest.

As I believe Bruce -- or someone -- has said before, it\'s probably best to have both... and now that Tascam has cut the price of 160 in half...

I\'ve been getting double the voices in Kontakt than in GigaStudio 160 with the latest update. Another thing to consider is that you can run up to 16 instances of Kontakt which will give you 256 MIDI channels versus GigaStudio 160\'s 64 MIDI channels. Also, GigaStudio can only be installed on one machine. Kontakt 1.5 update you can install on 2 machines. There appears to be no limitations on the current version of Kontakt (1.2.1) on the amount of machines it\'s installed on.

I\'ve been using Kontakt on both of my machines lately and haven\'t fired up GigaStudio in about 3 months. Kontakt has been much more stable even when pushed to the max than Giga.

Originally posted by Ouch that hurts:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Also, GigaStudio can only be installed on one machine. Kontakt 1.5 update you can install on 2 machines.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Can you elaborate on this? Does the Kontakt license actually stipulate that you\'re allowed to install it on two machines for simultaneous use, as opposed to the usual one?

And does the same go for Kompakt?
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">NI, will issue you 2 authorization keys(for each Kontakt and Kompakt). If u need more(for more comps. or cause u changed Mother boards etc. u just email them explaining your situation and they`ll send u a new one. Its not like Giga were u have to get a lisence for each machine. I had a Registration mishap with Reaktor 4 and they were VERY fast and helpful..Rich

Wow that\'s cool.

And realistic, given the way people actually use their soft samplers.

Also, GigaStudio can only be installed on one machine. Kontakt 1.5 update you can install on 2 machines.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Can you elaborate on this? Does the Kontakt license actually stipulate that you\'re allowed to install it on two machines for simultaneous use, as opposed to the usual one?

And does the same go for Kompakt?

Kontakt has no key-switching.

Originally posted by esperlad:
    Kontakt has no key-switching.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Your joking right? Rich

Originally posted by Haydn:
    I\'ve been getting double the voices in Kontakt than in GigaStudio 160 with the latest update. Another thing to consider is that you can run up to 16 instances of Kontakt which will give you 256 MIDI channels versus GigaStudio 160\'s 64 MIDI channels. Also, GigaStudio can only be installed on one machine. Kontakt 1.5 update you can install on 2 machines. There appears to be no limitations on the current version of Kontakt (1.2.1) on the amount of machines it\'s installed on.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">you are working for emagic right?
    320 voices on one mac???
    gigastudio plays 160 on a fast machine with not much cpu load. but please compare the ram load 2.
    i found out that you can load in 1/4 of sounds into a vst sampler plug in because of the higher streaming latency. so, the maximium .gig s you can load in is somewere at 1088mb with a vst plug you would need about 4gb of ram to load play the same amount of ram.
    btw. voices are not much an issue for filmcomposer its more an issue to load big librarys in.

Go Back to forum