• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sticking Notes With GPO5 on Reaper

Share/Bookmark

Sticking Notes With GPO5 on Reaper

Anybody have any idea why GPO5 would cause sticking notes in Reaper? No other synths are causing this problem. I have not gotten a response on the Reaper forum, which may mean it's a rare problem. It happens when I try to do midi editing, such as changing velocities or volumes. Thanks, Michael

Re: Sticking Notes With GPO5 on Reaper

I have discovered the problem is legato. For some reason , in Reaper, Aria instruments need to be set to "auto-legato." At least that's what is going with me; others may not have this problem. Easy to fix. but it means no duets on those instruments.

BTW, I am transitioning from Sonar to Reaper. Really excited about it. Reaper now has notation! Still working out the details, but you can do things like fermatas, trill marks, etc. Which Sonar does not have (at least not 8.5). Doesn't look as pretty as sonar, but again, they just created it this year, and I know it will improve.

Hi Michael,

The problem with the 'standard' version of instruments in GPO4 or 5, is that they use CC#64 for legato.

This is done for the convenience of instrument players who, if they have a foot switch at all, will have the piano 'loud' (sustain) pedal assigned to CC#64. So physically playing GPO5 via keyboard is straightforward. The same is true for the Mod Wheel (CC#1), which is more commonly assigned to modulating vibrato.

But actually the legato control in MIDI is not CC#64 (which is 'Hold'), it's CC#68, and this is the control that Finale and Sibelius and most programs use. Hence the 'notation' version of GPO4/5 which do use CC#68 rather than cc#64.
    And CC#11 (expression) or CC#2 (Breath) should ideally be substituted for CC#1.

Actually CC#64 is named 'Hold 1' in the MIDI specification, so "hold" is what you are getting, or "stuck notes" if you prefer.

The solution is to use the notation version of the instruments of GPO5 in Reaper, and use cc#68 for legato instead of CC#64.

Tsk! Easy. ;-)

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

@ Michael.

Also consider that in Reaper you can route notes to different MIDI channels within a track.

1. Insert new track or Insert virtual instrument on new track
    2. Load an instance of Aria player into it
    3. Load Player1 of chosen instrument into slot 1 (default receiving channel: 1)
    4. Load Player2 of chosen instrument into slot 2 (default receiving channel: 2)
    5. Insert a new MIDI item and write a two voice note sequence in MIDI Editor
    6. Select lower notes, right click on selection, choose Note channel from the drop-down menu and set them to "2"

This way your duets will be actually played by two different (virtual) players, with AutoLegato always on, or switched on and off by appropriate CC, indipendently.

Find here a tiny Reaper project I made for you. Oboe1 without AutoLegato, Oboe2 with AutoLegato (notes are overlapping to achieve legato —note velocities are raw, so you must adjust it to properly hear it happen).

Best regards
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thank you Fabio very much for taking the time to create your example. Very kind of you. I can't see it now as I am on Ubuntu will check it out later when I'm on my Windows computer.

Michael

John: thanks for your feedback. It has helped to some extent, but I still have a problem. Here's what I've done:

Updated Aria player/engine to latest version. When I enable auto-legato now, the notes of the clarinet (which is what I'm using to work this out) all play correctly, no sticking notes. But the last note keeps holding forever. With auto-legato disabled, all the notes stick. I've experimented with standard and notation clarinets, and combinations of various CC events, like 64, 68 and 102. Nothing works, that last note just keeps going, like the Voyager spacecraft heading toward the Orion Nebula (little joke there). Do you have any more tricks up your sleeve? Because this really has me stuck. not only can I not work on my piece, I can't move forward learning Reaper. I know it has to be solvable, but it sure has me stumped.

Michael

You're welcome, Michael.
    Obviously, the two-players-in-one-instance-per-track technique
    i aimed to allow both lines played legato, I mean polyphony under AutoLegato on.
    Let us know if it works.

PS. I read at Reaper Forums that note-off messages are an issue here and there…
    Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    You're welcome, Michael.
    Obviously, the two-players-in-one-instance-per-track technique
    i aimed to allow both lines played legato, I mean polyphony under AutoLegato on.
    Let us know if it works.

PS. I read at Reaper Forums that note-off messages are an issue here and there…
    Hi Fabio. Yes, I have done some searching and sticking notes can be a problem in Reaper. My only issue with them is with GPO. For now, I'm accessing GPO sounds with the Dimension Pro synth, which has Garritan Pocket Orch, as well as woodwinds "in the venue," which are also Garritan, but enhanced nicely. On your example, you don't have a track for the oboes, just the Aria Player. Do you have an Aria for each instrument? I like to load up 2 or 3 Arias, it keeps down the number of synths and is less CPU-intensive.

I just learned something that may be of importance. My GPO instruments work fine in Reaper until I make a change in the event list, like switch CC7 to CC1, or adjust some velocities. After that, the sticking notes are out in full force. I think I'll get it sorted out eventually, but thankfully I have the other option of using the Dim Pro. but my GPO5 is going to waste in the meantime...

you don't have a track for the oboes, just the Aria Player. Do you have an Aria for each instrument?
    Sorry for this; maybe something gone wrong at "Save as…" level.
    No, it's just one Aria per-track with two instruments in it, one on channel 1 and one on channel 2.
    Fabio

Fabio

Go Back to forum