• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cakewalk hesitating during audio capture

Share/Bookmark

Cakewalk hesitating during audio capture

I\'ve had this problem for a while, but recently it\'s become so bad I can\'t use audio capture.

I\'ve got a single channel set to the light Giga-Piano (with a reasonable amount of notes). When I use audio capture, cakewalk eventually hesitates somewhere in the song.

It would seem to be a memory problem, but I have what I\'ve always had . . . 128M RAM on a 366 Celeron. My sound card is a Yamaha Sound Crown that has been great. The only thing recently is that the static popping seems to stick, even after setting the \'Game Trouble Shooting\' until I hit all the notes at least once.

Maybe I just need to bump up to 256M RAM, or get a new soundcard, but I wondered if anyone else had audio capture problems like this?

Re: Cakewalk hesitating during audio capture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PatrickP:
    I\'ve had this problem for a while, but recently it\'s become so bad I can\'t use audio capture<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adding more RAM is certainly a good idea (especially given how how cheap it is now). You might also consider upgrading your CPU (I\'d be impressed if Cakewalk _didn\'t_ hesitate when trying to capture gigapiano on only a celeron 366).

But I\'m wondering if the hesitation has something to do with your hard drive. Have you defragmented recently? And how much free space on the drive you\'re recording to? (Reduced performance due to fragmentation could explain why recently you\'ve had more of a problem than in the past.)

psi

Thanks psi. I think the defrag did the trick.

Actually, the problem wasn\'t memory or a fragmented disk . . . I had to optimize my system. This mainly involved removing the wallpaper, setting DMA for the disks and turning off everything not needed that was hogging system resources. I know it\'s probably pretty elementary, but I haven\'t been using my setup lately and forgot how important it was!

I recommend that you experiment with different buffer settings on your sound card.

Lawrence

Go Back to forum