• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO5 Articulaton Tool

Share/Bookmark

GPO5 Articulaton Tool

I wrote a violin line in Finale 2014 and assigned GPO5 Orchestral Strings violins long bows. I added dynamics and all went well. I added articulation Tr for trill and nothing happens; plus the dynamics stopped working. Any ideas?

Tom

Re: GPO5 Articulaton Tool

Hi Tom,

I don't know if you got the problem solved or not but I just tried to duplicate a short section of music using the Garritan strings with long bows. I tried all the trill markings in 2014. The ones in the slurring-crescendo section are the first ones I tried (the TR and the squiggly line one [don't know what it is named]) and the one in the articulation menu (TR). None of the trills worked as I suspected but they did not mess up my dynamics. Those stayed in my piece even though I experimented with the trill markings.

As for the Trills, I believe the long bow strings are just that i.e. a single set of samples for long bows and nothing else. I know Human Playback should do the trills in the one menu but I can't answer as to why it doesn't work. However, nothing affected my dynamics of the parts.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

First off, if you're using GPO5 with Finale, make sure you've downloaded and installed the updated Human Playback preference file from MM's website. As to trills (and tremolos) there are none in GPO5. (They were sampled and included in GPO4 as you know) But, to get them to work with GPO5, you'll need to go into the human playback preferences and create a trill and tremolo technique. But, instead of using a sampled trill, you'll have to choose a triggered trill. When Finale sees a triggered trill, human playback will create the trill by alternating between two notes during playback.

make sure you've downloaded and installed the updated Human Playback preference file from MM's website
    Jeff, is that update for Human Playback preference file included with the install of GPO5 or 5.1 or the updates to the ARIA engine? If it is not part of the install, where on MM do you get that information and update? Thanks Jeff and sorry for butting in on your comment thread Tom.

Rich

I found the file you were talking about Jeff. It really is NOT obvious and if I didn't know I had to update HP from the conversation in this thread, I would NOT have been able to find the update. IT IS NOT OBVIOUS! Makemusic should be ashamed of themselves yet again!

I am not sure this will solve Tom's problem as I haven't tested it yet. But I will and I will report back to this thread.

Rich

Unless I have missed something (which is always a possibility), the Garritan Orchestral Strings in GPO5 do not do trills in Finale. I have tried all the GPO5 strings in a test piece and the GPO5 strings both solo and section do trill. The long bows in the Garritan Orchestral Strings do not make trills by using HP or Finale markings. There maybe key switches that will have them to a sampled trill but I have not looked into that since that wasn't part of the question. Key switching is a little difficult if HP hasn't incorporated them into the playback system.

Rich

Hi All,

I'm on F2012c but I've done some checking and I think I can see the problem.

Jeff's suggestion is correct as far as it goes but you don't get to "choose" triggered trills (at least not in F2012) - HP will create trills automatically if it doesn't see a preferred option, but that's where the problem arises. In setting up the original HP preferences for GPO4, MM (bless 'em) managed to "convince" HP that all of the GPO string patches (not just the KS patches) were capable of sampled trills! The result is that a trill on any GPO string patch will cause HP to issue a sampled trill keyswitch and to suppress its "natural instinct" to create a trill.

Frankly, the default HP preferences weren't that "tight" to start with and the additions they've made for GPO5, from what I've seen in the XML file, are just more accidents waiting to happen! Since proper integration can be considered as a "work in progress", I've tested a short term kludge that certainly works this end. It goes as follows:

1. Bring up the Human Playback Preference dialog (Midi/Audio: Human Playback: Human Playback Preferences ...);
    2. Use the "Duplicate" button to create a copy of your current preferences and rename it to taste;
    3. Select the "Instrument Techniques" tab;
    4. Select and open the "Garritan Strings" folder;
    5. Select each of the trill techniques in turn (1/2 tone and whole tone) and ensure that the checkbox labelled "Use this Technique" is unchecked;
    6. Remember to "Save and Close" the dialog!

In addition to the above, you may also want to adjust the minimum trill speed, which can be found in the Preferences dialog on the "Ornaments and Tremolos" tab but that's obviously a trial and error exercise. Step 2, above, should ensure that you can fall back quickly to the original defaults if and when you're using (only) GPO standard KS strings.

As to the rest of the GPO5/HP integration, I'm still assessing what can be added "comfortably" to the defaults without affecting the pre-existing settings adversely - but I'm not holding my breath! Perhaps we'll see more of the new techniques supported in the next edition of Finale?

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Keith
    "A musicologist is a man who can read music but cannot hear it!" (Sir Thomas Beecham)

Go Back to forum