• Register
  • Help

Topic: 3 Contradansen (Ghent - 1756)

Share/Bookmark

3 Contradansen (Ghent - 1756)

Dear friends,

Finally I've returned to my old love: the dance music from the 17th and 18th century. In all European archives there's an enormous amount of dances and airs from that period to be disclosed and discovered. Most of the composers were musicians playing dance music to earn a little extra. They knew the taste and favourites of their public and created constantly newer versions. So did Mozart. Mind that these dances were actually not meant for the common people. They aimed at the nobility and wealthy middle class.

These 3 dances have been found in the Ghent university archives. They only provide a melody line. Most players were familiar enough with the practical harmony and dancing performing practice to improvise 3 or 4 other voices. In this case, I had to do the arranging in a classical way. I followed the Mozart instructions, not to use the violas. ("Too much harmony distracts from the dancing...")

(All VSL instruments)

I hope you enjoy them!

3 Contradansen (Ghent - Flanders - 1756)

Max

Re: 3 Contradansen (Ghent - 1756)

Max, you have achieved amazing sound here, the result of wonderful part writing coupled to complete mastery of the technology. most listeners would not suspect this is a midi performance. Wonderful!

The only VSL I have is Special Edition 1. My guess is you have gone beyond that and are using much more sophisticated software. In any case, the result is truly magnificent.

You did not mention the original composer, so I assume it's anonymous. Correct?

I am following what arrangements and compositions you posted here during the past years.I hear a steady advancement of your use of whatever sounds you are using.
    This "3 Contradansen" are truly amazing. This is the only description fits. Amazing.
    Of course, it is not only the VSL instruments.( I heard very poor sounding compositions with VSL) It is your increasing mastery of what you are doing what makes it so wonderfully great sounding, and these now just the culmination of approaching reality.
    Thanks for posting and thanks for reassuring us that we can hope to keep enjoying your company and artistry.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Max, you have achieved amazing sound here, the result of wonderful part writing coupled to complete mastery of the technology. most listeners would not suspect this is a midi performance. Wonderful!

The only VSL I have is Special Edition 1. My guess is you have gone beyond that and are using much more sophisticated software. In any case, the result is truly magnificent.

You did not mention the original composer, so I assume it's anonymous. Correct?
    Sorry, I forgot to mention the source. These dances were taken from a bundle called "Cent Contredanses en Rond" (100 contradances in circle) by Robert D'Aubat. This musician was a violin player and dance master in Ghent. He might have been the composer, but more likely he was responsible for collecting a number of well known dances drom that era. He was a composer (motets and choir pieces, music for stage plays...), but he gathered quite some popular tunes as well to publish them. (There was no author's rights at that time.)

The software I used was the Dimension Strings, the SE clarinets, an alto recorder and the full flute. I used 8 separate violins, divided at random in second and first violins. They were humanised a bit to make it more realistic. Next to that there was the Hybrid reverb unit to build the depth and the ambience.

Thanks for your kind comment.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I am following what arrangements and compositions you posted here during the past years.I hear a steady advancement of your use of whatever sounds you are using.
    This "3 Contradansen" are truly amazing. This is the only description fits. Amazing.
    Of course, it is not only the VSL instruments.( I heard very poor sounding compositions with VSL) It is your increasing mastery of what you are doing what makes it so wonderfully great sounding, and these now just the culmination of approaching reality.
    Thanks for posting and thanks for reassuring us that we can hope to keep enjoying your company and artistry.

Ted
    Thanks my dear friend in music. Let's continu speaking the same language.
    Max

Hallo Max - good morning,

until now I hadn't time to listen to your Contradansen. They are marvellous and the use of the VSL instruments is outstanding. Normally I am contra dancing, but these pieces invite me to lift the feet and dance around the living room (haha).

Raymond

Excellent balance and tonality; the music itself a total delight. When I hear something this excellent, invigorating and pleasing I simply want to hear it again and again. Deep in my mind I am asking how can any composer be as diversified and competent as you and not have album collections on the charts?

Thank you so very much for sharing your work.

Tom

Thank you Raymond and Tom.
    It was my main occupation for many years to retrieve, select and arrange these dances and airs. It's the kind of music (little light music) that couldn't escape from oblivion. In so many archives thousand of such pieces are resting and dusting, waiting for som possessed fool like myself to bring them into broad daylight again.

I'm so glad you liked the dances and the arrangement.

Because I constantly want to improve the sound of the instruments, I've made a brand new version of a fragment (the third dance) with a completely new technique: multiplying one solo violin into for separate violins (with transpose in one direction and pitchbend in the opposite direction). That way it is possible to use different samples from one single instrument to play the same tune without getting into phasing.

Dance 3-experiment

A very different sound (4 solo violins) in one ensemble, all separately playing.
    Max

Go Back to forum