• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dealing with Ingame-Tracks...

Dealing with Ingame-Tracks...

Hi guys,

we are or most of us are musicians doing game music, so i have the next question about dealing with ingame music. what are your aspects of doing a good ingame track...

first we have to take care about dynamics and not too heavy or \"nervy\" hooklines and also not to take the advantage of the gamers ear to concentrace on the music. what are your aspects to think about doing good ingametracks ???

Re: Dealing with Ingame-Tracks...

It\'s funny, quite a bit has been said for not distracting the listener in a movie, and now games. I have to agree, but not entirely. It\'s one thing in a movie where the viewer has limited time to absorb the story, and even then, I can remember countless times that the music has caught my attention. Is that bad? I don\'t think so. But let\'s take the game scenario. The player doesn\'t have limited time. It\'s not linear. Granted if your playing Doom XXIV you don\'t want to be sitting back thinking about the counterpoint in the oboe part as you\'re being fragged by Magilla Gorilla, but what about an adventure game, where you\'re expolring, solving situations etc. Why not demand a bit more from your listener? They don\'t have to accept the commitment, but at least it\'s offered. I think too many scores play into what is expected without challenging or surprising the user. I want to hear something that piques my interest. That excites me, [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] although I am a bit bias , more so than most gameplay. I would expect that your audience would end up appreciating that in the long run.
    I believe you shouldn\'t be afraid to try something different. I know I have on several occasions, and have recieved nothing but positive comments from players rather than negative.
    I could go on and on about this, but I should probably save something for the rebuttals. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Like Tim mentioned. I believe it depends on the project.

Not to mention the limitations of the sound/music engine itself.

I tend to go for \"mood\" more than melody, generally because in non linear games a melodic hook can get quite annoying if it is repeated 8 billion times. Obviously this is only an issue on shorter tracks. If the track is 90 seconds I\'ll tend to stay away from making a distinct \"hook\" in any melody. I\'ll use motifs and reference them often enough, but not make them scream \"Hey listen to me!!!!\". However on longer cues, or cues that will be on a racing game. I\'d put in very distinct hooks. Adventure games I\'d put in defining melody lines. And in Cut Scenes, I ALWAYS try to make use of character themes.

To each there own tho.

These are jsut things I\'ve learned from mistakes I\'ve made with regards to my own preferences.

When I listen to some of the levels in Tomba 2 (first game I did), I say to myself \"cool hook\", then after about 20 minutes of gameplay I want to bash my head in. I\'ve got a BAD HABIT of making hooks in music. Its all that rock n roll and pop music influence.

Other things to think about. Make use of frequency ranges. Alternate high/treble instrument sections, and bass sections. It can tend to add space and depth without crowding the whole frequency domain (like a pop song). Its a bad habit for us to get away from, unless you\'ve got a good music engine that will lower (or better yet EQ) the music when \"needed\" (like post pro/editing in a movie)

Welcome back.

only the game forum

There\'s too much temptation in the other forums. There\'s alot of info that should/needs to be shared thats just not worth the backlash.

I\'m staying away from topics about libraries.

Do you think the Sox will do it?

only if I can find my left one. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hehe, thx so far,

yes i know we have to take care about several \"laws\" and some points but i think all in all we are pretty free to make music.

i also intend to do also more dynamic musicalpieces for ingame music. so in the mix i take care to compress it a little more. in this moment i dont really care about if the loudest beat of a drum is compressed or a very soft hook of an oboe i probably as loud as the following heavier string part.

the effect as an ingame track will be that, when you hear it very soft in the background, you hear all dynamics and also the lowest parts but its always there. i hate the effect when the music seems to fade out but it isn\'t really. it\'s only a very low part in the game and then you have a crescendo and the music feels like its too loud.

so i generally see no problem to compress classical stuff very hard for ingame feature.

but all in all i guess its a big matter of taste to do good songs for all situation. think it\'s like i red in other posts, whether you have it or not [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum