• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Dynamics

I am working on a piece of music using GPO5 strings and, perhaps later, expanding it to full orchestra. One small section at a tempo of 40 has a series of whole notes (5 of them). I wanted to start each note very very softly, have it swell in dynamics and then get soft again (say pp-f-pp) and when I first entered the music in Finale 2014 it did exactly what I wanted.

Today I opened the file to work on it and the dynamics no longer work. However, the dynamics are working on all other areas of the music, just not on the 5 whole notes described above - literally as if they were never entered. I deleted all dynamics for the 5 whole notes, and re-entered them. They still refuse to respond. I had earlier used full organ as an instrument and then changed the orchestration to strings. The dynamics originally still worked after that. I returned to the organ instrumentation thinking that would recover them. No luck - all dynamics work except with those 5 whole notes.

Any idea what is happening here?

Tom

Re: Dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I am working on a piece of music using GPO5 strings and, perhaps later, expanding it to full orchestra. One small section at a tempo of 40 has a series of whole notes (5 of them). I wanted to start each note very very softly, have it swell in dynamics and then get soft again (say pp-f-pp) and when I first entered the music in Finale 2014 it did exactly what I wanted.

Today I opened the file to work on it and the dynamics no longer work. However, the dynamics are working on all other areas of the music, just not on the 5 whole notes described above - literally as if they were never entered. I deleted all dynamics for the 5 whole notes, and re-entered them. They still refuse to respond. I had earlier used full organ as an instrument and then changed the orchestration to strings. The dynamics originally still worked after that. I returned to the organ instrumentation thinking that would recover them. No luck - all dynamics work except with those 5 whole notes.

Any idea what is happening here?

Tom
    Hey Tom!

Any way you could post the Finale file? I can see if it does the same thing for me. I'll be out of town until tomorrow night so I won't have a chance to look at it until then, but I will see if there's something I can do on my end.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

I tried doing the same as you showed in your question in Finale 2014 with GPO5 strings and found no problems. I am not sure which of the GPO5 strings you used but I tried it on the standard string sections un 08 Section Strings for notation and I tried it with 10 Garritan Orchestral Strings, 08 KS Groups. I only used the notation strings. I did not try it with the standard keyswitch strings because those will not work correctly with Finale (the keyswitches will be wrong).

But both sets of instruments I used work very well and the dynamics were correct. It puzzles me that you are having those problems. I will be curious to learn what the problem is.

Good Luck
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I tried doing the same as you showed in your question in Finale 2014 with GPO5 strings and found no problems. I am not sure which of the GPO5 strings you used but I tried it on the standard string sections un 08 Section Strings for notation and I tried it with 10 Garritan Orchestral Strings, 08 KS Groups. I only used the notation strings. I did not try it with the standard keyswitch strings because those will not work correctly with Finale (the keyswitches will be wrong).

But both sets of instruments I used work very well and the dynamics were correct. It puzzles me that you are having those problems. I will be curious to learn what the problem is.

Good Luck
    Thank you, Rich. This evening I am going to re-enter the selection in a new project to see what happens.

Tom

Go Back to forum