• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Journey Symphony - A Journey with Cancer

Share/Bookmark

The Journey Symphony - A Journey with Cancer

I have something very special to post, at least to me. This is The Journey Symphony. I wrote this last year and it was intended to be the second movement of three movements. But after listening to it and working on it over the past couple of months, it made more sense for it to be a single movement. The Journey Symphony is dedicated to those who have been challenged with cancer (such as myself) and have met the challenge, and to those who have passed on. I especially want to dedicate this to my sister-in-law Jill, who passed away suddenly last December.

I made use of some of the EastWest libraries and GPO5. This is rendered in Finale 2014.5 and uploaded to Landr for final rendering. It's far from a perfect rendering, but I hope you all get the gist of what I'm trying to convey. May this bring peace, hope and a feeling of serenity.

https://soundcloud.com/serenity-musi...ey-with-cancer
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: The Journey Symphony - A Journey with Cancer

Gary,

Stunning in concept and presentation. Congratulations for a work from the soul.

Tom

Well, it is special. Emotions, like dread, sadness, hope and triumph, just to mention a few of them which crosses my mind as a listen the first time. I'll listen again and again.
    Yes, it could sound better with more work on rendering, but it is so good, that as it is now it conveys what you created it for.
    I am touched,

Ted

Listening now. I am picking up some Copland-like feeling, beginning around 2:30. Both in the harmonic flow and in the woodwind writing. Very nice. And now the strings coming in around 4:00 also remind me of Copland. (I mean this as a compliment, he's one of my favorite composers).

This must have been very intense to write, considering the genesis of how it came to be. It is a triumph, both musically and spiritually. It brought tears to my eyes. There is pain, but never without the beauty of the human spirit striving to be, to exist, and to create. And in creating, transcending. Than you for this extremely beautiful and moving music. It's one of the best things I have heard here. I hope your journey continues for many, many years.

This has been my first chance to thank you all for your kind words. It's been a really busy day at work. Suffice it to say, I haven't had much time to work on what I love to do: write music.

To Tom, thank you so much for your kind words. I don't think I've ever heard the word "stunning" used before to describe music I've written. I'm extremely honored, Tom.

To Ted, thank you as well for your kind words. Yes, there are a lot of emotions drawn from how I felt over those years and the pain of losing my sister-in-law. That was hard. I'm so grateful my wife Karen and I were able to visit with her last year for the first time in many years. Thank you for wanting to listen to it "again and again."

To Michael, I take your comment about "Copland-like feeling" as a wonderful compliment. I worshiped this man for many years and studied so many of his works. I always wished I could have met him back in the 70's-80's. I loved the words you used to describe this piece. Believe me when I tell you, there are times when I've listened to this when tears have flowed, too. Thank you so much, Michael.

Now my goal for this piece is to begin editing the score tomorrow and see if I can find a local orchestra in the Milwaukee area to perform it.

Thanks so much, guys. I really appreciate your input.

Gary

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Gary,

How do you approach an orchestra to see if it is willing to perform one of your compositions?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Gary,

How do you approach an orchestra to see if it is willing to perform one of your compositions?

Tom
    That's a real good question, Tom. A few years ago when I worked on a transcription of an orchestral piece for wind ensemble, I contacted the director of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee bands. He was gracious enough to allow me to spend about 15-20 minutes with his wind ensemble having them read the score (and what a thrill it was directing that group!). I'm considering doing the same thing for this piece. I did just send out messages to two local orchestras, the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and the Festival City Orchestra, so we'll see. There is one site that occasionally asks for scores to be read. There are lots of opportunities here. Here's the site:

http://www.composerssite.com/

If I find anything else of interest I'll let you know. Maybe someone else will jump in here with suggestions. Thanks for asking, Tom.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    That's a real good question, Tom. A few years ago when I worked on a transcription of an orchestral piece for wind ensemble, I contacted the director of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee bands. He was gracious enough to allow me to spend about 15-20 minutes with his wind ensemble having them read the score (and what a thrill it was directing that group!). I'm considering doing the same thing for this piece. I did just send out messages to two local orchestras, the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and the Festival City Orchestra, so we'll see. There is one site that occasionally asks for scores to be read. There are lots of opportunities here. Here's the site:

http://www.composerssite.com/

If I find anything else of interest I'll let you know. Maybe someone else will jump in here with suggestions. Thanks for asking, Tom.

Gary
    Thank you, Gary.

On occasion I have been approached by groups that have heard or heard of a particular piece and have requested permission to perform it. (people usually find me fainted at my desk when that happens) A few years ago I approached the Seattle Symphony and was told that the conductor or his assistant to read through the score for a few hundred dollars. Performance was not presented as an option.

The film and video scores (so far the most lucrative efforts - they're paid for in advance) get heard by either live performance recordings or by the sampled recordings that I prepare.

I will follow your lead and see if perhaps I can get a few things performed.

Tom

Gary,

This is so beautiful. Words can hurt, lie, be sarcastic, hypocrite... Notes never can. They always speak from the heart and convey the deepest feelings in the most honest way. That is exactly what you have realised here. The title is a bit frightening, but the music reassures immediately, from the first few sounds. Without the background information you provided us with, the piece would be great as well, purely musically. Therefore, although it might sound inappropriate, it dare say that I really enjoyed the orchestral work. It spoke to my heart and mind, touched, comforted and reassured.
    The final but very strong end expresses the light of hope, of belief, of strength.

Congratulations, a fantastic work!
    Max

Gary,

Thank you so much for this.
    It's not true that notes can't hurt.
    They can, and desperately intensely too.
    Or, at least, the feelings created by those notes.
    I've been trying to listen to it in its entirety a few times, but not succeeded.
    The emotions over a dear departed one, who lost the battle, have been too overpowering.

But now I have managed to listen right through, and have deeply appreciated the sentiments expressed within your Journey Symphony. Others have expressed themselves far more eloquently than I could, especially at this moment.

I shall return and listen again, if I may, and remember.
    Kindest regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast