• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chopin Op 14

Share/Bookmark

Chopin Op 14

We just had a Sopin thread, and I was listening to one of my favored Rondo Krakowskia, Chopin, Op 14. Just to see what it would sound like it in GPO5, I entered the first 39 bars. I did only a little normalization, added some reverb and EQ.( Turn down your volume, a little to loud..)
    To me it proves that nothing is wrong with GPO5, what is wrong is ME, that is why I can not produce this kind of beauty...

Ted

https://app.box.com/s/x14vwuyahuxorbammbh9r0hv09fg30ig

Re: Chopin Op 14

Hi Ted,

Nice version, but I agree with Richard. Chopin is the piano. Better leave it as it is. The orchestration is already in the piano score.

All the best,
    Max

It's interesting (funny?) how different The Daemon shapes himself:
    Chopin's music is bound to work on the piano, while almost every piece
    by J.S. Bach can be performed from kazoos to majestic cathedral organs…
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks Max, only you and Fabio replied, who is Richard and what did he say?
    I left it in piano, it sounds a like piano, I followed the official score, and was surprised that it sounded believable.
    Ted

Thanks Fabio.
    Bach did not have a piano, he had an organ, a choir and a little orchestra, To me, he sounds best with his home instrument the organ. Chopin had a lot of competition in playing the piano, using polish folk-melodies was a new trend, and he did very well with the orchestration ( in my opinion at least, but I am crazy about him).
    So, yes, he is PIANO, and blessed we are that he was.

Ted

[QUOTE=tedvanya;806912 . . . who is Richard and what did he say?

Ted[/QUOTE]

Well, my opinion is that Chopin's piano music was written for and exploits the piano. It does not translate well to other instruments. Bach can be played on any instrument with the appropriate range, but Chopin's music demands the piano.

Richard

Op 14 was written by Chopin for piano AND orchestra.

Hmm, we seem to have a Chopin brouhaha brewing here. After listening to this, Ted, I'm more convinced than ever that great music can translate to just about any medium, at least when done by the hand of a master. Which you are. It was beautiful. I really love Chopin's orchestral music, on those rare occasions when I hear it. I have one in mind in particular but I can't remember the title. I'll try to get back to you on that.

Thanks Michael. I still do not understand the "brouhaha", or my ears are totally gone! To my ear it is clear that there is a piano playing, and also an orchestra. Why people are talking about that Chopin not translating to anything else but piano? Am I deaf? Seriously. Please let me know what you hear in this unfortunate effort of mine. I simply wanted to hear it with GPO5, downloaded the score and followed the score. If my ears are off this much, than I am torturing you guys.
    I love Chopin's 1st Piano Concerto, available on the Youtube with Long Long. Try it when you have the time.

Ted

I think the piece I mentioned was Les Sylphides. I would hum a few bars but...

No Ted, your piece worked very well indeed. And the fact that Chopin orchestrated his own works (at least I think he did) should put to rest the notion that piano music can only be piano music. when people are creative enough, anything can happen. Your piece was beautifully balanced, with the orchestration providing a restful background for the piano. The soft sounds of GPO contrasted perfectly with the percussive sounds of the piano.

Go Back to forum