• Register
  • Help

Topic: How The Heck Did This Happen?

Share/Bookmark

How The Heck Did This Happen?

I'm completely stumped. I installed GPO5 on my new computer, which is the one I use for serious work. I use my old one for running demos and the like. So, on the old one I recently installed GPO4, so I could demo Sonar and Reaper. Fine. I have not used this computer since getting GPO5. Did not install GPO5 on it. Today I opened up a piece I was playing around with on Reaper, and, Behold, GPO5! The Aria is the new one. OK, it updated itself, right? That happens. But then I see that the GPO5 library is actually available, when I have not installed it on this computer, and when I load an instrument, it loads. I tested it with the Garritan Orchestral strings, which GPO4 does not have. And it loaded. how can this be? I do have the GPO5 download on an external drive that is connected, but that drive is turned off. Now, this is not a problem, just a puzzler. I'll try not to lose sleep over it, but it is really weird. This should not be possible. I'm hoping that SysEx John has an answer.

Re: How The Heck Did This Happen?

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    I'm completely stumped. I installed GPO5 on my new computer, which is the one I use for serious work. I use my old one for running demos and the like. So, on the old one I recently installed GPO4, so I could demo Sonar and Reaper. Fine. I have not used this computer since getting GPO5. Did not install GPO5 on it. Today I opened up a piece I was playing around with on Reaper, and, Behold, GPO5! The Aria is the new one. OK, it updated itself, right? That happens. But then I see that the GPO5 library is actually available, when I have not installed it on this computer, and when I load an instrument, it loads. I tested it with the Garritan Orchestral strings, which GPO4 does not have. And it loaded. how can this be? I do have the GPO5 download on an external drive that is connected, but that drive is turned off. Now, this is not a problem, just a puzzler. I'll try not to lose sleep over it, but it is really weird. This should not be possible. I'm hoping that SysEx John has an answer.
    Keep hoping Michael!
    No, I don't have an explanation, ... unless your machines are on a LAN and somehow file sharing.
    In my experience ARIA never updates itself.
    "It's a kinda magic ... maGIC!" Cue guitar riff.
    SXJ.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Very, very strange. At this point, I'm thinking Gremlins. Good ones mind you; after all, they installed GPO5 and not, say, the general midi set from my old sound card, which is sitting a few feet away on yet another computer. Hopefully they're done messing around. Then again, if I wake up one day and find that I have LA Scoring Strings installed on my computer, that would be ok...

Well, I found the samples on my E drive. Installed on 3/2. I guess I must have installed them on the old computer, as well as the new one. Ah, it's coming back to me now. I wanted to have the best GPO samples while demoing Reaper and Sonar. So, that solves it. Somehow Gremlins were more appealing than a major brain fart. Oh well. It can only get worse.

Addendum: In my defense, our technological lives are getting so complicated! Doing music on two computers, with two different DAWS, plus I use Linux in addition to Windows for non-music stuff, and so on. Easy to lose track of what you did 6 weeks ago!

Ha ha ha!

I did wonder about the words 'losing' and 'marbles'.

Having had a long career in the computer industry, where sometimes I was working on up to a dozen machines at a time, I found the only solution was to keep a little 'day book', where I would just make a brief note of what I'd done to which machine and when. When someone needed the loan of a 'set' for an on-site customer demo, I could take a quick look in the book and choose the right ones.

These days a week to a view diary does the job. Plus a large number of post-it notes.
    Much more in use in the last weeks since I started to modify GPO5 xml and sfz code.
    A quick note of which file and where I'd got to and what tutorials I was in the throes of writing.
    Then forget about it.
    As I approach 70 I find it even more necessary.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

By the way, Michael, I think I finally found a solution to your panning frustrations over the years. I think the answer you are looking for is Virtual Sound Stage 2.

Hey there, Mister Rodney. I've known about that program for awhile, and have been very tempted to get it. The thing I hesitate at, is that in order to get it to work right, you have to have an instance for every instrument. Which means you have to use a separate output for every instrument. Or, I suppose you could bounce the tracks to audio, but then you can no longer work on them as midi tracks. So I see it primarily as a mastering tool. But I need proper panning while I'm composing, arranging, mixing, because it affects the clarity of the mix, which affects the process of orchestration. I also like to keep things simple. So for now, I'm going to go with my new method of minimal panning. so far, it seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Hey there, Mister Rodney. I've known about that program for awhile, and have been very tempted to get it. The thing I hesitate at, is that in order to get it to work right, you have to have an instance for every instrument. Which means you have to use a separate output for every instrument. Or, I suppose you could bounce the tracks to audio, but then you can no longer work on them as midi tracks. So I see it primarily as a mastering tool. But I need proper panning while I'm composing, arranging, mixing, because it affects the clarity of the mix, which affects the process of orchestration. I also like to keep things simple. So for now, I'm going to go with my new method of minimal panning. so far, it seems to be working.
    I plan on getting it in the summer. I personally believe it is a must for anyone who uses dry samples such as VSL, Sample Modeling, and even Garritan. Here's some more information from my good friend Ben who is majoring in media music at UCLA:

It only opens one instance that you can spread among dozens of different outputs. For instance, I have positioned LASS Vlns 1 A, B and C, and Berlin Strings Vln 1 in the same location on the stage. Each one of those instruments has their own output, however, they are all linked in VSS through one instance. I'll send a pic a bit later. The program isn't very CPU heavy at all, and I have probably around two dozen different outputs routed through VSS. The only reason I can think of as to why you wouldn't like VSS would be due to a significant lack of CPU power and RAM which would cause you to have to bounce midi to audio. VSS is nothing more than an advanced panning plugin, essentially. A mastering tool it is not. That's a whole separate art form that is waaaaay over my head. Anyways, it doesn't effect the writing process at all.

I recently started tweaking in VSS again and switched from the "large hall" to a scoring stage with a shorter tail and it sounds soooo much better! It's awesome. The position of all my ensembles remained in the same place when I changed halls, too, which is great. Saved me from having to tediously reposition everything over again.

Thanks a bunch for that info, Rod. I think it's just a matter of time before I get it. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    I'm currently trying to decide whether to upgrade Sonar, or stick with what I know, which has a work flow I'm very comfortable with. I've been demo-ing the new Sonar, and it really isn't radically different. mostly it's the structure that has changed. I would be able to do everything I do now, and probably with as fast a work flow, once I got it down. Plus, I'd have greater stability and maybe even better sound.
    I've also been demo-ing Reaper. They will be releasing their first version with notation soon. I've been following the dialogue on their forum, and it looks like it will be quite superior to Sonar's. So that is another reason I'm hesitating. For 60.00, I could have a new, updated DAW with notation, with none of that irritating payment plan thing Sonar now has. You basically have to buy Sonar once a year, every year, to keep it up to date, and qualify for support. I've just never been able to warm up to that.
    So many decisions! Not a good thing for someone who likes to keep things simple.
    Good to hear from you!

My pleasure, my friend! Good to be heard. Btw... Cubase...cough....Cubase...

Go Back to forum