• Register
  • Help

Topic: Starlight on a Frozen Lake

Share/Bookmark

Starlight on a Frozen Lake

Last winter with temperature around 5 below zero, I found myself sitting along the bank of Elm Lake. There was no wind. In the near total silence I could see a cosmos of stars reflected on the frozen lake: Caught between the stars above and the stars below.

All GPO5.

https://app.box.com/s/57vp8lmulowpwe4ajxwf8esxlcptbt7k

Tom

Re: Starlight on a Frozen Lake

I enjoyed your Starlight. It does immerses one in the mood inspired you to create this.
    GPO5 sound good, I did not even tried yet the soprano solo you use, it sounds great.
    Thanks for posting it, I will listen again..

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I enjoyed your Starlight. It does immerses one in the mood inspired you to create this.
    GPO5 sound good, I did not even tried yet the soprano solo you use, it sounds great.
    Thanks for posting it, I will listen again..

Ted
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ted. The instrumentation was Solo Soprano on the vowel tone Ahh, Alto, Tenor and Base sections on the vowel Ohh. Strings were Solo Violin with vibrato, Violin I, Viola, Cello I and Cello II.

Tom

Hi Tom,

While I'm enjoying your silent 'frozen' work, we are in the midst of a summer thunderstorm adding some scary percussive elements to your dreamy piece. Wonderful music indeed!

Just like Ted, I like the voices used (their quality but also their part they're singing). Well done.

It is so fine to be able to enjoy music from the other side of the world just like that (as if we were neighbours...).

Thanks for sharing,
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Tom,

While I'm enjoying your silent 'frozen' work, we are in the midst of a summer thunderstorm adding some scary percussive elements to your dreamy piece. Wonderful music indeed!

Just like Ted, I like the voices used (their quality but also their part they're singing). Well done.

It is so fine to be able to enjoy music from the other side of the world just like that (as if we were neighbours...).

Thanks for sharing,
    Max
    Thank you, Max. I believe strongly that instruments and voices should always be used within their normal parameters. When I write for 4 piece choir like this one I go back to be sure that each voice is singable and carries its own musical weight. (just in case someone really wants to perform it)

As to weather, we just survived a week long series of thunder and lightning storms here with high winds and neighbors' lawn chairs flying by. All in all, it was kind of fun.

Tom

Enjoyed this very much, Tom. I imagined the voices belonging to a group of Native Americans, telling a story about how the stars came to be, or some such theme from their mythology. Would work very well in performance, hope you get one! I especially thought the counterpoint was very good. There can be great beauty in the deep of Winter. That's when the stars are at their best. Always worth it to seek such beauty, no matter the temperature!

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Enjoyed this very much, Tom. I imagined the voices belonging to a group of Native Americans, telling a story about how the stars came to be, or some such theme from their mythology. Would work very well in performance, hope you get one! I especially thought the counterpoint was very good. There can be great beauty in the deep of Winter. That's when the stars are at their best. Always worth it to seek such beauty, no matter the temperature!
    Sooth, Michael. As a child I discovered a hill top near our home to be a wonderful place from which to watch the night sky. I crossed freely from one key center to another with modal intent. (even threw in a couple of jazz progressions) I wanted to create a wide range of possible interpretations. While I had not thought about a Native American thread, your thought about them is quite interesting.

Now that I live in North Dakota it is easy to find very dark, very isolated places for inspiration. Again, from my earliest childhood, I lean a little more toward nature than people. (Don't tell my puppy about that - she thinks she is a people.

Tom

Go Back to forum