• Register
  • Help

Topic: Game Music: The Future For Stars?

Share/Bookmark

Game Music: The Future For Stars?

A while ago I saw something on TV or in a mag and it went something like this:

In the future famous rock and pop stars with declining careers (the end of music business as we know it) will more and more concentrate on doing music for games which will secure their income. Afterall, games are cool and popular and unlike CDs, they will become even more cool and popular. That way every kid hears the music. It\'s the perfect business marriage. It\'s the perfect indoctrination. Therefore it will be difficult, almost impossible, for unknown names to get in or to maintain their job security in the game industry. And to be honest, I would definitely choose Bowie over Cremers.
    So to everybody with game music aspirations, enjoy the ride while it lasts!

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: Game Music: The Future For Stars?

Eh - of course there are certain genres that these \"stars\" might be able to excel in, but I wouldn\'t worry too much.
    They are just a drop in the ocean...

I don\'t see it working that way for orchestral music. Bowie isn\'t going to write a John Williamsesqu score no matter how big his name.

It\'s like the movies. Many big name stars will contribute to certain projects because it helps them get their music heard. But it isn\'t for every movie. And not every movie will only hire big names. Some use lesser known names because its more cost effective and \'good enough\'.

Games will be the same. There will be ways to break into the game industry just like there are ways to break into the movie industry. It may be very hard. But still doable.

Another advantage that games should always have (well, one can never say \'always\') is that a group of friends with their computers can get together, start up a new company and make a hit game. That\'s pretty tough to do in the movie industry. So if you\'re the musician of those group of friends it can be your big break.

Originally posted by zquarles:
    Eh - of course there are certain genres that these \"stars\" might be able to excel in, but I wouldn\'t worry too much.
    They are just a drop in the ocean...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s the whole point. Think ten years from now. Excelling in game scoring will not mean a thing in the future. It\'s about doing it. It\'s about having a big name on the cover that counts. And the \"stars\" that really want to give it a go. If a certain media reaches a million audience then it not so farfetched that people want to jump on the wagon.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by folk prophet:
    Bowie isn\'t going to write a John Williamsesqu score no matter how big his name.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Exactly! Remember when Brian May put his name on a really bad robot-fighting game?

You don\'t?
    Well, then.... :-)

That\'s not good.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s good for me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think there is a place for \"name\" artists in game music, and I don\'t think it will take your job away. lending an atist name to your game will not only help sell the game, but the soundtrack with your music on it as well.
    Often as is seen in film, the star does a single or bit of source music and you still have a composer doing the majority of the score. The soundtrack is then sold, as was Titanic with Celine Dion, with the score and the single. Win/win if you ask me.
    Tim

Tim,

Did you do trailer music for Myst? I remember downloading some excellent music for a Myst game. Not sure if you\'re the same tim off of MP3.com.

Ed-

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-zq

Did you do trailer music for Myst?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hello Adam,
    Yes I did compose the music for that trailer, as well as the new one out for Uru. I also have the mp3 site, you can d/l the RM trailer music there, although I haven\'t been keeping that site up to date.
    FYI, there will be a soundtrack released in the very near future for Uru. Hopefully if you enjoyed the RealMyst music, you\'ll like the Uru soundtrack.
    Regards,
    Tim

Go Back to forum