• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: fav game soundtracks?

Share/Bookmark

fav game soundtracks?

Ok, donīt tell me you didnīt see this one coming... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

What are your favourite game soundtracks or those you consider an absolute not-to-miss? (translation: I want to hunt some great game soundtracks for purchase and want you to avoid me doing the research because Iīm a lazy bastard)

For me itīs \"Outcast\" as I said in another thread.

Re: fav game soundtracks?

Originally posted by Netvudu:
    Ok, donīt tell me you didnīt see this one coming... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

What are your favourite game soundtracks or those you consider an absolute not-to-miss? (translation: I want to hunt some great game soundtracks for purchase and want you to avoid me doing the research because Iīm a lazy bastard)

For me itīs \"Outcast\" as I said in another thread.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Outcast? Certainly one of the best.

some more, not numbered in order of preference...

1. Mechwarrior 2 /MW2 Merc\'s -
    Some great new-age/ambient/orchestral stuff. Bags of atmosphere, Love the games too... the new mechwarrior games by microsoft pale in comparison both in terms of music and atmosphere. Simply classic games, FASA made a big mistake taking the MW license away from Activision.

2. Command and Conquer/Red Alert- Some good tracks.

3. Total Annihilation - (Jeremy soule).

4. Starwars Jedi knight series - I know, I know, it\'s all music from the film, but it enhances the game experience for me so much. I love these games!

5. Tiefighter - Good ol\' general midi.

6. UFO enemy unknown - ahhh, nostalgia.

1- Monkey Island II, by Michael Land and Peter McConnel is just great. With those cheesy FM sounds, it achieved an incredible atmosphere, and IMUSE was incredible, music really flowed from one scene to another. Great
    2 - Grim Fandango by Peter McConnell. What can i say. Wow. That guy knows to do all kinds of music, it\'s impressive
    3 - MOHAA, by Michael Giacchino. Simply epic. Much better than his latest work in SWON, a little weak imo
    4 - Lately, the soundtrack i\'ve been more impressed by has been Mafia by Vladimir Simunek. Don\'t know if it has struck so much also for the game itself

Originally posted by guybrush threepwood:
    1- Monkey Island II, by Michael Land and Peter McConnel is just great. With those cheesy FM sounds, it achieved an incredible atmosphere, and IMUSE was incredible, music really flowed from one scene to another. Great
    2 - Grim Fandango by Peter McConnell. What can i say. Wow. That guy knows to do all kinds of music, it\'s impressive
    3 - MOHAA, by Michael Giacchino. Simply epic. Much better than his latest work in SWON, a little weak imo
    4 - Lately, the soundtrack i\'ve been more impressed by has been Mafia by Vladimir Simunek. Don\'t know if it has struck so much also for the game itself
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, Grim had some nice music... I especially liked the temple gate track (with the haunting flute) and both folk music tracks were catchy.

agreed, MOHAA was nice... I also didn\'t like the theme from SWON. A bit cheesy IMHO.

Actually... I think most Lucasarts adventures had great music.

If you\'re into the Media Ventures/Bill Brown sound, then Metal Gear Solid 2 is a great one.
    It\'s by Harry Gregson-Williams (who wrote the soundtrack for the movie Spy Game - another one I enjoy when I\'m in the mood for electronic/beats+ orchestra).

Unfortunately, as a marketing ploy, it\'s sold as two seperate CDs. If you only buy one, I\'d recommend the 2nd.

Grim Fandango definitely stands out in my opinion as well. Haven\'t heard anything like it since.
    I think I would add the Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets title to the list.
    Tim

Originally posted by D.DiAnda:
    If you\'re into the Media Ventures/Bill Brown sound, then Metal Gear Solid 2 is a great one.
    It\'s by Harry Gregson-Williams (who wrote the soundtrack for the movie Spy Game - another one I enjoy when I\'m in the mood for electronic/beats+ orchestra).

Unfortunately, as a marketing ploy, it\'s sold as two seperate CDs. If you only buy one, I\'d recommend the 2nd.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">About MGS2 ,
    I heard that the first CD was composed by
    Harry Gregson-Williams and the second CD by
    a guy working at Konami .

BTW , I love MGS2 too . Have you watched the
    MGS3 promotion movie ? Its composed by
    Harry Gregson-Williams and I love it .
    But the phrases inside the song sounds
    like \" The Rock \" . I also like Ghost Recon .
    And the Final Fantasy Series .

Veron

\"Outcast? Certainly one of the best.\"

One of my favs.

-&gt;Total Annihilation - (Jeremy soule).
    -&gt;Some of the general midi Doom stuff was very creepy.
    -&gt;Almost anything by Bill Brown.
    -&gt;Outwars. No idea who did it, but great stuff.
    -&gt;Homeworld 1.
    -&gt;Heavy Gear II
    -&gt;Headhunter. Far better than the MOH music, IMHO, which won the GANG award for best music.

A few more...

An older game, Outlaws by Lucas Arts.
    In addition to getting the whole team here hooked on the game, the music is real nice. The humor is what makes it such a cool old game.

And of course Wing Comander series, 7th Guest 11th hour, navy fighter etc. A bit of conflict of interest there though
    Dave

Thinking back at some of the old 8-bit, 16-bit console games and also PC games from from the late 80\'s and early 90\'s, I can\'t help but be impressed by some of the music written for those machines.

Composers had a million hardware restrictions placed on them with the least being that you were limited to a specific number of concurrent sounds. On top of which most of these built-in sounds did not even sound remotely anything like an acoustic instrument. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Zelda, the original Metal Gear, Bionic Commander, Earth Worm Jim, Chrono Trigger, Mega Man, Star Control, Prince of Persia, Secret of Mana, Monkey Island series, etc... just some fantastic music in these games, all in different styles... and most using dings and dongs.

I don\'t play video games that much anymore but with the newer stuff someone mentioned Mafia. The music in that game is excellent. Max Payne I liked, very atmospheric and appropiate. I liked the all orchestral fiesta of Medal of Honor but the music and orchestration was about as original as tuna salad on wholewheat.

Go Back to forum