• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Dance"

Share/Bookmark

"Dance"

I first posted this here on the forum nine years ago.

This is my "Dance" featuring the unlikely pairing of a flute and a tuba and no other instrument. This is a rather difficult compositional proposition because of the big differences in the timbres, ranges, performance methods of the two instruments and the amount of lung power required, especially for the tuba.

Regards,

Larry Alexander

Re: "Dance"

It can occur only to you to write a piece for flute and tuba.
    I liked it, and would pay to see/hear it in actual performance, I think the tuba player would be to watch...
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    It can occur only to you to write a piece for flute and tuba.
    I liked it, and would pay to see/hear it in actual performance, I think the tuba player would be to watch...
    Ted
    I will play the flute and you can play the tuba and we will present our own performance.

As always, thanks for your comments, Mister Ted.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Hi Larry,

Once more, a surprise. Truly a odd selection of instruments;but remarkably enough it works! Being a flute player, I would give it a try but only if you'd perform the tuba part. Ted can be our audience and providing the first aid kit if necessary... (LOL).
    From the compositional point of view I like the piece a lot. From the performance side I have little doubts for the tuba and the overall balance. Of course everything is playable as long as it is within the instrument's range, but that is the theory. In the virtual world, there are almost no limitations and that is what it is all about here, isn't it?

So a funny, loverly composition. The first two bars are totally similar to a Flemish folksong called "Pierlala". It was a mocking song about the French Revolution and the consequences for our region around 1789. I made an arrangement for chamber orchestra years ago. Maybe I should do a sampled version once...

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Larry,

Once more, a surprise. Truly a odd selection of instruments;but remarkably enough it works! Being a flute player, I would give it a try but only if you'd perform the tuba part. Ted can be our audience and providing the first aid kit if necessary... (LOL).
    From the compositional point of view I like the piece a lot. From the performance side I have little doubts for the tuba and the overall balance. Of course everything is playable as long as it is within the instrument's range, but that is the theory. In the virtual world, there are almost no limitations and that is what it is all about here, isn't it?

So a funny, loverly composition. The first two bars are totally similar to a Flemish folksong called "Pierlala". It was a mocking song about the French Revolution and the consequences for our region around 1789. I made an arrangement for chamber orchestra years ago. Maybe I should do a sampled version once...

Max
    I have never heard the Flemish folksong to which you referred. Any resemblance of my "Dance" to it is strictly coincidental.

If I played the tuba part I would last about four measures...at my age. Just thinking about performing it makes my lungs hurt. I get out of breath just brushing my tooth.

Thanks for listening and commenting, my friend.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Go Back to forum